PDA

View Full Version : To all you Alomar nay-sayers

soxfan45
07-01-2003, 02:46 PM
What are we waiting for, another 10 years of rebuilding.
This year is ripe for us to win the division. Noone is stepping
up in the AL Central. Either we get rid of all of our free agents
and go young and rebuild again (for the 5th time in 10 years) or we go for it. Yes we paid a lot in giving up Ring but I think that this AL Central is ours for the taking.

We've also got 3 good playoff starters in Loiza, Burlhe, and Colon (who has playoff experience). I don't think that Kenny had a choice here. He made a call, gave up a lot, but got a guy who is experienced in the playoffs, plays fundemental baseball extremely well, and can field with the best of them.

I cannot believe that anyone would not like the timing of this deal.

Yeah sure we will see Ring up here in 3 years with Mags, Frank, Burlhe, Garland, Colon, and Lee gone. Gimme a break.

B. Diddy
07-01-2003, 02:50 PM
I agree completely.

boog_alou
07-01-2003, 02:51 PM
I understand your "the time is now" sentiment, but does this deal make sense for the Sox? Alomar is hitting worse than Jiminez, and did last year as well. That means he is only a defensive upgrade. Is the loss of Ring and Almonte worth a defensive upgrade?

thecell
07-01-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by soxfan45
What are we waiting for, another 10 years of rebuilding.
This year is ripe for us to win the division. Noone is stepping
up in the AL Central. Either we get rid of all of our free agents
and go young and rebuild again (for the 5th time in 10 years) or we go for it. Yes we paid a lot in giving up Ring but I think that this AL Central is ours for the taking.

We've also got 3 good playoff starters in Loiza, Burlhe, and Colon (who has playoff experience). I don't think that Kenny had a choice here. He made a call, gave up a lot, but got a guy who is experienced in the playoffs, plays fundemental baseball extremely well, and can field with the best of them.

I cannot believe that anyone would not like the timing of this deal.

Yeah sure we will see Ring up here in 3 years with Mags, Frank, Burlhe, Garland, Colon, and Lee gone. Gimme a break.

EXACTLY!

A.T. Money
07-01-2003, 02:55 PM
Jimenez hitting better than Alomar? Hah!

Alomar could care less about the Mutts. Now, he's with Sandy, Bartolo, and a team on the UP. He's going to turn it up now baby. He's a scary bat, and does quite a bit of damage when he's happy.

How soon can he be here? Today?

Fisk Fan
07-01-2003, 02:56 PM
I can't wait to see what the Flubs do to draw attention away from this trade......

BTW, it's nice to see a team in this town take a chance for once. While it may not be the right choice, at least we are getting a proven commodity rather than potential, and we'll never really know until after the deal is done.

Tragg
07-01-2003, 02:57 PM
The how about a REAL second baseman; not one over the hill.

Something like the As got last year.

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 02:57 PM
Man, for our sake, Kennys sake, and the Future of the Sox,
I hope Robby gets here and hits .300, but Im feeling the SAME
EXACT WAY I felt when we gave up Fogg, Wells for Ritchie.
If the SOX WERENT SO CHEAP (making the Mets eat this yrs
salary 3.9 Million) we probably Keep these Good Prospects.
Thats all Im mad about

kermittheefrog
07-01-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by boog_alou
I understand your "the time is now" sentiment, but does this deal make sense for the Sox? Alomar is hitting worse than Jiminez, and did last year as well. That means he is only a defensive upgrade. Is the loss of Ring and Almonte worth a defensive upgrade?

What would be smart is to use Alomar at second and Jimenez at third.

jortafan
This deal makes perfect sense if one believes that this year is finally THE YEAR, the one in which we win not only a division title, but actually make it through the playoffs and win the first pennant since 1959.

If our Sox, with the Alomar brothers, is just good enough to win the division and get its butt knocked out in three straight, then it was a waste of future talent for a pointless goal (only the pennant winners get remembered, not the division winners).

I'm pleased to see our management is thinking in terms of winning now. We've waited long enough. And if we fail again this year, then we can seriously demand KW's head on a pike. Cost him his job.

Jerko
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
I can't wait to see what the Flubs do to draw attention away from this trade......

BTW, it's nice to see a team in this town take a chance for once. While it may not be the right choice, at least we are getting a proven commodity rather than potential, and we'll never really know until after the deal is done.

I guarantee WGN will show when Alomar spit on that ump just because we abused Sham-ME all weekend. You watch.

34 Inch Stick
07-01-2003, 02:59 PM
You are right the division is ripe for the taking. However, this move really does not put us in a much better position to win if it stops here. This move better be the first in a series. The next call should be to Houston offering them Doh to fill their serious second base gap. Then we still need a centerfielder/leadoff hitter with speed. If we plan on reshaping the top of the lineup I can accept this trade. If it is our only move I think it was a mistake to give up Ring.

WinningUgly!
07-01-2003, 03:01 PM
At least he looks good in our colors. :)

Konerkoholic
07-01-2003, 03:03 PM
Awesome image, because it shows a Sox hitter who is able to lay down a successful bunt.

thecell
07-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Thats all Im mad about

Maybe KW has another deal in the works where he can use that $4 million.

B. Diddy
07-01-2003, 03:06 PM

I'd rather have Alomar's crappy bat than DJ's crappy glove. So what if he's only hitting .260? Bat him 9th and let Frank, Mags, Carlos, and Jose take care of the offense. Hell, Paulie might even pull out of his slump! We definitely needed to strengthen our middle infield and I'm glad we did.

soxfan45
07-01-2003, 03:09 PM
I don't mean to reminince but remember when we got Julio Cruz as our 2nd baseman in 1983???? Yea, he didn't do anything after 1983 except sign a huge contract and take money, but he did spark us to win the division.

I know what many are thinking about going only to the 1st stage. (ie. AL Central) But I think that you add a great fielder, a sound executor in bunting, parlee that with 3 starters who can individually shut down a team and win a 5 game series, you've
got to go for it becuase at least 2 of those 3 pitchers will probably
not be with us next year.....ya know....

Iguana775
07-01-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan

Sosa will have a HR and 3 K's and the Cubune will have that on front page with a little note on the bottom about the trade.

spanishwhite
07-01-2003, 03:52 PM

Alomar .262 .336
Jimenez .255 .332

Alomar hasn't had a set spot in New York.
When is hitting lead off his OBP is.364

He hits the best when he is number 2 .290 (suprise!)

And he is completely horrible hitting number 3. And yet he has
had more abs at 1 and 3.

He isn't a worse hitter than Jimenez, at worse he is as good
as Jimenez. And he has about seven gold gloves, so this is an
upgrade. You don't think the starting rotation isn't salivating at
the prosect of having a vacuum at second base.

kevingrt
07-01-2003, 03:56 PM
Only thing is what he does in the clubhouse... I think he wiill come back on the field and at the plate... just need to watch out in the clubhouse, and hopefully Sandy will help him like he did in Cleveland.

Scotty347
07-01-2003, 04:06 PM
A great move, especially considering it hopefully with get DJ out of the lineup and off the basepaths. You could kind of see the writing on the wall for him the last couple weeks. When Darrin Jackson started badmouthing him (which he does to nobody on the Sox) I should have known that the organization was going to make a move. Instead of complaining and worrying about prospects who may never turn out, isn't it nice to be a buyer in July instead of a seller? This is great timing as this team appears to be getting on a roll. Hopefully this gives the team a shot in the arm. Also hope Crede's HR yesterday was enough to convince JM to keep DJ on the bench and not try him at 3rd, he was brutal out there Sunday. With Crede at 3rd and Alomar at 2nd, our infield looks a lot more solid defensively.
Lets platoon Willie Harris and Roward in CF unless we are able to make another move for a CF this month.

xil357
07-01-2003, 04:13 PM
What would be smart is to use Alomar at second and Jimenez at third.

AHHHKKKK. Please no. Please tell me that was supposed to be in teal.

Crede can bat #9 for all I care but his defense makes the pitchers even better.

I don't mean to reminince but remember when we got Julio Cruz as our 2nd baseman in 1983???? Yea, he didn't do anything after 1983 except sign a huge contract and take money, but he did spark us to win the division.

I know what many are thinking about going only to the 1st stage. (ie. AL Central) But I think that you add a great fielder, a sound executor in bunting, parlee that with 3 starters who can individually shut down a team and win a 5 game series, you've
got to go for it becuase at least 2 of those 3 pitchers will probably
not be with us next year.....ya know....

Yep. I hope you are wrong and the Sox instead decide to keep Colon and Loaiza and RE-LOAD for another run in 2004 if they make the playoffs but lose in the first round. KC is a flash in the pan, Minny has peaked, the Tigers are years away and Cleveland still is developing. The Sox are in prime position to dominate the AL Central for the next 2 years.

Thats all Im mad about

Amen.

I would have preferred Castillo and Pierre from the Fish, but perhaps its not too late to go get Pierre for some other B prospects and Jiminez.

Sox pitching prospects are going to look better going to the NL, and it has nothing to do with the Sox farm system's ability to develop them. It has to do with the fact that lineups are weaker in the NL (no DH and a free out in the #9 hole), which makes pitchers look better over there.

I remain cautiously optimistic about the Alomar deal and hope its the first of several moves to solidify the defense up the middle, get guys on base for the sluggers who are starting to heat up, and ideally perhaps add some left-handed pop to the lineup (may be supplied by Daubach).

CF and leadoff is still a major hole on this team. Singleton solves only one problem. Pierre solves both problems.

boog_alou
07-01-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
Alomar .262 .336
Jimenez .255 .332

Alomar hasn't had a set spot in New York.
When is hitting lead off his OBP is.364

He isn't a worse hitter than Jimenez, at worse he is as good
as Jimenez. And he has about seven gold gloves, so this is an
upgrade. You don't think the starting rotation isn't salivating at
the prosect of having a vacuum at second base.
I notice you left out the slugging percentage stat? Since coming to NY, Alomar has no power. This season, Jiminez's slugging percentage is more than 50 points higher than Alomar. That is why Jiminez's OPS is about 50 points higher.

thecell
07-01-2003, 04:27 PM
I notice you left out the slugging percentage stat? Since coming to NY, Alomar has no power. This season, Jiminez's slugging percentage is more than 50 points higher than Alomar. That is why Jiminez's OPS is about 50 points higher.

Yeah, he should have included it and then noted that Shea is a pitcher's ballpark.