PDA

View Full Version : Throwback uniform question

Fisk72
06-30-2003, 12:39 PM
I love our current uni's. However, if you could pick a throwback uniform to wear for one Sunday game, what would it be? I'd go for the 50's black pinstripes.

A.T. Money
06-30-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
I love our current uni's. However, if you could pick a throwback uniform to wear for one Sunday game, what would it be? I'd go for the 50's black pinstripes.

Very similar to what we wear now. I'd probably pick the 1919 unis like they wore in Eight Men Out.

A.T. Money
06-30-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
The 50s uni is very similar to what we wear now. They had red outlining instead of silver though. I'd probably pick the 1919 unis like they wore in Eight Men Out.

Hangar18
06-30-2003, 12:44 PM
***YESS**** the 1959 uniforms are the ones i'd LOVE
to see on a Sunday. In Fact, wish theyd put a little tiny
bit of red around the Logo/Numbers on the home uni.
ANd keep the vest look (not that phony black sewn on sleeve
look, its terrible) with the blk Shirt underneath. dont know
why, but the Sox Look Great wearing that.

Hullett_Fan
06-30-2003, 12:52 PM
At least this season I'd have to say the '83 one to commemorate the 20th anniversary. I think they plan to wear it one game this year (any one know which game?).

I see so many people in the stands wearing stuff from that era...why hasn't the team worn the unis yet?? The Phillies and Orioles looked cool in their throwbacks this weekend.

A.T. Money
06-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Oops.

FJA
06-30-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
At least this season I'd have to say the '83 one to commemorate the 20th anniversary. I think they plan to wear it one game this year (any one know which game?).

I see so many people in the stands wearing stuff from that era...why hasn't the team worn the unis yet?? The Phillies and Orioles looked cool in their throwbacks this weekend.

Turn Back the Clock Weekend is listed as the weekend of Sept. 5.

Hullett_Fan
06-30-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Turn Back the Clock Weekend is listed as the weekend of Sept. 5.

THANKS FJA!!!

ewokpelts
06-30-2003, 01:06 PM
I think they should wear a different throwback uni every weekend....or rotate four older uniforms...mebbe 1917/1919, 30's, 59, and 89 jerseys.......

DC Sox Fan
06-30-2003, 01:12 PM
At least this season I'd have to say the '83 one to commemorate the 20th anniversary.

I know they are kinda ugly but pretty nostalgic. I dig those unis.

Lip Man 1
06-30-2003, 01:26 PM
The uniforms that they wore from 1951 through 1963 without question.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
06-30-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
***YESS**** the 1959 uniforms are the ones i'd LOVE
to see on a Sunday. In Fact, wish theyd put a little tiny
bit of red around the Logo/Numbers on the home uni.
ANd keep the vest look (not that phony black sewn on sleeve
look, its terrible) with the blk Shirt underneath. dont know
why, but the Sox Look Great wearing that.

I'm no fashion expert, but I believe the reason the Sox vests look soooooo good can be traced directly to the team's colors: black & white. There is simply no other color combination that offers such a contrast and that is precisely what a sleeveless vest is supposed to do. That's why I laugh at teams like the Royals who attempt the same look using blue. It just doesn't work.

Pittsburgh wore vests for years and they looked great. Like the Sox, they wore black shirts under white vests. However, the added yellow accents detract from the black & white contrast. Thus the Sox' look is far superior. I'm afraid if the Sox added red accents to the uniform, they would have to ditch the sleeveless vests. That would be one ugly uniform.

34 Inch Stick
06-30-2003, 02:04 PM
And you say you are not a fashion expert.

My fashion sense extends no further than no stripes with polka dots. I know the shirt on my floor goes with my pants if it doesn't have BO or isn't wrinkled.

soxrme
06-30-2003, 02:08 PM
My vote is for the 50's uniforms - classic Sox.

Thunderstruck30
06-30-2003, 04:20 PM
Not the 1917 uniform since they wore those in 2001. Id say either 1959 or 1983.

dickallen15
06-30-2003, 06:20 PM
The red ones that I used to wear. No buttons, zip-up fronts.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-30-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
The red ones that I used to wear. No buttons, zip-up fronts.

I'm partial to the red ones, too. I especially liked the road version, powder blue cloth with red numerals and lettering, script "Chicago" across the chest with "White Sox" inside the underline flourish. Under the lights those uniforms looked like they were glowing. Way cool. :cool:

However I think those uniforms need to stay back in the 70's. They are definitely creatures of their time. Of course if bell bottoms, 'fros, hip huggers, and freaky facial hair ever make a comeback...

Hey, wait a minute!

:gulp:

Paulwny
06-30-2003, 06:35 PM
Have the sox ever worn the 1919 uniform ?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-30-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Have the sox ever worn the 1919 uniform ?

The 1919 uniform is nearly identical to the plain 1917 uniform, not the red, white, and blue versions from the World Series that were reissued for Sundays in 2001. The Sox wore an updated version of the plain '17 uniform for the original TBCD back in 1990 at Old Comiskey. I don't believe they've ever worn the "1919" version.

Paulwny
06-30-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The 1919 uniform is nearly identical to the plain 1917 uniform, not the red, white, and blue versions from the World Series that were reissued for Sundays in 2001. The Sox wore an updated version of the plain '17 uniform for the original TBCD back in 1990 at Old Comiskey. I don't believe they've ever worn the "1919" version.

I realize they be honoring a "cheater" team but right now I'll believe in anything. This will eliminate the ghosts of 1919 that have been haunting this team. Naw, nobody believes in witch craft or hexes.

StillMissOzzie
07-01-2003, 12:16 AM
Was the giveaway for the Friday game against the Scrubs meant to be a clue? They were these jersey-shaped bottle jackets in the 1983 "license plate" uni. One of my favorites because it was the first real winner I felt a part of.

:gulp:

doublem23
07-01-2003, 12:32 AM
I kind of like the late-80s ones... With the script, "White Sox" across the front and the "C" on the cap. I think those are extremely underrated, but nothing can compare to the vests they were on Sundays. They are truly great baseball uniforms. I kind of wish they would wear the road greys as vests.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-01-2003, 03:02 AM
:veeck
"No one wants to see the team in shorts?"

Actually, I don't either. My vote goes for the 1983 Winning Ugly uni's. They are so ugly, but you can't help looking at them.

Also, The Phillies played in their 80's throwbacks this past weekend. It was good to see the old uni's. Like those better, although it appears the Phil's have adopted their 50's-60's look already for the current outfit.

Blueprint1
07-01-2003, 03:21 AM
The worst uniform ever was the C on the hat and the Whitesox script on the front of the late 80's early 90's. I think that uniform might have been the worst uniform in baseball history. I like the 83 SOX uniform. I like basicly every sox uniform except the late 80's early 90's ones. Well they did only wear the shorts once in the late 70's so i don't count that.

hsnterprize
07-01-2003, 06:10 AM
I'm more leaning towards the mid- to late-80's uni's. Those are the uni's I first remember when I started to watch the Sox more closely. The red, white, and blue with the big S-O-X on the front, and the numbers on the pants were a pretty neat idea. Now that I think about it, I can remember a story on the news that showed players on TV modeling several designs for a "new" uniform for the Sox before the 1983 season. Personally, I'd love to get one of those jerseys. I know I can get one at Grandstand. Simply put...those uni's were pretty nice.

Fisk72
07-01-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I'm partial to the red ones, too. I especially liked the road version, powder blue cloth with red numerals and lettering, script "Chicago" across the chest with "White Sox" inside the underline flourish.

What was up with just about every team using the powder blue in their uniforms back in the 70's and 80's? I wasn't much of a fan of it - they reminded me of the Smurfs!