PDA

View Full Version : I think Reed liked his promotion

Daver
06-30-2003, 05:43 PM
To AA Birmingham.

From BA:

Birmingham (Southern) OF Jeremy Reed collected a career-high five hits and drove home a pair of runs in a 6-4 victory at the Huntsville Stars. Reed, who hit safely in all five plate appearances, laced a one-out single in the first inning, combined on a double steal with OF Juan Piniella and also swiped third base. After recording a single in both the third and fifth frames, the 22-year-old delivered a base hit with the bases loaded in the sixth that scored two runs and gave the Barons a 4-3 lead. A second-round selection of the Chicago White Sox in 2002 out of Long Beach State, Reed has posted a .463 average in his first 41 at-bats in Double-A, and is hitting .354 with 20 doubles and 59 RBIs in 76 games between the Class A Carolina League and Birmingham. He also has scored 45 times, drawn 44 walks and stole 33 bases.

voodoochile
06-30-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by daver
To AA Birmingham.

From BA:

Birmingham (Southern) OF Jeremy Reed collected a career-high five hits and drove home a pair of runs in a 6-4 victory at the Huntsville Stars. Reed, who hit safely in all five plate appearances, laced a one-out single in the first inning, combined on a double steal with OF Juan Piniella and also swiped third base. After recording a single in both the third and fifth frames, the 22-year-old delivered a base hit with the bases loaded in the sixth that scored two runs and gave the Barons a 4-3 lead. A second-round selection of the Chicago White Sox in 2002 out of Long Beach State, Reed has posted a .463 average in his first 41 at-bats in Double-A, and is hitting .354 with 20 doubles and 59 RBIs in 76 games between the Class A Carolina League and Birmingham. He also has scored 45 times, drawn 44 walks and stole 33 bases.

This guy play center? I say bring him up... :D:

Daver
06-30-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
This guy play center? I say bring him up... :D:

Rightfielder,I would like to see him tried in center though.

SoxxoS
06-30-2003, 05:59 PM
I would imaging he's Aaron Rowand-like in CF, but he has a stick to boot.

As I said before, I think Reed might be a better prospect than Borchard at the moment. How can you argue that?

Daver
06-30-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

As I said before, I think Reed might be a better prospect than Borchard at the moment. How can you argue that?

Your comparing apples to oranges,Borchard is a power hitter and a better all around athlete,Reed is a gap hitter with decent speed that is still learning how to play the outfield.

SoxxoS
06-30-2003, 06:16 PM
I see what you are saying Daver, except baseball america and other prospect ranking sites don't rank prospects hitting by "power" and "gap." They just rank the overall prospect.

rmusacch
06-30-2003, 06:22 PM
Your comparing apples to oranges,Borchard is a power hitter and a better all around athlete,Reed is a gap hitter with decent speed that is still learning how to play the outfield.

Where did he play in college, if you say he is still learning the of.

Daver
06-30-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I see what you are saying Daver, except baseball america and other prospect ranking sites don't rank prospects hitting by "power" and "gap." They just rank the overall prospect.

I use prospect ratings more as a reference than anything else,because of the reason you stated.You also have to look a bit beyond these rankings though,no one has Ryan Meaux ranked very highly,yet he has an ERA under two in Winston Salem,granted he is repeating a year,but his numbers are more than respectable.

Daver
06-30-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Where did he play in college, if you say he is still learning the of.

Long Beach State,he left early.

guillen4life13
06-30-2003, 06:54 PM
Long Beach State,he left early.

I think he meant what position did he play in college.

NC_sox_fan
06-30-2003, 07:17 PM
Reed was primarily a first baseman in college. He was listed on the Long Beach State web site as "Outfield/First Base" his last year in college.

According to what I've heard, the Sox are convinced he will be a corner outfielder -- not in centerfield. But with the Tinkerer, who knows????

gosox41
06-30-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by NC_sox_fan
Reed was primarily a first baseman in college. He was listed on the Long Beach State web site as "Outfield/First Base" his last year in college.

According to what I've heard, the Sox are convinced he will be a corner outfielder -- not in centerfield. But with the Tinkerer, who knows????

Wasn't another Long Beach State Alum listed as "Outfield/First Base"?

:liefer

Of course I'm more optimistic on Reed.

Bob