PDA

View Full Version : Maggs an All-Star?

ilsox7
06-30-2003, 09:17 PM
Just curious what people thought about Maggs' chances. Gammons just said that Maggs "has to be an all-star." Kind of surprised me...

Daver
06-30-2003, 09:18 PM
The magic 8 ball says no.

1951Campbell
06-30-2003, 09:30 PM
:boston

"Maggs should be an All-Star. In other news, I still think it's 2002."

RKMeibalane
06-30-2003, 09:33 PM
If Maggs makes the team, then Frank should, too. However, that's not going to happen, so the Sox will send only one representative to the game- Loaiza.

Daver
06-30-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
If Maggs makes the team, then Frank should, too. However, that's not going to happen, so the Sox will send only one representative to the game- Loaiza. They will send two,Jerry Manuel has already gotten the courtesy call to be a coach.

RKMeibalane
06-30-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by daver
They will send two,Jerry Manuel has already gotten the courtesy call to be a coach.

I was referring to players, but you are correct. Manuel will be there as well. I wonder if he will have any input on how the batting order is arranged.

Jjav829
06-30-2003, 09:37 PM
I don't know. The thing that I am interested in seeing is how the players/managers/coaches affect the backups. Maggs has a lot of respect around the league, and I am guessing there will be some players that make it just based on who they are. Now whether or not Maggs has that kind of status among managers/players remains to be seen. If I had to guess though, I would say no. Maybe that will lead to a second half like he had last year.

ScottySoxFan
06-30-2003, 09:38 PM
I wonder if he will have any input on how the batting order is arranged.

At Catcher, batting in the 9 spot, Estaban Loaiza.

RKMeibalane
06-30-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I don't know. The thing that I am interested in seeing is how the players/managers/coaches affect the backups. Maggs has a lot of respect around the league, and I am guessing there will be some players that make it just based on who they are. Now whether or not Maggs has that kind of status among managers/players remains to be seen. If I had to guess though, I would say no. Maybe that will lead to a second half like he had last year.

I agree. If Maggs is highly thought of around the league, then he has an outside chance of making the team. However, his numbers aren't what they could be, and there are several other deserving candidates.

When it comes down to it, the All Star Game doesn't mean anything. I'm more concerned about whether this team can pick up ground on Kansas City and Minnesota.

ilsox7
06-30-2003, 09:41 PM
At Catcher, batting in the 9 spot, Estaban Loaiza.

Steve looks like he'd be quick on the basepaths, so I am guessing JM will lead him off.

Jjav829
06-30-2003, 09:44 PM
I was referring to players, but you are correct. Manuel will be there as well. I wonder if he will have any input on how the batting order is arranged.

:jerry
"Mike, I'm telling you, we gotta get this Josh Paul guy onto the roster. You won't believe how versatile he is. He can play catcher AND 3rd base. I even put him in left field once! Put him on the roster and bat him leadoff. You'll thank me later."

http://anaheim.angels.mlb.com/ana/photo/ph_play_mugshot_Scioscia.jpg

"Yeah, yeah, Jerry. I'll think about it. Why don't you let me finish this off, and you can go sleep over by the wall. You seem to be good at that"

:jerry
"Sleep, now that's where Im a viking!"

MarkEdward
06-30-2003, 09:53 PM
The right field position in the AL is in pretty bad shape. Aside from Ichiro, there are no real standouts. Aubrey Huff will probably make it as the Devil Rays rep. Raul Mondesi may get in just because he's on the Yankees.

I think only two right fielders will go for the AL, and Mags won't be one of them.

MarqSox
06-30-2003, 09:55 PM
MLB has a habit of inviting less-than-deserving players to the ASG for the host team. Think Jose Hernandez last year and that one crappy second baseman the Red Sox had in 1999.

guillen4life13
06-30-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
MLB has a habit of inviting less-than-deserving players to the ASG for the host team. Think Jose Hernandez last year and that one crappy second baseman the Red Sox had in 1999.

Ah, the infamous, immortal Jose Offerman!

When I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Jose Valentin made the team if Offerman, Hernandez, and I'm sure Seattle sent in some less than deserving players back in '01.

kermittheefrog
06-30-2003, 10:08 PM
In my opinion Maggs is an All-Star. I see the game as more of a chance for established stars to be showcased rather than a chance to reward guys who have had a good half season. Maggs is an established star and he has still been productive this seaosn.

B. Diddy
06-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
In my opinion Maggs is an All-Star. I see the game as more of a chance for established stars to be showcased rather than a chance to reward guys who have had a good half season. Maggs is an established star and he has still been productive this seaosn.

I disagree that it should be a showcase for established guys, even if they are having a bad season. I got so sick of watching Cal Ripken take away 3B from a much more deserving Troy Glaus in the late 90's. That is how it is run, though. No doubt Sam-Me will be out there in RF for the NL. I can't wait for the boos on national TV...

Mags did win the home run contest thing on ESPN back in March, but I don't think that he's enough of a household name to get in with a mediocre first half. Too bad they don't select long relievers, as Marte would have been a good candidate.

No doubt Esteban is in, but will he start? Sunday notwithstanding, I think that he should. His stats (11-3, 2.18) make him the most deserving and it is his home ballpark (not that that should matter, but it might). Then again, he suffers from lack of name recognition.

Konerkoholic
06-30-2003, 11:15 PM
I wish Manuel had given Maggs a chance for his third home run tonight. A 3-HR game is usually enough to become a household name if you're on the brink like Maggs is. That being said, I think he needs to make a late surge to have real all-star numbers. I would love to see him get in. He always makes me proud.

pudge
06-30-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Ah, the infamous, immortal Jose Offerman!

When I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Jose Valentin made the team if Offerman, Hernandez, and I'm sure Seattle sent in some less than deserving players back in '01.

Yes, former Sox Mike Cameron actually made the team in 2001 when it was in Seattle. Carlos Lee had better stats than Cameron at the time. I really think either Maggs or Frank should go with Loaiza. We are the friggin host city, and as you said before, Offerman and Hernandez went the past couple of years.

gosox41
07-01-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by ilsox7
Just curious what people thought about Maggs' chances. Gammons just said that Maggs "has to be an all-star." Kind of surprised me...

I'd take Frank over Magglio. I really hope there is more then one Sox player on the roster seeing as how we can make a good argument for Frank and Magglio and the game is being played in our yard.

The Cubs will probably have 3 guys out there and there's not much difference in records of the two teams. Of course there may be more if Baker gets his way.

Bob

kermittheefrog
07-01-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
I disagree that it should be a showcase for established guys, even if they are having a bad season. I got so sick of watching Cal Ripken take away 3B from a much more deserving Troy Glaus in the late 90's. That is how it is run, though. No doubt Sam-Me will be out there in RF for the NL. I can't wait for the boos on national TV...

Thats not what I meant. I mean established deserving guys. Ripken sucked. Maggs is having a slightly off year but is still a good RF. He should be in the game.