PDA

View Full Version : Gammons: Sox / Yankees Talking

Lip Man 1
06-30-2003, 12:32 PM
According to Peter Gammons on ESPN.com (his latest column), the Sox and Yankees have been talking trade. The names involved...Jeff Weaver and Neal Cotts.

Lip

gosox41
06-30-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
According to Peter Gammons on ESPN.com (his latest column), the Sox and Yankees have been talking trade. The names involved...Jeff Weaver and Neal Cotts.

Lip

Gammons has been quite bust lately. If teh Sox do decide to trade Cotts, I'd rather have Roberto Alomar as he fills a bigger need right now. Of course if there's something more to Colon's forearm probels, then I'm all for getting another pitcher.

Bob

cheeses_h_rice
06-30-2003, 12:53 PM
Let me go on record as saying no way in hell do I want Jeff Weaver on our team...

lowesox
06-30-2003, 12:55 PM
Why would we acquire WEaver if it weren't to then deal him in a 3 way trade? We already have 5 good starters?

I wouldn't trade Cotts for either of Alomar or Weaver, but I will say that its good news that the sox might be making a 3-way with the yanks because the only time KW steals in a trade is when Cashman sets it up for him.

Joel Perez
06-30-2003, 01:06 PM
Poetic justice, since the Sox and Weaver couldn't come to terms way back when they drafted him.

Weaver would add another arm to the rotation, but what's his salary? $5 mil? $7 mil? And right now, he's mediocre? A 5.59 ERA guy, who's 4-6, has given up over 120 hits in less than 100 innings???

The flip side to this is he's still only 27, and his supposedly best years are still ahead of him, if his arm holds up from his sling-shot motion.

I dunno, I dislike being an Armchair GM, but this has trade bust written all over it. It seems like the Yank-mees want to do what everyone else has done to them...raid their farm system for top talent.

Just Say NO!!!!

THE_HOOTER
06-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Is Weaver an improvement over Danny Wright?

Unless one of them is moving to the pen, I dont see how it improves us-unless someone is unjured.

Fisk72
06-30-2003, 01:10 PM
IMO, Weaver was way overrated when the Sox were looking at him and he's even moreso now. KW, please stay away. If the Yankees don't want him, don't you think that means something? Yeesh!

A.T. Money
06-30-2003, 01:10 PM
If Weaver can't win with the Yankees, what makes you think he can win here?

Let's get Alomar.

FJA
06-30-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
If Weaver can't win with the Yankees, what makes you think he can win here?

Let's get Alomar.

If you read the Gammons article at ESPN.com, I don't think he's talking about us actually making the Weaver deal. It might have been talked about at one time, but the way I read it, those talks are over and Cotts is a possibility for the Alomar deal.

kevingrt
06-30-2003, 01:45 PM
Didn't we want Weaver from the Tigers last year???

I'd much rather have Roberto Alomar or Luis Castillo then Weaver who has done absolutely nothing this year. Plus, Garland and Wright seem to be coming a long quite smoothly now and we might be able to get away with them more then we would D'Angelo or Willie at 2B.

Let's get Castillo or Alomar 1st.

A.T. Money
06-30-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by FJA
If you read the Gammons article at ESPN.com, I don't think he's talking about us actually making the Weaver deal. It might have been talked about at one time, but the way I read it, those talks are over and Cotts is a possibility for the Alomar deal.

Yeah I understand that. I was just saying that if we were talking to the Yankees sometime ago about Weaver, then I ask the rhetorical question.

FarWestChicago
06-30-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Gammons has been quite bust lately.Lately? :?:

When has Boston ever been right about anything?

:boston

Now West, don't forget I correctly predicted the the start of World War I.

Tragg
06-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Weaver? Alomar? Jiminez on third? - oops, that one actually happened - Anyway, what is going on here?

jeremyb1
06-30-2003, 04:46 PM
i think weaver could be good if he had some work with coop. also, while i like danny wright as a starter, i think he'd be electric as a reliever. his velocity would probably go up 95 and he could get away with just his fastball and curve and pitch really really well. combine that with gordon, marte, wunsch coming off the dl, and white seemingly returning to form and we have the makings of an excellent pen.

the problems are that weaver has a huge contract and the yankees would almost certainly have to pay a fair amount of it for the deal to work meaning we'd have to send them some quality players which i don't really like for a guy whose era is over 5.

TheRockinMT
06-30-2003, 05:50 PM
We don't need Weaver, at least if we have to give up a top prospect. We don't need Alomar if it costs us that prospect also. I wouldn't mind seeing Alomar at 2B, if we could get him for D Lo.

SoxxoS
06-30-2003, 06:19 PM
Pitching-Not the problem. The cost/benefit of Weaver is losing a cheap top prospect in Cotts for an average, costly cocky hillbilly pitcher in Weaver. I don't get it, esp. if pitching really isnt our problem.

Tragg
06-30-2003, 09:56 PM
Per GAmmons on BBT (I know), the Mets will pay Alomar's salary - they want a prospect. Screw that - Alomar isn't worth a prospect. And I can't help but think we traded a better player than Alomar last year (a lot better) and got no prospect AND paid salary.

It's also nice to hear Kotts called a top prospect, especially when we were assured he was junk solely because St William Beane traded him to Kenny Williams.

MHOUSE
06-30-2003, 10:07 PM
Keep Cotts, he seems like a really solid prospect. Trade some of our reliever prospects. I like Cooper and Cotts and we should hang onto them. Hell I'd give up Rauch for Castillo.

duke of dorwood
06-30-2003, 10:17 PM
Cotts stays-the percentage of our big prospects that dont make it very quickly warrants keeping him.

Iguana775
06-30-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Keep Cotts, he seems like a really solid prospect. Trade some of our reliever prospects. I like Cooper and Cotts and we should hang onto them. Hell I'd give up Rauch for Castillo.

I think I would like that.

Bucktown
06-30-2003, 10:38 PM
I could see Weaver going into the pen for long relief. In fact I think he would make a great closer some day. He stinks as a starter.

sox_fan_forever
06-30-2003, 10:46 PM
I do not want Weaver on this Sox team. That just does not make any sense to me. I'm thrilled that it sounds like the Sox are going to be buyers, but go for what the needs are for goodness sake. Pitching is not the most urgent matter at this time.

StillMissOzzie
06-30-2003, 11:07 PM
I heard Gammons on the radio this afternoon on the Dan Patrick show, and he said that he expects Robbie Alomar to be traded by the end of the week. Interested parties were the Sox, Royals, and Expos. I didn't think that either of those other two could or would take on Robbie's salary, but it sounds like the Mets will carry some of the freight to get rid of him.

IMHO, if it gets Jiminez to park his @$$ on the bench, it's worth doing.

:gulp:

TRL
06-30-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
I could see Weaver going into the pen for long relief. In fact I think he would make a great closer some day. He stinks as a starter.

Yes because we all know that this team has the bankroll to pay a long relief pitcher a few million dollars.

doublem23
06-30-2003, 11:48 PM
Wow... Must have been a boring business day in Boston.