PDA

View Full Version : Uh, Jack Lopez, how old are you?

Viva Magglio
06-30-2003, 09:26 AM
I thought there was a rule that batboys had to be at least fourteen years of age. This rule was put into effect by Bud Selig after Darren Baker almost got run over in the World Series. If teams are now supposed to abide by this rule, who was that young lad seen picking up Moises Alou's bat after the Cubs' left fielder went deep? It was Jack Lopez who is the son of Cubs' bullpen coach Juan Lopez. A caption of in the Daily Southtown identifies little Jack as the "batboy."

I do not know when Jack Lopez was born, but his height (compared to Alou at 6'3" and Sammy Sosa at 6'0" in the picture with him) does not suggest that he is fourteen. If he is not fourteen, why is he being used as a batboy? I am not trying to make a federal case out of this, but why are the Cubs being allowed to violate this rule?

Commissioner Selig made such a big deal out of this after the near-mishap with Darren Baker, yet he is showing his spinelessness by not telling the Cubs to stop using Jack Lopez as a batboy.

34 Inch Stick
06-30-2003, 11:25 AM
His name is actually Poppy Hidalgo and he is 45 years old.

A.T. Money
06-30-2003, 11:27 AM
Maybe he's a midget.

gosox41
06-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Maybe he's a midget.

They're called little people.

Sorry, it had to be said. I can't stand people who feel the need to correct people on this.

Bob

Hangar18
06-30-2003, 01:06 PM
I thought midgets were little people? Yes, I noticed that
too, this little kid coming out as a batboy on that Alou
homer, and I thought wait a second, how old is this kid?