dangerous hes gonna be. THIS of course, BAITED callers
to talk about how Sammy is coming around and hes gonna
start hitting blah blah blah. THey mentioned the Sox Winning
and went back to Sammy talk. The 7oclock hour comes, and
Murph decides he wants to get off the subject, and talk about
the tragedy on the north side with the porch. Well Murph,
the day to talk about this was SUNDAY.....maybe even Monday
morning, NOT TODAY. Theyre currently STILL TALKING about
everything EVERYBODY ALREADY KNOWS. hes giving me NOTHING NEW, and no new insite, just more Garbage what I knew Sunday. yeah, its a tragedy, the porch pulls away, hes
coming down on the Alderman, but in the scheme of things,
If I want to know about the porch incident, i'll watch the NEWS,
I Dont want to hear HIM talking about it. I hope he reads this,
because its another reason to NOT TALK ABOUT THE SOX.
what he'll do, is see that I wrote this, and then call me a Jealous
SOx fan, who doesnt have a kind bone in his body. No murph,
its not that at all. I dont want to hear you talking about
Porch COnstruction, Aldermanic Affairs, Local Politics, Bernard Stones ulterior motives, Physics and any other BS that YOU have no expertise in. its 7:40 and hes got callers talking about
how the accident couldve happened. nice show murph

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 07:58 AM
Someone mustve complained about the WSCR's new ALL NEWS
format, because now Murph is lambasting the Cubs for not
winning, and Shawn Estes in particular, and how they shouldve
had Thome on the team instead. Hes talking about trade
rumors and who could Help the Cubs. its 8am and they STILL HAVE NOT TALKED AT LENGTH AT ALL, about our GREAT SOX WIN LAST NITE. hmmmm, i will keep everyone posted....

harwar
07-01-2003, 08:10 AM
I try and like murph but he makes it impossible.He does this kind of thing all the time.They will have a baseball guy on supposedly to talk about the White Sox and murph will ALWAYS dominate the conversation and talk ALL cubs.What he did this morning is amazing though,even for him.White Sox fans were calling in like crazy because we are all fired up and he couldn't stand it.The only hosts that i bother to listen to any more are J.Hood & Julie Swieca.

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 08:13 AM
its 8:15 and the Murph and the Score are talking interstate
commerce law...and how the anti-trust exemption and contraction work together. Still no sign of Talking about the WHITE SOX VICTORY LAST NITE

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 08:27 AM
8:25 and theyre playing Estes cub interview, how his pitch
was bad, and poor cubs. Murphy is bitching about how
Thome is a Philly, and hes currently Dissecting his Contract
and how it couldve Worked for the Cubs, if theyd spend money.
STILL NO TALKING ABOUT THE SOX YET

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 08:29 AM
Were going on 2 hours of No White Sox being Talked about
on the Score....lets See if we can make it til the 9am hour!!!!

mandmandm
07-01-2003, 08:39 AM
Probably have a better chance hearing Sox talk on the national ESPN 1000 Mike and Mike show.

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 08:44 AM
its 8:40am now and Murphs talking with some guy from the Illinois Gaming Commission about some new taxes and other bs like that. We have a REAL SHOT of getting into the 9am Hour
and STILL NO WHITE SOX BEING TALKED ABOUT. Murph, before the commercial break, noted the big headline in the CubTimes
about the Sox (making you think he was going to talk about it...heh heh but no way) For those of you just tuning in,
The Score has not talked about the Sox since 6:30ish this
morning. Sox Win was a big big WIN last nite, but somehow
INterstate commerce, cub talk, porch collapses, slot machine taxes, riverboat gambling, more cub talk, exemption law, cub talk are all ive heard This Morning. NO SOX TALK just yet....
but i'll let you know asap!!!!

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 09:06 AM
HURRAH!!! weve hit the 9oclock hour, and Still No SOX TALK.
Murph is reading emails, trying to figure out what the CUbs
Need. also talking more about last nites Cub Loss

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 09:14 AM
9:10 now, and theyre talking about Lenny Harris vs. Karas
at first and third base. gave props to him for the "circus" catch,
and hes wondering who will/should play 3rd for the cubs.
Still No Sign Whatsoever about the SOX

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 09:26 AM
9:25 AM now, and theyre doing a goofy segment on
which manager/coach will be fired first in Chicago. BOoooRingg.
still NO SOX TALK SINCE 6:30 this morning!!!

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 09:37 AM
Its now 9:30 and Murph and the Cub Morning SHow has
gone 3 Hours Now without talking about the Sox. Instead,
Murph just now gave us a Injury Update on some of the cub
minor leaguers. Mentioned that Guzman has shoulder
problems, and may have to shut it down the rest of the year.
Think Murph wants to AVOID talking about How Good the SOX
are looking right now....

bobj4400
07-01-2003, 09:39 AM
If I remember correctly, as recently as two weeks ago, Murph was arguing to Fred that the Sox were out of it, and Sox fans should give up on the season. Maybe he thinks if he ignores the Sox they will go away...

gosox41
07-01-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Its now 9:30 and Murph and the Cub Morning SHow has
gone 3 Hours Now without talking about the Sox. Instead,
Murph just now gave us a Injury Update on some of the cub
minor leaguers. Mentioned that Guzman has shoulder
problems, and may have to shut it down the rest of the year.
Think Murph wants to AVOID talking about How Good the SOX
are looking right now....

9:45 and Julie finally comes on and talks White Sox baseball. Of course the Cubs come up a little bit in conversation.

Bob

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 09:42 AM
wow, its 9:39am and Julie Swieca is on the phone, and Murph
FINALLY HAS CAVED IN and after THREE Hours and 39 minutes...
Theyre talking SOX now. Talking about how Hot they are
and talking about how Manuel has been a different guy, more
demonstrative than normal.

xil357
07-01-2003, 09:46 AM
9:10 now, and theyre talking about Lenny Harris vs. Karas
at first and third base. gave props to him for the "circus" catch,
and hes wondering who will/should play 3rd for the cubs.
Still No Sign Whatsoever about the SOX

Hangar and others:

We Delta Force operatives and Sox Army regulars need to cite this thread specifically, by copying and pasting the text of this thread, into the letters and e-mails that we send to WSCR management and their advertisers. This is only one specific example (of many examples) that show an ongoing Cubs bias that is driving a large demographic of Sox fans away from WSCR. Casual fans simply won't hear the ads that these companies buy on WSCR, but dedicated fans like us actively will boycott, and encourage others to boycott, WSCR and those companies that invest their advertising dollars in WSCR.

Here is a sample e-mail text that all my use/adapt to their specific purposes.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please see the attached text which is an analysis that empirically proves the anti-Sox, pro-Cubs bias of WSCR morning host Mike Murphy.

As an admitted Cubs fan, Murphy deliberately incites listeners to discuss Cubs topics at the expense of talking about the White Sox. As an advertiser, consider these ramifications to the effectiveness of the advertising dollars you invest in WSCR and Mike Murphy's show:

First, Murphy's blatant pro-Cubs bias and focus is driving away casual White Sox fans, of whom there are many, from listening to Murphy specifically and WSCR as a whole. There are tens of thousands of radio listeners who will not hear the advertisements for your products and services on WSCR and so therefore are more likely to purchse those products and services from your competitors.

Second, we as die-hard life-long White Sox fans have decided to implement a widespread but targeted campaign of boycotting all businesses who advertise during Mike Murphy's show. We deliberately will purchase products and services from the competitors of Murphy's sponsors, and we will tell them exactly why we are patronizing them instead and will encourage them to target other Sox fans with their marketing.

Third, we will use any and all means at our disposal to promulgate word of our boycott (of both WSCR and Murphy's sponsors) to casual Sox fans and friends, family members, co-workers and acquaintances, including White Sox Interactive (www.whitesoxinteractive.com), e-mail, flyers, phone calls and personal conversations.

If you wish to avert the adverse impact these boycotts, please immediately discontinue your advertising with WSCR and especially Mike Murphy's morning show. In lieu of this, we strongly urge you to spend your advertising dollars on White Sox radio and television broadcasts, on advertisements at U.S. Cellular Field and other White Sox events and literature such as SoxFest, game-day promotions and game programs, and/or sponsorship of White Sox Interactive. Upon cessation of your sponsorship of Mike Murphy and WSCR and new/renewed/increased sponsorship of the Chicago White Sox themselves, our boycott will terminate.

Sincerely,

xil357
07-01-2003, 09:48 AM
wow, its 9:39am and Julie Swieca is on the phone, and Murph
FINALLY HAS CAVED IN and after THREE Hours and 39 minutes...
Theyre talking SOX now. Talking about how Hot they are
and talking about how Manuel has been a different guy, more
demonstrative than normal.

9:39 a.m. -- After great numbers of listeners have started their work day after begninng their work days at 9 a.m. This is the exception that proves the rule.

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 09:54 AM
its 9:50, and theyre in a commercial break, and supposedly
are going to take Calls. I'll believe it when I hear it. What
I want to know is, why does Murph need to wait for a Guest
(Swieca) to take calls about the Sox. Is he that out of touch
with the other team in town (only 8miles away from the Urinal)
Nice Sportscasting Murph......

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 09:59 AM
they took 2 calls, and the shows over now....
so in a 3 hour span, the SOX got 20 minutes of PrimeTime....
thats AWFUL

harwar
07-01-2003, 10:12 AM
I e-mailed murph daring him to read it on the air but of course he didn't(the coward).I was on hold to go on the air but never got on(said i wanted to talk cubs).They probably would have cut me off anyway.I am going to try and contact the station manager today but i doubt if he will care."the score"sucks,pure and simple,except for Julie Swieca & J.Hood.

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by harwar
I e-mailed murph daring him to read it on the air but of course he didn't(the coward).I was on hold to go on the air but never got on(said i wanted to talk cubs).They probably would have cut me off anyway.I am going to try and contact the station manager today but i doubt if he will care."the score"sucks,pure and simple,except for Julie Swieca & J.Hood. \

The Score has CALLER ID, so if they know youve talked SOX before, and now you want to "talk cub", they just wont put you
on, and figure you'll hang up after waiting and waiting and waiting on hold. I know theyre tricks already. Its why they
WONT PUT ME ON ANYMORE. Interesting little Delta Force Tidbit
I thought Id share with you all

Viva Magglio
07-01-2003, 10:42 AM
I may have been half asleep at the time, but I believe Murph did talk about the White Sox from 5:30 a.m. to 6:30 a.m. this morning. So he led off with the White Sox. Also, Fred was not there today.

xil357
07-01-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I may have been half asleep at the time, but I believe Murph did talk about the White Sox from 5:30 a.m. to 6:30 a.m. this morning. So he led off with the White Sox. Also, Fred was not there today.

Rapture! The Sox get the two worst segments on the entire morning show. Who the heck listens from 5:30 to 6:30 a.m.? And of those that do, who is awake? Even when I worked at the Old Style distributorship in Joliet in 94/95, and we began the day at 7 a.m., I wasn't out of bed until 6:30. And of the last 20 minutes of the show, after 9:39 a.m., how much of those 20 minutes were commercials, programming notes, spots, etc. How many minutes did Murph REALLY talk about the Sox?

The peak times of the morning drive are 7 to 9 a.m. In comparison, 9 to 10 is dead time. The midday "peak" in the radio business is from 10 to 2, when blue collar delivery guys are out and about (This peak is not as high as the morning peak). There is another lull from 2 to 4, and then the afternoon drive peak is from 4 to 6 (again not as high as the morning peak but higher than midday), with lower numbers from 3 to 4 and from 6 to 7.

Viva Magglio
07-01-2003, 10:58 AM
The Score is not "all Cubs, all the time." I've listened to the station for over ten years. First of all, here are the team loyalties of Score personnel:

Mike Murphy: Cubs
Fred Huebner: White Sox
Dan Bernstein: White Sox
Terry Boers: White Sox (according to Les, IIRC)
Mike North: White Sox (or so he claims despite signs that he's a closet Cub fan)
Doug Buffone: Both (doesn't indicate leanings one way or the other)
Dan Jiggetts: White Sox
J. Hood: White Sox
George Ofman: Cubs (claims "Both," but clearly leans Cubs)
Jesse Rogers: Cubs (but is a frontrunner who will switch to the Sox if they're doing better than the Cubs)
Dave Baum: Reds
Steve Rosenbloom: Inconclusive (rips both pretty well)
Laurence Holmes: White Sox
Dan Zampillo: Cubs
Joe Bartosch: Cubs
Julie Swieca: White Sox
David Schuster: White Sox
Dave Kerner: White Sox

And ESPN Radio 1000 Personalities:
Dan McNeil: White Sox
John Jurkovic: Cubs
Harry Teinowitz: Cubs
Les Grobstein: Cubs
Tommy Williams: Pirates
Dave Wills: Gee, I'm not sure!
Bruce Levine: Cubs (?)

Lip Man 1
07-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Murph and that radio station thank you all for listening, for what four hours?

They couldn't care less if you love them or hate them as long as you listen.

You just made their day by spending your entire morning listening to them.

I'm not trying to attack anybody but frankly who gives a damn if that station cares about the Sox or not.

You can get all the Sox talk you need at WSI and on the "official" Sox web sites and on ESPN.com.

It seems to me that this has become a battle of wills (not Willis!) between those "conspiracy buffs," who are dead set to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the media hates the Sox (and that Oswald didn't act alone...) and the media outlets themselves.

The best way for the Sox to get all the publicity they want or need is to WIN MORE GAMES, start getting along with the media (I'm referring to the front office and upper management) and to start spending some damn money.

Get to a World Series and NO media in the Chicago area would dare ignore the Sox. Till then what have the Sox actually done to deserve the type of coverage that some of you want? Since the strike they made the playoffs one time and had a grand total of three winning seasons (one of which had 83 wins!)

Do the Cubs get "unfair" media coverage based on what they have accomplished on the field...without question yes but they also know how to market their team and kiss the media's ass.

That's life.

Now the Sox have to adjust instead of digging their heels in and blaming the media for their own troubles. (As Kenny Williams did before spring training two years ago.)

Lip

xil357
07-01-2003, 11:11 AM
\

The Score has CALLER ID, so if they know youve talked SOX before, and now you want to "talk cub", they just wont put you
on, and figure you'll hang up after waiting and waiting and waiting on hold. I know theyre tricks already. Its why they
WONT PUT ME ON ANYMORE. Interesting little Delta Force Tidbit
I thought Id share with you all

Will they take calls from phone numbers that are using the caller ID block feature? I suppose not.

What someone needs to do is get the number for the Score's guest line, the line to which other hosts or celebrities may call. (Here in Dallas, Mavs owner Mark Cuban has been known to just call in on his own -- without being called by a producer -- to explain what he may believe is an error about the Mavs on the part of a host. Owners, coaches and players all listen and some of them call in unsolicited sometimes.)

If we are going to e-mail, we can just sign up for free yahoo or hotmail addresses, using bogus names and addresses during the registration process. Think about signing up for e-mail names that would not give away your identity as Sox fans. For example, NewLenoxBearsFan60451@yahoo.com or Jordan2345MVP@hotmail.com. Heck, even use a screen name like BearsChick38DD@yahoo.com. Let's use the anonymity of the Internet to our advantage. Also, think about sending faxes from your computer to the Score's fax line. That way you don't have to even own a fax machine or stand by it waiting for the fax to go through.

POUND THEM WITH UNCEASING E-MAIL CARPET BOMBINGS

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

It seems to me that this has become a battle of wills (not Willis!) between those "conspiracy buffs," who are dead set to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the media hates the Sox (and that Oswald didn't act alone...) and the media outlets themselves.

Get to a World Series and NO media in the Chicago area would dare ignore the Sox. Till then what have the Sox actually done to deserve the type of coverage that some of you want?

Now the Sox have to adjust instead of digging their heels in and blaming the media for their own troubles. (As Kenny Williams did before spring training two years ago.)

Lip

Thats fine and dandy and totally the right way to think about things, but what have the Cubs accomplished? This is the team that nearly Lost 100 Games 4 of the last 6 years..... That certainly doesnt warrant the hordes of love and attention this team is accorded by the Media. However, Id really like to see
how the Media would REACT to the sox reaching the postseason.
I dont believe they'd go overboard at all personally.....
thats why im here. To eventually prove it.....

xil357
07-01-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Murph and that radio station thank you all for listening, for what four hours?

They couldn't care less if you love them or hate them as long as you listen.

You just made their day by spending your entire morning listening to them.

I'm not trying to attack anybody but frankly who gives a damn if that station cares about the Sox or not.

You can get all the Sox talk you need at WSI and on the "official" Sox web sites and on ESPN.com.

The best way for the Sox to get all the publicity they want or need is to WIN MORE GAMES, start getting along with the media (I'm referring to the front office and upper management) and to start spending some damn money.

Get to a World Series and NO media in the Chicago area would dare ignore the Sox. Till then what have the Sox actually done to deserve the type of coverage that some of you want? Since the strike they made the playoffs one time and had a grand total of three winning seasons (one of which had 83 wins!)

Do the Cubs get "unfair" media coverage based on what they have accomplished on the field...without question yes but they also know how to market their team and kiss the media's ass.

That's life.

Lip

Lip, I agree that the Sox need to improve their fan and media relations, and that winning will go a long way toward offsetting the obvious pro-Cubs bias and overwhelming Cubs coverage.

However, I don't think it is a conspiracy at all. A conspiracy is something done in secret. There is nothing secretive going on here that people of average intellect (or even children) can't comprehend. Media executives are making understandable and reasonable business descisions based on the information they have at their hands.

If you are an average, run of the mill media exec, your job is to maximize the profits of your corporation. You do that by selling ads. You sell ads for higher prices if you can show that you are pulling in listeners/viewers/subscribers from demographics with money. Unfortunately, in the radio business that is based on Arbitron numbers. How many people have Arbitron Diaries? That's right. Very few. There are no more than, at most, a couple thousand Arbitron diaries floating around in Chicago. It is upon those diaries that radio ratings are based, which in turn sets ad rates. For newspapers, its based more on subscription numbers and on the data of people who respond to subscriber (and now web registrants) surveys.

But more simply, if an advertiser sees that:
1. The Cubs draw more fans to games
2. Hosts take more calls from Cubs fans on WSCR (especially in the most lucrative and most-listened-to morning drive hour)
3. The Trib, which owns the Cubs, is the #1 paper in town
4. Cubs telecasts seemingly have larger viewership

they consequently and naturally will assume that there are more Cubs fans, and if they are smart, they are going to put more of their money into Cubs outlets. Media execs are going to realize this and target Cubs fans because they too have empirical data to back up a hypothesis that there are more Cubs fans than Sox fans. They want to maximize profits.

Now, I personally really hate it when folks bitch about something but never do anything about it. As a pragmatist, I am going to suggest things that we as Sox fans can do to rectify what we see as a problem -- more coverage and more positive coverage of the Cubs in the media.

Both teams have had their share of mediocrity and disappointments. But the Sox have a better record over the histories of the organizations and within the last 10 years. They have had more post-season appearances (93 and 00) as division winners, whereas the Cubs have one wild-card berth. So, it isn't because the Cubs have had great success that they get more attention, more column inches and more airtime. It is because the media execs believe that it is more profitable to target what they believe is a larger demographic, which has been fostered by the Tribune Corp. (who bring tremendous PR talents, of course) and their exposure, over the past 20 years, on a national cable network. (Yes I know the Sox also are on WGN but only for the last decade and not to the extent that the Cubs have been.)

The media executives and advertisers need to be educated through a wide-scale reward and punishment boycott that targets them where they will feel it most -- in the wallets.

Do I think that a boycott of the White Sox would be effective? Well, maybe it would drop attendance even more and the team would cut payroll even more, leading to a downward spiral that would culminate in the Sox moving to greener pastures in Portland or Nashville after the lease at the Cell expires. Is that what we want?

I don't like the owner but if given the choice I'd rather have the Sox on the south side of Chicago with a bad owner than in Tennessee or Oregon with a better owner.

If the value of the White Sox franchise is increased as a result of more corporate sponsorships, higher attendance and most importantly, winning, then and only then will Reinsdorf and his partners consider selling the team at a huge profit.

JFK assassination = conspiracy (how the hell can a "magic" bullet make multiple acute angle turns and still inflict eight wounds -- including bone damage -- between Kennedy and Connally, yet remain almost completely unblemished, to say nothing of the dozens of other questionable conclusions and missing evidence in the Warren Report?)

Pro-Cubs bias in the media = understandable economic phenomenon based on decisions made in reaction to incomplete data that ignores factors like Sox fans who don't support the team when it doesn't win and who despise the ownership.

chisoxt
07-01-2003, 12:09 PM
they took 2 calls, and the shows over now....
so in a 3 hour span, the SOX got 20 minutes of PrimeTime....
thats AWFUL

Murph did talk for a while between 6:15 and 7:00 about the Sox, and had Davis Shuster on to report on last night's game. The discussion on Murph's part was fairly solid Sopx talk during that time.

gosox3072
07-01-2003, 12:15 PM
To make you guys feel any better while i was driving home from the game last night about 9:45-11:15 it was alomst exclusivly all whitesox talk, and fans calling about the whitesox.

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by gosox3072
To make you guys feel any better while i was driving home from the game last night about 9:45-11:15 it was alomst exclusivly all whitesox talk, and fans calling about the whitesox.

That does make me feel better ........

Jerko
07-01-2003, 12:19 PM
Were going on 2 hours of No White Sox being Talked about
on the Score....lets See if we can make it til the 9am hour!!!!

In the Score's defense, 2 hours of actual time boils down to about 8 minutes of programming, 12 minutes of updates and 100 minutes of commercials.