PDA

View Full Version : More Tinkering From Manuel

RKMeibalane
06-30-2003, 07:02 PM
From the Cubune:

Third opinion

Despite watching D'Angelo Jimenez commit two errors at third base Sunday, Manuel said he would not hesitate to use him when Joe Crede needs a day off.

Jimenez, making his first start of the season at third, threw wide of second baseman Willie Harris on a double-play try in the fifth. He couldn't corral Corey Patterson's sharp grounder in the sixth.

But Jimenez made an excellent play on a Mark Grudzielanek's slow roller an inning later.

As long as Harris continues to play well, Jimenez appears to have lost his job at second base. The team is also considering promoting Aaron Miles from Triple-A Charlotte or upgrading through a trade.

"I don't know what's in their mind," Jimenez said. "They haven't told me anything. I'm just trying to get the job done. Sometimes I don't do it, but that's part of the game."

THE_HOOTER
06-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Not to mention I heard on the way home tonight that Rios is the dh, and batting 5th.

Back to normal!

Seriously, what is he thinking?

RKMeibalane
06-30-2003, 08:02 PM
This is the kind of stuff that has caused me to disklike Manuel so much. There is no logic to any of the moves that he makes. Maybe I would be more understanding if some of his moves actually benefitted the team, but they don't. Manuel himself has admitted that his tinkering "usually doesn't work."

soxrme
06-30-2003, 08:39 PM
Rios struck out on an inside pitch in first at bat. He will never stop this damn tinkering.

gosox41
06-30-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
Not to mention I heard on the way home tonight that Rios is the dh, and batting 5th.

Back to normal!

Seriously, what is he thinking?

Why does Manuel go for this lefty/right BS so much? It's not always the answer to getting to a pitcher. Maybe he does this so he can tell the fans he was managing by "the book" and the can't criticize him for doing things on a whim.

Bob

RKMeibalane
06-30-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Why does Manuel go for this lefty/right BS so much? It's not always the answer to getting to a pitcher. Maybe he does this so he can tell the fans he was managing by "the book" and the can't criticize him for doing things on a whim.

Bob

Unfortunately for Manuel, everyone on this board can see right through all of his moves. He may say that he's trying to set the lineup based on percentages, but everyone here knows that he is making all of these moves because he can't make himself stop tinkering.

ilsox7
06-30-2003, 09:17 PM
The magic eight ball said Rios over Daubach tonight. God forbid we let Daubach get on a roll.

At least the other bats showed up tonight!!

voodoochile
06-30-2003, 09:31 PM
Okay, why bat Rios 5th? Why not Manos if you want a lefty in that slot? Why put a guy hitting .228 right smack dab between your big sluggers and the guys who are killing the ball?

Daver
06-30-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Okay, why bat Rios 5th? Why not Manos if you want a lefty in that slot? Why put a guy hitting .228 right smack dab between your big sluggers and the guys who are killing the ball?

Because Manuel has no clue?

He gets his advice from this guy. :bandance:

RKMeibalane
06-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by daver
Because Manuel has no clue?

He gets his advice from this guy. :bandance:

I was not aware that a banana was emplyed by the Sox organization.

THE_HOOTER
06-30-2003, 09:58 PM
That banana guy his hilarious!

Daver
06-30-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
That banana guy his hilarious!

Who me? :bandance:

ilsox7
06-30-2003, 10:03 PM
Isn't this the type of game you get PK a couple ABs then let Glover throw the last 2 innings? Makes sense, doesn't it? I guess that's why it isn't happening. 8-2 is nice though :)

Tragg
06-30-2003, 10:52 PM
Yesterday in the 8th, I think it was, Manuel should have pinch hit for Harris - trouble is, I think the only choice was Konerko. Now, if he had Bonds on his bench it isn't a certainty that manuel would have pinch hit. That said, Konerko's got to go to charlotte because we really need a bat off the bench to let Manuel do more tinkering - the type that the team needs.

MHOUSE
06-30-2003, 11:01 PM
Play Daubach everyday and he will hit. Duh! I mean doesn't Jerry watch the games? Jimenez commits two errors and suddenly he's the backup third baseman? NO LOGIC! Why pitch Marte in a 10-2 when Glover and/or Sanders needs work? ARGH!

jeremyb1
06-30-2003, 11:06 PM
i agree with pretty much all these senitments but at the same time as much as he sucks rios is taking up a roster spot and getting paid a lot of money manuel doesn't have much of a choice than to try to give him occasional at bats to get him going.

gosox41
07-01-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I was not aware that a banana was emplyed by the Sox organization.

A grapefruit is also employed by the Sox in the GM role.

Bob

JRIG
07-01-2003, 11:55 AM
Sadly, Willie Harris going 2-5 last night is only going to encourage this sort of thing.

Never mind the fact that it was only his 2nd extra base hit of the season. Never mind that his 2/19 BB/K ratio would be the worst in the majors. According to the Sun-Times today, Jerry says "Willie Harris has what we're looking for in a leadoff man."

:jerry

"I like a guy who can't get on base, won't work the count, can't hit for power, strikes out a ton, and won't walk."

But I guess he has that all important quality for a leadoff man: speed. Too bad you can't steal first base. I'd rather see Harris on the bench, used as a pinch runner. Let someone else get on base for him.

MHOUSE
07-01-2003, 12:34 PM
Harris would be a decent 25th guy on a winning team. He's not an everyday starter and certainly not a leadoff hitter. Speed doesn't warrant playing him once he shows that's all he's got.

voodoochile
07-01-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
But I guess he has that all important quality for a leadoff man: speed. Too bad you can't steal first base. I'd rather see Harris on the bench, used as a pinch runner. Let someone else get on base for him.

You know, I don't care if Willie plays. If Jerry thinks he is the teams best option at 2B/CF, then play him, but like you said, DON'T bat him first. He is a classic AL 9th place hitter. It's like the Julio Rameriz (sp?) situation all over again. Jerry decides this guy is the man and then puts him at the top of the order regardless of how he hits.

I think Jerry has done a good job of holding the team together and getting them to start playing hard when they could have gone the other way, but honestly, the tinkering, playing guys out of position and insistance on sticking with guys who clearly suck drives me mad...

JRIG
07-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

It's like the Julio Rameriz (sp?) situation all over again. Jerry decides this guy is the man and then puts him at the top of the order regardless of how he hits.

This is actually very similar to Julio Ramirez. A guy whose only asset is speed. It looks like Jerry is planning on playing Harris until, like Ramirez, his average approaches .087. Willie has now played in 14 consecutive games. His season OPS is .441, even after last night. In the past week, his OPS is .401.

:weewillie

"Yeah, but you should see me run down the first base line before I'm thrown out. I'm also quick getting to my position between innings in centerfield."

TornLabrum
07-01-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
This is actually very similar to Julio Ramirez. A guy whose only asset is speed. It looks like Jerry is planning on playing Harris until, like Ramirez, his average approaches .087. Willie has now played in 14 consecutive games. His season OPS is .441, even after last night. In the past week, his OPS is .401.

:weewillie

"Yeah, but you should see me run down the first base line before I'm thrown out. I'm also quick getting to my position between innings in centerfirld."

I've nicknamed him Slappy Lite after the great Mike Caruso, who was a better hitter.