PDA

View Full Version : Sidney Ponson

gosox3072
07-01-2003, 01:21 PM
I was listenin to the score last night and they talked alot about the whitesox picking up Sidney Ponson, in fact the guy talking (i dont know his name) said it is likely that the sox will pick him up.

What do you think about this? A rotation of Burhle, Loaiza, Colon, Ponson, and Garland would by far be the best in baseball.

A.T. Money
07-01-2003, 01:29 PM
It would definitely be respectable. Put Wright in the pen.

I think we still need another stick. Either Alomar and Castillo at 2nd base.

Iguana775
07-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
It would definitely be respectable. Put Wright in the pen.

I think we still need another stick. Either Alomar and Castillo at 2nd base.

if we got Ponson and Castillo, i'd feel very good about our chances.

JRIG
07-01-2003, 01:33 PM
There's been talk of the Sox aquiring Ponson for a couple years now.

In my opinion he's an average at best guy who's been overworked by Mike Hargrove and is a good candidate for a major arm injury. Our resources would be better spent elsewhere. The rotation has been one of the brightest spots of this team. I'm very comfortable with Loaiza, Buehrle, Colon, and Garland. As we've seen, Jerry likes to skip the #5 guy as much as possible anyway. Frankly, I'd take Garland over Ponson anyway IMHO. He's given up 2 earned runs or less in 7 of his last 9 starts.

The clear hole on this team is in centerfield . Any prospects that we might give to the O's should be saved in case a CFer becomes available.

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by gosox3072
I was listenin to the score last night and they talked alot about the whitesox picking up Sidney Ponson, in fact the guy talking (i dont know his name) said it is likely that the sox will pick him up.

What do you think about this? A rotation of Burhle, Loaiza, Colon, Ponson, and Garland would by far be the best in baseball.

I met Sidney earlier in the year when they were here, and told him to NOT accept a trade to the Cubs. btw, who is Tim Vincent?

joecrede
07-01-2003, 02:16 PM
What would you think of this ....

Dealing for Ponson and then dealing Colon to re-stock the system?

B. Diddy
07-01-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
There's been talk of the Sox aquiring Ponson for a couple years now.

In my opinion he's an average at best guy who's been overworked by Mike Hargrove and is a good candidate for a major arm injury. Our resources would be better spent elsewhere. The rotation has been one of the brightest spots of this team. I'm very comfortable with Loaiza, Buehrle, Colon, and Garland. As we've seen, Jerry likes to skip the #5 guy as much as possible anyway. Frankly, I'd take Garland over Ponson anyway IMHO. He's given up 2 earned runs or less in 7 of his last 9 starts.

The clear hole on this team is in centerfield . Any prospects that we might give to the O's should be saved in case a CFer becomes available.

I disagree for the following reasons:

(1) The "overworked" issue applies to Colon as well, who has pitched more innings and complete games than Ponson. That didn't stop KW from picking him up. So far, so good. I'd say that Ponson, at a much lower value salary-wise, is worth the gamble.

(2) CF is a hole, but they could always move Mags there (wouldn't be the first time) and put Daubach or Rowand in RF.

(3) As the Yankees and Braves have demonstrated over the past decade, strong pitching will almost always get you into the playoffs. Yeah, you only need 3 pitchers for the playoffs, but we're more than half a season away from that. Yeah, JM will skip the #5 guy in the rotation sometimes. But our long relief is shaky as well. Why not replace the godawful Rick White with Danny Wright? Everyone here saw how a strong bullpen (Wunsch and Lowe, in particular) contributed to 95 wins three years ago. In addition, we only have two starters that could be considered "studs." Wouldn't Ponson be great insurance for when/if Loaiza and Garland fall back to reality?

hold2dibber
07-01-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by gosox3072

Sidney Ponson? Come on - the guy isn't much better than Wright. This is the first year of his career in which he's been anything other than a major disappointment (just happens to be his contract year, surpirse, surprise). I would much rather the Sox go find another stick than trade for Ponson.

gosox3072
07-01-2003, 05:10 PM
For you Hangar, tim vincent is on of my friend's brother and he graduated from Galena High School. He went to Northern Illinois and was invited to the Chicago Bears Training Camp. He probably wont make the team but it still cool to see a guy go that far from a town of 3500

fquaye149
07-01-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
I disagree for the following reasons:

(2) CF is a hole, but they could always move Mags there (wouldn't be the first time) and put Daubach or Rowand in RF.

this would keep us from being a good team. this is not a solution, i'm afraid