PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Options At 2B & CF

kevingrt
06-30-2003, 02:27 PM
I have compiled a couple options at CF and 2B rather then Roberto Alomar, Juan Pierre and Luis Castillo. I like Preston Wilson or the Colorado Rockies, Jose Vidro of the Montreal Expos and Michael Young of the Texas Rangers

Preston Wilson at CF might be a good fit but has a hefty contract at 6.5 million this year and rising until his contract expires in 2005. So any chance of Joe Borchard there in the near future is scare. Wilson is batting .307 with 17 HR's and 70 RBI's. His OPS is over .900 which is amazing. Yes he is playing at Coors Field, which factors in a bit to his outstanding number but he would still be a great addition to CF this year, but maybe not in the years to come.

Jose Vidro would be a outstanding pick up at 2B instead of Jimenez or Harris. Vidro is batting .328 with 8 HR's and 38 RBI's. He commands 5.5 million this year and 7.0 million next year when his contract expires. He only has three errors this year and a makes .991 percent of plays at 2B. If Jerry and Kenny are willing to open up their pockets Vidro could be a great addition. But the Expos are still slightly in it in the NL East, and they might not be willing to give up one of their top three MLB players. We'll have to see how they do until the trade deadline, because we would most likely get him right before then when the Expos make up their mind to buy or sell.

Michael Young of the Texas Rangers is the most affordable option and perhaps easiest to get. Young is batting .315 with 5 HR's and 32 RBI's. He only commands a 250K contract this year, which I think ends at the end of the year. He is only 26 years old which might hurt our chances of the Rangers giving him up. He has 6 SB which adds some speed to the team. He only has 3 errors on the year and makes .992 percent of the plays at 2B. This would be a great option and we could get him for probably much less then Vidro or Castillo at 2B. He could possibly be a long-term option at 2B too. It all depends if the Rangers would be willing to give him up. And we would have to hope this isn't a half a year thing with him.

Those are the best options I found out there in the market besides Luis Castillo and Juan Pierre of the Florida Marlins. My first choice would be Michael Young then Jose Vidro and finally Preston Wilson. Discuss these options and what we would have to give up to get one of these guys.

Hullett_Fan
06-30-2003, 02:34 PM
Some good thoughts...

I don't think the Rangers will be giving up Michael Young. The guys a keeper, especially with a salary of $250K as you mention.

Another option for CF is Shannon Stewart from TOR. He does make a hefty salary. Jays would want pitching in return.

Gumshoe
06-30-2003, 02:49 PM
Let's see what THIS CURRENT TEAM can do a bit before wasting time thinking about trades. Luis Castillo, Juan Pierre? Ha! That's a joke. Let's not trade just to trade, my Lord. The season is only half over and this team might just be hitting it's stride. a lot of the guys that are complained about might just start crushing, along with the entire team ... i hope to see it come together.

Gumbo

Thunderstruck30
06-30-2003, 03:03 PM
I wouldnt get Preston Wilson. He is going to cost some money and he seems like mainly a power hitter. Id much rather have Juan Pierre from the Marlins because of his speed. We dont need any power hitters, we need guys with speed more.

hold2dibber
06-30-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
I have compiled a couple options at CF and 2B rather then Roberto Alomar, Juan Pierre and Luis Castillo. I like Preston Wilson or the Colorado Rockies, Jose Vidro of the Montreal Expos and Michael Young of the Texas Rangers

Preston Wilson at CF might be a good fit but has a hefty contract at 6.5 million this year and rising until his contract expires in 2005. So any chance of Joe Borchard there in the near future is scare. Wilson is batting .307 with 17 HR's and 70 RBI's. His OPS is over .900 which is amazing. Yes he is playing at Coors Field, which factors in a bit to his outstanding number but he would still be a great addition to CF this year, but maybe not in the years to come.

Jose Vidro would be a outstanding pick up at 2B instead of Jimenez or Harris. Vidro is batting .328 with 8 HR's and 38 RBI's. He commands 5.5 million this year and 7.0 million next year when his contract expires. He only has three errors this year and a makes .991 percent of plays at 2B. If Jerry and Kenny are willing to open up their pockets Vidro could be a great addition. But the Expos are still slightly in it in the NL East, and they might not be willing to give up one of their top three MLB players. We'll have to see how they do until the trade deadline, because we would most likely get him right before then when the Expos make up their mind to buy or sell.

Michael Young of the Texas Rangers is the most affordable option and perhaps easiest to get. Young is batting .315 with 5 HR's and 32 RBI's. He only commands a 250K contract this year, which I think ends at the end of the year. He is only 26 years old which might hurt our chances of the Rangers giving him up. He has 6 SB which adds some speed to the team. He only has 3 errors on the year and makes .992 percent of the plays at 2B. This would be a great option and we could get him for probably much less then Vidro or Castillo at 2B. He could possibly be a long-term option at 2B too. It all depends if the Rangers would be willing to give him up. And we would have to hope this isn't a half a year thing with him.

Those are the best options I found out there in the market besides Luis Castillo and Juan Pierre of the Florida Marlins. My first choice would be Michael Young then Jose Vidro and finally Preston Wilson. Discuss these options and what we would have to give up to get one of these guys.

I don't think the Rockies would trade Wilson and I'd be absolutely shocked if the Expos would be willing to trade Vidro. Between the two of them, I'd be much more interested in Vidro, as I'm not convinced that Wilson can continue playing at or near this level, especially if he were to leave Coors.

Young doesn't do much for me - I think he's playing over his head and I'm not convinced that he's any better than Jimenez.

Hullett_Fan
06-30-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
Let's see what THIS CURRENT TEAM can do a bit before wasting time thinking about trades. Luis Castillo, Juan Pierre? Ha! That's a joke. Let's not trade just to trade, my Lord. The season is only half over and this team might just be hitting it's stride. a lot of the guys that are complained about might just start crushing, along with the entire team ... i hope to see it come together.

Gumbo

I really haven't seen anything from Konerko, Crede, Harris, Daubach, Rowand (aside from hot bat this weekend) or Olivo that tells me they're about to start crushing the ball. Don't get me wrong, I like those guys and think Crede holds a lot of promise long term...but if the idea is to win now, this team just has too many holes. Need some guys with higher OBP to get on base ahead of Frank, Maggs and Lee. I expressed that concern to Manuel at SoxFest prior to the season...but he assurred me that Jimenez and Valentin could get it done. Boy was he wrong.

hold2dibber
06-30-2003, 03:09 PM

Gumbo

Well, the Sox have played with basically this lineup for the last 2 months of last year and 1/2 of this year. That's plenty of time to see where the team has weaknesses (let's not forget, the Sox are still under .500). If you don't see those weaknesses, you're kidding yourself. I hope to see the team come together, to see Crede hit the ball like last year, to see Rowand start mashing, to see Jimenez paying attention, etc., etc., but it doesn't make sense to me to not explore options to improve the team. There are, apparently, several players on the market that might make this a better team. Why not go for it?

Randar68
06-30-2003, 03:13 PM

Gumbo

What fantasy land do you live in? Can you imagine 2 .300 hitters with over .350 OBP and a ton of speed at the top of this order in front of Frank, Maggs, Clee? With those guys getting in pitchers head, they would see much better pitches. Both are huge defensive upgrades over the current options as well...

I want whatever you are smoking if you think the likes of Rowand and Jimenez are going to turn it on and be very effective. Pierre plus Castillo would be the 1/2 hitters this team hasn't had since I-don't-know-when!

kermittheefrog
06-30-2003, 03:15 PM

Gumbo

Did someone not take his medication today?

Randar68
06-30-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Did someone not take his medication today?

no kidding.

34 Inch Stick
06-30-2003, 03:33 PM
Kenny is going to wait a few weeks to determine whether we are sellers or buyers in the trading market. The picture should be very clear by the All Star break as to whether we are going to remain in this race.