PDA

View Full Version : 29,000+ fans tonight...half price night or renewed fan interest?

1951Campbell
06-30-2003, 08:59 PM
I'll take your thoughts. I don't live in Chicago so I have no clue.

MarqSox
06-30-2003, 09:02 PM
75% half price night

ilsox7
06-30-2003, 09:04 PM
A little of column A, a little of column B.

Combine nice weather with half price night and a big time baseball weekend against the Cubs, and you get a nice crowd. Key is to KEEP winning so people keep coming back, which means JR dusts the cobwebs off his wallet.

voodoochile
06-30-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
75% half price night

No, that wouldn't account for it alone. If they had stunk it up these past few weeks, there would be 22K max, IMO. The Sox are playing good ball and the fans are going to come out.

I'm going tomorrow. :bandance:

1951Campbell
06-30-2003, 09:13 PM
That banana's freaking me out, man.

koch44
06-30-2003, 09:13 PM
Voodoo, check this link out.
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/slp29/pbj.html

:bandance: :)

Daver
06-30-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
That banana's freaking me out, man.

Beware the hypnotic power of the Dancing Banana. :bandance:

Daver
06-30-2003, 09:26 PM
I forgot to say Thank You West,I owe you one.

Jerry_Manuel
06-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by daver
Beware the hypnotic power of the Dancing Banana. :bandance:

I like that!

kevingrt
06-30-2003, 09:55 PM
Well add around 5,000 for the renewed interest i would say.

Iguana775
06-30-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by koch44

THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE FUNNIEST DAMN THING I HAVE SEEN IN A LONG TIME!

Tragg
06-30-2003, 09:59 PM
I think we got 30K a couple of Mondays ago against the Bosox. Probably 1/2 price has something to do with it.

NewyorkSoxFan
06-30-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by koch44

That is Hysterical

NYSF

jeremyb1
06-30-2003, 10:09 PM
i think a lot of people probably came out because the team is player better and they couldn't get tickets to the cubs series but wish they'd been so they decided tonight was a good night to go with half price night and what not.

Procol Harum
06-30-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Well add around 5,000 for the renewed interest i would say.

I'd guess that's about right--5,000 to 8,000 as the result of a renewed Sox fandom.

Oh yeah, a little bit o' good times from your White Sox.... :bandance:

duke of dorwood
06-30-2003, 10:14 PM
The Dancing Banana: This years Rally Monkey? or just food for the monkey?

koch44
06-30-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
The Dancing Banana: This years Rally Monkey? or just food for the monkey?

The monkey will slip on our banana peel.

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

PaleHoseGeorge
06-30-2003, 10:21 PM
The surest sign of progress:

Back in the nineties we didn't have the dancing banana!

:bandance: Vive le banana! :bandance:

doublem23
06-30-2003, 10:32 PM
I'd also have to say combo of nice weather, renewed interest, and 1/2 Price Monday...

This one will be making his first trek to U.S. Cellular Field tomorrow night.

:bandance:

I got to say this is pretty terrific.

Procol Harum
06-30-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I'd also have to say combo of nice weather, renewed interest, and 1/2 Price Monday...

This one will be making his first trek to U.S. Cellular Field tomorrow night.

I got to say this is pretty terrific.

It is about the best thing since sliced (banana) bread...

whitesoxwilkes
06-30-2003, 11:08 PM
Good crowd tonight, but annoying as all get out for 2 reasons:

1) the Wave. don;t people understand it's a Metrodome thing?

2) fans in RF yelling to throw a Twins HR back. don't they understand that's a Wrigley thing?

Lot of people at the park tonight, but not a lot of fans.

ilsox7
06-30-2003, 11:10 PM

Also, some booing for Glover when he gave up that run. Never mind the fact that his arm had cobwebs on it b/c he hasn't thrown in so long.

B. Diddy
06-30-2003, 11:13 PM
Likely a combo of winning, 1/2 price, and the nice weather. I'd say the recent surge is the greatest factor, though.

My boss is dragging his heels big time on my thesis defense date, so I will likely ditch work and head out to the ballpark a couple more times this summer. I wouldn't be doing this if they'd have kept playing like they did in May.

chisox56
06-30-2003, 11:52 PM
I was at the game and saw a lot of "fans" and a lot of so called fans. People were still yelling cubs suck. I was seated behind some cubs/twins fans who just made fun of magglio the whole game even after his homers. There were to many people doing the wave, so i guess a lot of people just came out to the game and didn't really pay attention to the game. I know some people were annoyed by the wave and were cheering when the cubs game ended in a loss.

TRL
06-30-2003, 11:57 PM
I'm going to guess that the score had something to do with the wave.

Thunderstruck30
07-01-2003, 12:15 AM
Ill agree with most people and say it was a combination of half price night, great weather, and the fact that the Sox are hot and climbing in the standings. Just hope the attendance stays this way.

mike squires
07-01-2003, 12:50 AM
Say what you want about the wave, i was nice to see so many fans enjoying themselves at the ol' ballyard. I refused to participate and told some around me SOX FANS DON"T WAVE. It seemed to only encourage them more cause most everyone as doing it and it even got to be quite comical for as long as it went on....It was nice to see the right stands give Maggs a standing ovation on two occasions. I was hoping he'd get a curtain call. All around great energy and support from the fans tonight. I had a great time just hanging out with my brother whom I haven't seen for two years.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-01-2003, 01:22 AM
9,000+ walk up at the ticket booths. I would have to say that the team has re-generated interest for those who lost it after the opening series in KC.
Nice weather, Half-Price, and the best baseball team in Chicago. Who wouldn't want to go? :D:

Sorry, I couldn't help it, but this thing is funny!

TornLabrum
07-01-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes

2) fans in RF yelling to throw a Twins HR back. don't they understand that's a Wrigley thing?

Jeff got in a call to Dave Wills and just before his phone battery went dead, got in his comments regarding the wave. Dave picked up on one of the other things he wanted to mention, and that was the fans resisting throwing it back.

Scotty347
07-01-2003, 08:15 AM
If we can get 30,000+ every night, I'll stand on the dugout and lead the wave. And on the way back to my seats I'll blow up a few beach balls.

Great to see new people at the ballpark. In time we can teach them about our traditions, but for now its nice to have some bodies in the seats.

jortafan
07-01-2003, 08:49 AM
The real trick is to see how the Sox draw for the Wednesday night game. No half-price promotions, and none of the big arms pitching for the Sox.

If they could top 20,000 that day, then I'll believe there's some sudden burst of fan interest. Personally, I expect a crowd that night of about 18,000.

jortafan
07-01-2003, 08:52 AM
And before I forget, I luv that banana.

TornLabrum
07-01-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
The real trick is to see how the Sox draw for the Wednesday night game. No half-price promotions, and none of the big arms pitching for the Sox.

If they could top 20,000 that day, then I'll believe there's some sudden burst of fan interest. Personally, I expect a crowd that night of about 18,000.

One thing that might hold the crowd back is that it's a 6:05 start. I don't know of too many people who take July 2 off and can make it to the ball park by then.

soxrme
07-01-2003, 08:56 AM
Don't care why they were there, send a note to Rosenblun in trib that we were there. He was doing his usual bashing on the Score last night.

mandmandm
07-01-2003, 08:56 AM
I am bringing the kids tomorrow becuase it is a 6:05 start. Hopefully it will be a fireworks show like last night.

Dadawg_77
07-01-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE FUNNIEST DAMN THING I HAVE SEEN IN A LONG TIME!

http://people.cornell.edu/pages/slp29/alcohol.html

that one is better

gosox41
07-01-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes

As long as people show up and pay money it doesn't bother me. I want to see JR open his wallet and fill some of the holes on this team.

Bob

gosox41
07-01-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
9,000+ walk up at the ticket booths. I would have to say that the team has re-generated interest for those who lost it after the opening series in KC.
Nice weather, Half-Price, and the best baseball team in Chicago. Who wouldn't want to go? :D:

Sorry, I couldn't help it, but this thing is funny!

The biggest test will be Wednesday night when every vriable you mentioned stays the same except for the fact it's not a half price night.

Bob

hold2dibber
07-01-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Scotty347
If we can get 30,000+ every night, I'll stand on the dugout and lead the wave. And on the way back to my seats I'll blow up a few beach balls.

Great to see new people at the ballpark. In time we can teach them about our traditions, but for now its nice to have some bodies in the seats.

I'm with you -- you can't have it both ways. You either just get the die hards and draw 15,000 who pay attention to the game, refrain from the wave and other silly crap, or you get a big ol' crowd of non die hards out just to have a good time at the ball park. I'll take the later - it's better for the organization and the team in the long run. But that's what it was like in the early 90s when the new park just opened; always packed, but a lot of that goofy stuff going on. You just have to get over it, as annoying as it can be.

Jurr
07-01-2003, 10:35 AM
I think that we should have a new promotion at the Sox game.....

IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!!! :bandance:

Jurr
07-01-2003, 10:38 AM
.BY THE WAY..if you haven't seen the cornell link that they put up earlier, please do.

TornLabrum
07-01-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'm with you -- you can't have it both ways. You either just get the die hards and draw 15,000 who pay attention to the game, refrain from the wave and other silly crap, or you get a big ol' crowd of non die hards out just to have a good time at the ball park. I'll take the later - it's better for the organization and the team in the long run. But that's what it was like in the early 90s when the new park just opened; always packed, but a lot of that goofy stuff going on. You just have to get over it, as annoying as it can be.

Or you can educate them as to how we really do things on the south side.

HawkDJ
07-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Had my first trip to the Cell yesterday and I had a great time. That stupid wave was really annoying after a few times around but it was great to see the Sox playing good baseball and to see all the fireworks. I was sitting in right field (not the throw back the ball section) and it was great to see that everytime Maggs came out into right we gave him a standing ovation.

My first Sox game this year was at Wrigley and it is amazing how much better the Cell is. The big screen, the more spread out seats, the lack of poles in your face, less vendors yelling at you, the fireworks, the food, Gene Honda, the fan deck. It all helps making the experience much much better. I didn't realize how much I missed the Cell.

I'll also be at the game today! :bandance:

BearSox
07-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ

My first Sox game this year was at Wrigley and it is amazing how much better the Cell is. The big screen, the more spread out seats, the lack of poles in your face, less vendors yelling at you, the fireworks, the food, Gene Honda, the fan deck. It all helps making the experience much much better. I didn't realize how much I missed the Cell.

You forgot about Nancy on the organ :cool:

hold2dibber
07-01-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Or you can educate them as to how we really do things on the south side.

Lord knows I've tried, but trying to stop a bunch of hyped up teenagers and drunk people from doing the wave is like trying to stop an avalanche with toilet paper.