PDA

View Full Version : Gumshoe says SUCK IT to Rowand naysayers


Gumshoe
06-30-2003, 10:41 AM
Our guy in CF only has a select number of at bats and people complain about his low average. He was coming off an accident, people. He's still the best CF we've got and he's a hustler. I hope the bombs that he displayed made some type of believer of you guys. He also got on base quite a bit, Rowand-haters ... I think he said "suck it" to all you on these posts that don't think he is the deserving CF. Nuff said.

Gumshoe

Hangar18
06-30-2003, 11:00 AM
did he actually say "suck it" to us? Or did you Graduate
from the Kiley School of Journalism ? heh heh. I didnt know
he said anything about this weekend. I know he must be
glad to have had a good day Sat/Sun. he was playing too
DEEP on some hits Sunday though....not sure if that washis
fault or not....

kermittheefrog
06-30-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
Our guy in CF only has a select number of at bats and people complain about his low average. He was coming off an accident, people. He's still the best CF we've got and he's a hustler. I hope the bombs that he displayed made some type of believer of you guys. He also got on base quite a bit, Rowand-haters ... I think he said "suck it" to all you on these posts that don't think he is the deserving CF. Nuff said.

Gumshoe

Are you sure that wasn't "I SUCK"?

oldcomiskey
06-30-2003, 11:02 AM
and just when and how did this superstar say this

Gumshoe
06-30-2003, 11:08 AM
It was a figurative "suck it" ... I happen to like the guy a lot and I know he's our best CF. His performance has demonstrated he's more than capable. Like he reads WSI to even make a comment ... I was just using a figure of speech. Enjoy peeps

G

lowesox
06-30-2003, 11:24 AM
While I like the idea of supporting a guy like Rowand who works his but off you may want to rethink the heading for this thread. Chances are it won't endear him to the many WSIers who dislike him.

Ironically, the fact that Rowand is the kind of guy who would never say suck it to fans is one other reason to like him.

Dadawg_77
06-30-2003, 11:35 AM
I love the fact that people base conclusions on very small sample sizes. A great means to a faulty conclusion. When the averages say a player isn't that good, but he will produce every now and again, it is always enjoyable to watch people jump on that player's bandwagon after the now and again. Always forgetting that over the long term a player won't produce at such a high level.

Randar68
06-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
It was a figurative "suck it" ... I happen to like the guy a lot and I know he's our best CF. His performance has demonstrated he's more than capable. Like he reads WSI to even make a comment ... I was just using a figure of speech. Enjoy peeps

G

Everytime one of these AAAA players get's a couple hits, people start flapping their gums forgetting about previous, pre-crash-injury, performance and lack of general ability...

SUCK THIS!

MHOUSE
06-30-2003, 11:40 AM
I support Rowand and I'm glad he's finally hitting. Is he going to become some great CF now? No. But I'm glad that he's producing and playing well and hustling. He's our best option in CF until Borchard is ready or a replacement is brought it. No more Willie Harris!

Randar68
06-30-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I love the fact that people base conclusions on very small sample sizes. A great means to a faulty conclusion. When the averages say a player isn't that good, but he will produce every now and again, it is always enjoyable to watch people jump on that player's bandwagon after the now and again. Always forgetting that over the long term a player won't produce at such a high level.


Thank god some people use the thing between their ears instead of the thing in their chest.

cheeses_h_rice
06-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Hey, Aaron, great home run on Saturday -- you saved the game.

Now, can you get your average above .200? Pretty please?

voodoochile
06-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
While I like the idea of supporting a guy like Rowand who works his but off you may want to rethink the heading for this thread. Chances are it won't endear him to the many WSIers who dislike him.

Ironically, the fact that Rowand is the kind of guy who would never say suck it to fans is one other reason to like him.

Done...

moochpuppy
06-30-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Thank god some people use the thing between their ears

I quite often see Cub fans picking their nose while watching a game.

Gumshoe
06-30-2003, 02:36 PM
I love the fact that people base conclusions on very small sample sizes. A great means to a faulty conclusion. When the averages say a player isn't that good, but he will produce every now and again, it is always enjoyable to watch people jump on that player's bandwagon after the now and again. Always forgetting that over the long term a player won't produce at such a high level.

You are guilty of your own logic here, DAWG. Rowand only had 300 at bats last year and that was in spottier play. He's never even approached playing consistently for a season. Now that is a small sample size. If he plays two years with 400+ at bats and he still only is a .250 hitter with so so numbers, fine. Don't judge him on sporadic play and then call things definitely faulty conclusions. I know he can produce enough to help the team. This is what I'm saying. GIVE him a long term chance, that's all I ask.

G

maurice
06-30-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
If he plays two years with 400+ at bats and he still only is a .250 hitter . . .

. . . then he'll still be a better player than Willie Harris. :cool:

BTW: speaking of small sample sizes, Reed is posting ridiculous numbers at AA, and Anderson is tearing up rookie league. Factor in Webster, Borchard, and maybe Sweeney, and the Sox are loaded with minor league OF prospects. I sense a trade for a stopgap CF or 2B in our near future.

Randar68
06-30-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by maurice
. . . then he'll still be a better player than Willie Harris. :cool:

BTW: speaking of small sample sizes, Reed is posting ridiculous numbers at AA, and Anderson is tearing up rookie league. Factor in Webster, Borchard, and maybe Sweeney, and the Sox are loaded with minor league OF prospects. I sense a trade for a stopgap CF or 2B in our near future.

Getting a Singleton and/or Pierre allows you to trade Lee when Reed and Borchard are ready.

Gumshoe
06-30-2003, 03:02 PM
I agree, I don't really like Harris in CF AT ALL. He is fast as hell, but he never walks ... hmm wondering what we should do with him. Why not trade him?

BTW, can we just DROP Rios. How worthless is he?

Gumshoe

Dadawg_77
06-30-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
You are guilty of your own logic here, DAWG. Rowand only had 300 at bats last year and that was in spottier play. He's never even approached playing consistently for a season. Now that is a small sample size. If he plays two years with 400+ at bats and he still only is a .250 hitter with so so numbers, fine. Don't judge him on sporadic play and then call things definitely faulty conclusions. I know he can produce enough to help the team. This is what I'm saying. GIVE him a long term chance, that's all I ask.

G

He will be lucky to be a .250 hitters. Problem with Rowand is he doesn't work the count, taking 3.48 pitchers per PA this year (avg for him). This leads to low walk totals which leads to low OBP. This is partially from the hacking approach all Sox hitters, except Frank, are tending to take at the plate this year. If Aaron becomes a lot more patient at the plate, his production will improve greatly. This is based on small sample size but on his entire career.

kermittheefrog
06-30-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
You are guilty of your own logic here, DAWG. Rowand only had 300 at bats last year and that was in spottier play. He's never even approached playing consistently for a season. Now that is a small sample size. If he plays two years with 400+ at bats and he still only is a .250 hitter with so so numbers, fine. Don't judge him on sporadic play and then call things definitely faulty conclusions. I know he can produce enough to help the team. This is what I'm saying. GIVE him a long term chance, that's all I ask.

G

He did have a long term opportunity to show his skills. It's called the minor leagues and he didn't do anything special outside of a half season in AAA. This year and last he's been lousy in the majors and even lousier when he returned to the minors. He hasn't at any point showed me something that makes me think he's a major league regular.

Randar68
06-30-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
You are guilty of your own logic here, DAWG. Rowand only had 300 at bats last year and that was in spottier play. He's never even approached playing consistently for a season. Now that is a small sample size. If he plays two years with 400+ at bats and he still only is a .250 hitter with so so numbers, fine. Don't judge him on sporadic play and then call things definitely faulty conclusions. I know he can produce enough to help the team. This is what I'm saying. GIVE him a long term chance, that's all I ask.

G


Here is the fault in your logic:

Rowand was never a very good hitter in the minor leagues, with well over 1000 minor league at-bats in full-time play. Yet, you somehow think he will turn into a major league starter and cite his substandard offensive production in the majors as due to his lack of PT or consistent play or injuries, blah blah blah. His lackluster hitting is not some illusion caused by playing time or any other random factor you like to spout off. It is a continuation of a trend he set over several minor league seasons. This trend does not just flip on it's head when someone get's major league playing time....

(Insert next random excuse for Rowand being a victim here)

Blueprint1
06-30-2003, 03:11 PM
Well Harris is batting what a team worst 180 but we have to have his speed in the lineup. Wait if he cant get on base how does his speed and no power help us?

maurice
06-30-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Well Harris is batting what a team worst 180 but we have to have his speed in the lineup. Wait if he cant get on base how does his speed and no power help us?

Boy did you hop into the lions den. [FLAME SHIELDS]

I agree with you 100%. However, neither Harris nor Rowand will be a good major league CF. Lots of folks here like Rowand a lot and think he'll be a great producer. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of evidence supporting that argument. On the flip side, some folks prefer Harris, because he's fast, and because they think Rowand is a pile of dung. It seems to me that Harris' major league career will be stunted by the fact that he can't hit a lick, and that Rowand will continue to perform unspectacularly in accordance with his career numbers (513 ABs, 25 2B, 2 3B, 14 HR, 70 Runs, 61 RBI, .259 AVE, .316 OBP). In other words, Rowand is a passable CF with a little pop and average speed. His hold on a starting job will always be tenuous, as his GM constantly will be trying to upgrade his position.

TornLabrum
06-30-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
I hope the bombs that he displayed made some type of believer of you guys. He also got on base quite a bit, Rowand-haters ... I think he said "suck it" to all you on these posts that don't think he is the deserving CF. Nuff said.

Gumshoe

In response to the first few posts following this: Um...guys? Read this again. I don't think Rowand said anything. I think Gum said that the home runs were his way of saying something. I doubt if Rowand reads this message board.

Randar68
06-30-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Um...guys? Read this again. I don't think Rowand said anything. I think Gum said that the home runs were his way of saying something. I doubt if Rowand reads this message board.


We know. Gum forgot to take his medication today.

voodoochile
06-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
In response to the first few posts following this: Um...guys? Read this again. I don't think Rowand said anything. I think Gum said that the home runs were his way of saying something. I doubt if Rowand reads this message board.

The original title of this thread is listed in the first message. People were responding to that before I changed the thread title.

TornLabrum
06-30-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The original title of this thread is listed in the first message. People were responding to that before I changed the thread title.

Ah, that explains it!

Hangar18
06-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Rowand could be capable of helping this team, short-term.
But Yes, we need a FT ML Caliber CF'er......

RKMeibalane
06-30-2003, 06:22 PM
I respect Aaron Rowand for the hustle and desire he displays on the baseball field. There are a number of players who would do well to put as much effort into their jobs as he does. Having said that, Rowand will never be a starter at the Major League level. He just isn't good enough. He has swung the bat well for the past few days, but he has never shown any indication of being a consistent performer for the Chicago White Sox. The best his supporters can hope for is that he earns playing time as a fourth outfielder on a contending team. Whether he remains with the Sox is anyone's guess.