PDA

View Full Version : Poor Glover

MHOUSE
06-30-2003, 12:53 PM
He has pitched one inning since June 2. He hasn't pitched for like 12-15 games. How is he expected to be sharp when he does get in? Sounds like all the bullpen guys are upset about it and pulling for him. That's ridiculous to let him go that long without work. He's a solid guy in our bullpen and yet the call always goes out for Flash or Koch. I don't get it. Glover is a good pitcher and I hope Jerry starts using him. He said he might start one game of the doubleheader with Cleveland which would be nice. I understand that he's the long-relief guy but still he has to get some work in. White pitched two innings in each of the last two Cubs games. Gary could've pitched one of those days. Glover seems to be bothered and frustrated, but he's dealing with it and not getting upset at the manager.

Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030629&content_id=402130&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

gosox41
06-30-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
He has pitched one inning since June 2. He hasn't pitched for like 12-15 games. How is he expected to be sharp when he does get in? Sounds like all the bullpen guys are upset about it and pulling for him. That's ridiculous to let him go that long without work. He's a solid guy in our bullpen and yet the call always goes out for Flash or Koch. I don't get it. Glover is a good pitcher and I hope Jerry starts using him. He said he might start one game of the doubleheader with Cleveland which would be nice. I understand that he's the long-relief guy but still he has to get some work in. White pitched two innings in each of the last two Cubs games. Gary could've pitched one of those days. Glover seems to be bothered and frustrated, but he's dealing with it and not getting upset at the manager.

Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030629&content_id=402130&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

It's too bad the Tinkerer has no idea how to run a bullpen. Glover can be an effective set up man. He's proven it in the past. Once he works the rust off, I'd rather see Glover pitch then Koch.

Bob

voodoochile
06-30-2003, 01:00 PM
He should have pitched yesterday, but instead, Manuel allowed one of our top guys to throw a bunch of innings in mopup work. It is really frustrating. If they aren't going to use these guys then send them down or trade them and open up room on the roster for more hitters.

gosox41
06-30-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
He should have pitched yesterday, but instead, Manuel allowed one of our top guys to throw a bunch of innings in mopup work. It is really frustrating. If they aren't going to use these guys then send them down or trade them and open up room on the roster for more hitters.

:jerry
Now why didn't I think of that? I'm always looking for a way to do some more tinkering.

Joel Perez
06-30-2003, 02:20 PM
From ChiSox.Com:

During his down time, Glover has worked on a new pitching style. It’s an approach that could make him even tougher on the opposition -- whenever he gets the next opportunity.

“Gary changed his arm angle and is throwing three-quarters now,” White explained. “He has nastier stuff than before he pitched last.

Maybe he needed the downtime to work on his pitching form...best to do this on the side, and when the coaches feel that he can command it, then come back to the hill. But for now, the games are that much more meaningful, with the Sox usually in these one-run games, and you do not have too much time tinkering with your pitching form...this should've been done in spring training and during the first month of the season.

jeremyb1
06-30-2003, 05:23 PM
i think the entire situation with glover was mishandled early in the season. making him the long relief man was ridiculous when he's proved time and time again he's best in short stints. he was most successful last season pitching one inning as our set up guy.

the problem is that now he is clearly not sharp and is a major liability out on the mound. i disagree with the notion that he should've pitched yesterday. we were only down three runs and had shown a lot of ability to score late against the cubs in the previous two games. if jose gets a little bit more of the ball in the 8th we have a tie game. if glover had pitched he probably gives up a couple runs. manuel is really paying for his mistake now since nearly all our games have been close he hasn't had much of an opportunity to pitch glover. it'd be nice if we could continue to score 6 or 7 runs a game and combine that with some good starts and then we'd have lots of opportunities to get glover some work.

1951Campbell
06-30-2003, 10:37 PM
Ask and ye shall receive!

MHOUSE
06-30-2003, 10:53 PM
The day I make a thread, he pitches! I guess I got through to Jerry somehow, huh? Well at least he got some work. He seemed a little rusty, but I do believe that he's an effective pitcher if used regularly. He has proven it before. White has been effective lately so let Glover mop up and use White in some more close games perhaps. Just get this guy work and he will do well I promise!

duke of dorwood
06-30-2003, 11:08 PM
Gotta give him credit-he has said nothing, and I still like his arm. He was good enuf to be a starter last year and an effort should be made to get him work. We will need him.

MHOUSE
06-30-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Gotta give him credit-he has said nothing, and I still like his arm. He was good enuf to be a starter last year and an effort should be made to get him work. We will need him.

What a standup guy to just wait his turn. He knows Manuel is a moron and he's frustrated, but he's been a professional about it and gone along. I would much rather have that from all our players instead of talking about the fans or something.

jeremyb1
06-30-2003, 11:15 PM
i was glad he got some work tonight but i almost felt worse for him. he only got one inning instead of two because manuel decided for some reason that marte needed work. then, he gets hit on the arm and a bunch of classless fans boo him for getting hit around after not pitching for two weeks!! poor guy.

MHOUSE
06-30-2003, 11:17 PM
I knew he would give up a run and people would be like you suck and I'm like dood he hasn't pitched in two weeks. Boo Manuel. Why does Marte need work in a 10-2 game? Give that inning to Sanders or Glover also. It's little things like that that don't make sense.

gosox41
07-01-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I knew he would give up a run and people would be like you suck and I'm like dood he hasn't pitched in two weeks. Boo Manuel. Why does Marte need work in a 10-2 game? Give that inning to Sanders or Glover also. It's little things like that that don't make sense.

I have fear that JM is going to burn out Marte.

Bob

34 Inch Stick
07-01-2003, 12:32 PM
I have a fear that JM is going to make it to the end of his contract-NEXT YEAR!