PDA

View Full Version : Attention Patrons of Comiskey Park/U.S. Cellular Field/Sox Park


Viva Magglio
06-30-2003, 11:14 PM
There are two rules you must never violate:

1) Never throw back opposition home run balls. This is not Wrigley Field. We do not partake in Cub traditions at our ballpark. Sox outfielders should be instructed to toss enemy home run balls thrown onto the field right back into the stands.

2) Do not engage in doing the wave. The wave is a moronic activity that disrupts the watching pleasure of the baseball fan. Not even Cub fans do the wave, according to Les Grobstein. Doing the wave is a sin.

whitesoxwilkes
06-30-2003, 11:18 PM
God bless you for posting this as a thread starter Viva. I posted the same thoughts 4 minutes before you did as a reply in another thread.

A.T. Money
06-30-2003, 11:24 PM
I agree about throwing back balls. That's BS.

But the wave doesn't bother me to say the least. I think it was cool to see the crowd in a good mood and into the game. It's nice to get some energy in the park for a change.

I don't think the Sox mind the energy from the fans, either. Would you?

:bandance:

sox_fan_forever
06-30-2003, 11:37 PM
There should be a third one...

Don't bring beach balls.

Viva Magglio
06-30-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
But the wave doesn't bother me to say the least. I think it was cool to see the crowd in a good mood and into the game. It's nice to get some energy in the park for a change.

I don't think the Sox mind the energy from the fans, either. Would you?

:bandance:

We don't need the wave for this purpose. The crowd was in this energetic mindset well before the wave started.

Speaking of the energetic side, here is something I do like. Lately, after big wins such as Friday's and tonight's, the crowd walking down the ramps has the energy of a soccer crowd. Tonight, there were the chants of "OEO..." and "JOSE...JOSE...JOSE..." and "CUBBIES SUCK!!!"

WhiteSoxWinner
06-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Hmmmmm, must have been at tonight's game, eh Viva? It was cool that the season ticket holders kept the wave back the first few times, but about the fourth try, even they could not resist. Oh well...

sox_fan_forever
06-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Speaking of the energetic side, here is something I do like. Lately, after big wins such as Friday's and tonight's, the crowd walking down the ramps has the energy of a soccer crowd. Tonight, there were the chants of "OEO..." and "JOSE...JOSE...JOSE..." and "CUBBIES SUCK!!!"

I love that stuff too. It's so much fun!

TRL
06-30-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
I agree about throwing back balls. That's BS.

But the wave doesn't bother me to say the least. I think it was cool to see the crowd in a good mood and into the game. It's nice to get some energy in the park for a change.

I don't think the Sox mind the energy from the fans, either. Would you?

:bandance:

I'd rather see the energy that the crowd showed when Gordon pitched out of the bases loaded jam on Friday. Positive energy that directly relates to the game is a lot better than the wave.

I also enjoy the JOSE...JOSE chants. Friday was my first Sox/Cubs game and it was great. There was nothing better than after the game high fiving random Sox fans and getting in on the chants.

Blueprint1
06-30-2003, 11:57 PM
get over it their butts are in the seat that helps the sox

TRL
07-01-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
get over it their butts are in the seat that helps the sox

True story. When ever I bring friends to Sox games, I always tell them to make sure they get plenty to eat and drink........we could use the extra money for payroll.

Tavarin
07-01-2003, 12:30 AM
The wave is just plain stupid. I don't care if the Sox are up or down 7, just watch the damn game. Don't watch the crowd and wait until you can raise your hands in the air

dllrbll7
07-01-2003, 12:49 AM
I dont know what happened in the off season but occurence of both throwing of the balls back and the wave has sky rocketed. Ive mentioned it before in replies and i think we need to get a sox player on the scoreboard instructing the fans to keep homerun balls and that the wave doesnt belong in chicago, just like Konerko is on the scoreboard right before the game starts to tell people to stay off the field.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-01-2003, 01:09 AM
i'd like to also add the beach balls like someone already mentioned. on friday vs the cubs, there was a group of people in these orange shirts and there were about 3 rows of them, and they inflated a few beach balls, thought i was in LA or something. Must have been fub fans since most of them chanted SOX SUCK when we were winning and just was there to get drunk :\

TornLabrum
07-01-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
God bless you for posting this as a thread starter Viva. I posted the same thoughts 4 minutes before you did as a reply in another thread.

And Jeff telephoned in as much as he could to the postgame show before his phone battery died.

TornLabrum
07-01-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
I agree about throwing back balls. That's BS.

But the wave doesn't bother me to say the least. I think it was cool to see the crowd in a good mood and into the game. It's nice to get some energy in the park for a change.

I don't think the Sox mind the energy from the fans, either. Would you?

:bandance:

Doing the wave is exactly the opposite of being into the game. It is being into oneself or the rest of the crowd. It has nothing to do with what is going on on the field.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-01-2003, 01:47 AM
The throwing of opposition HR's absolutely has no place on the south side. However, chicks dig the wave. The wave is the least of my worries.
It's Sox fans who yell "Throw it back" that really bugs me. This stupid tradition is unfortunately catching on in other cities as well. We need to spread the word.
Folks, if you are fortunate enough to catch a souvenir. Do something good, give the ball to a kid, or to a lovely girl in the stands (just make sure that she is not with her body building boyfriend/husband)

This message brought to you by C.A.S.T. (Chicagoans Against Stupid Traditions)

Scotty347
07-01-2003, 08:09 AM
I can't believe after all the complaining people do about attendance that when people come out to the park, we complain that they are doing the wave? Who cares. It was nice to see people having fun. I'd prefer people doing the wave and playing with beach balls instead of attacking umpires...

Besides..

I LOVE BEACH BALLS!

TornLabrum
07-01-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Scotty347
I can't believe after all the complaining people do about attendance that when people come out to the park, we complain that they are doing the wave? Who cares. It was nice to see people having fun. I'd prefer people doing the wave and playing with beach balls instead of attacking umpires...

Besides..

I LOVE BEACH BALLS!

Some of us go to watch the freakin' ball game. When people stand up in front of me as the pitch is coming in to the batter, it's hard to see what is going on.

The wave originated in SoCal in the '70s or early '80s. It was "cool" then. It's passe' now.

"Hey look at me! I'm more important than the game!"

34 Inch Stick
07-01-2003, 11:20 AM
Wave, bad. Beach balls, fine. How about something original though like a blow up doll. Now passing that around the stadium would be fun. However I would not want to be behind some of the dirt bags.

mandmandm
07-01-2003, 11:33 AM
Like a Rally Bimbo?

mike squires
07-01-2003, 11:43 AM
For the record, the Sox did not use that fan o meter once at the game. Didn't need it. The fans new it was a big game and don't need that stupid meter to tell us when to cheer...

ChiSoxBobette
07-01-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
There are two rules you must never violate:

1) Never throw back opposition home run balls. This is not Wrigley Field. We do not partake in Cub traditions at our ballpark. Sox outfielders should be instructed to toss enemy home run balls thrown onto the field right back into the stands.

2) Do not engage in doing the wave. The wave is a moronic activity that disrupts the watching pleasure of the baseball fan. Not even Cub fans do the wave, according to Les Grobstein. Doing the wave is a sin.

I was at the Sunday game vs the flubs and the H.R. Rowand hit was thrown back by some stinkin flub lover, but if anyone noticed the H.R. Hernandez hit was caught by what I thought was a Sox fan whom did not throw it back, my comment to the flub fans in front of me was "shows the difference in intelligence between Sox fans & flub fans" which did'nt go over big with the flub lovers in front of us.
I was also at the game last night vs the twinkies and I was disgusted with the idiots trying to get the wave started. It was a big crowd but I don't think they were baseball fans just a bunch of teenagers out for a cheap date.

GO White Sox!

alohafri
07-01-2003, 01:36 PM
It seems there are always folks who want to start the wave on the half-price nights. That's when the casual fans and families come out to the park, and they really don't care much about the game, they're just there for a night out.

Although I hate the wave and the beach balls, I try not to let it get to me, unless the game is close, then I get extremely PO'd at these nimrods who are very distracting. I go to the park to watch a ballgame, not to be "entertained" by a bunch of doofusses.

It's a double-edged sword--it's great to have lots of people out at the park, but not when half of them are just there to screw around.


--Mrs. Aloha