PDA

View Full Version : AM 1000..Bruce "lackey" Levine and Kenny Williams


captain54
06-30-2003, 12:48 AM
Is anyone else sick of Bruce Levine and his asskissing routine on the "Talking Baseball" AM 1000 sun. morning segment??

He has Kenny Williams on the show Sunday morning, and I just ended up turning it off it was so lame....Bruce Levine usually has his lips planted on everyone's behind he interviews, but its really getting laughable....he basically "congratulated" Kenny Williams on the Sox having some success lately with the Cubs, and it seems in a backhanded way he is always taking a dig at the naysayers...

I remember when he stuck up for Scheuler and chided the fans who ripped Scheuler for not making a deal in 2000 to get the Sox some pitching help....Schueler, if you remember correctly, didn't want to part with Kip Wells, Josh Fogg, Garland, Rocky Biddle, and a few other young pitchers....

So then in 2002 when Williams dumped Fogg and Wells for that piece of crap Todd Ritchie, Bruce "I'll shine your shoes, " Levine, was congratulating Kenny for making "the right moves"...

Just before I turned it off this morning, though, I did hear something that almost made me drive off the road....Kenny Williams said that the recent "success" of the Sox has shown how wrong the naysayers were about demanding "personnel changes" ( I assume he's talking about Jerry Manuel)...Of course, the AM 1000 asskisser agreed with him....also, when Levine mentioned the game winning HR by Valentine on Friday, Williams chimed in that he "personally recommended" Valentine to Schueler when the deal was made for Valentine from Milwaukee prior to the 2000 season... funny how he never mentions that on the show or anywhere else when Valentine blows a game for a bad defensive play....

What Kenny doesnt realize is that if the Sox were in any other division but the AL Central their season would be over....So don't get too cocky, Kenny, this team still has plenty of holes, thanks to you....and don't cry about the fact that you don't have Steinbrenners bankroll to work with.....your problems go way beyond that....

and finally Sox fans, I would just like you to savor one more comment by Kenny...he said "Its nice to see the fans come out to the park"
(like they have for the cubs/sox series)....."we know that the players play is always elevated when the fans show up at the games"...(of course, AM 1000 AssKisser agreed with him)

Translation: it is YOUR fault AGAIN for the sub .500 season, third disappointing season in a row, Sox fans.....

Kenny, Kenny, Kenny....when are you going to learn?...there are a lot of Sox fans that have been Sox fans longer than you have been alive....we have been buying Sox tickets and following them for a long time...we have nothing to prove to you....you need to prove to US that this organization is serious about putting a winner on the field.....

Bottom line, Kenny, the reality is this....if Reinsdorf was REALLY serious about making Sox a World Series contender, you probably wouldn't be the GM....I'm not saying you can't EVER become a great GM, but not many rookie GM's are given a team that just came off a Division title and still kept around after the third disappointing season in a row....

MarqSox
06-30-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by captain54

and finally Sox fans, I would just like you to savor one more comment by Kenny...he said "Its nice to see the fans come out to the park"
(like they have for the cubs/sox series)....."we know that the players play is always elevated when the fans show up at the games"...(of course, AM 1000 AssKisser agreed with him)


Yeah, so? Whether it was meant as a dig or not, I don't know ... but what player would rather play in front of an empty stadium than a full one?

Yeah, yeah, you can say the players are professionals and it shouldn't matter what the crowd is like. But think about that next time you feel tempted to give your team some extra support by cheering loudly or by jeering the other team ... if the crowd doesn't matter, why do it?

34 Inch Stick
06-30-2003, 08:51 AM
Try Julie Swieca on Sunday mornings from 7 to 11 on the SCORE. It's a great show at that time.

gosox41
06-30-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by captain54


Just before I turned it off this morning, though, I did hear something that almost made me drive off the road....Kenny Williams said that the recent "success" of the Sox has shown how wrong the naysayers were about demanding "personnel changes" ( I assume he's talking about Jerry Manuel)...Of course, the AM 1000 asskisser agreed with him....also, when Levine mentioned the game winning HR by Valentine on Friday, Williams chimed in that he "personally recommended" Valentine to Schueler when the deal was made for Valentine from Milwaukee prior to the 2000 season... funny how he never mentions that on the show or anywhere else when Valentine blows a game for a bad defensive play....

What Kenny doesnt realize is that if the Sox were in any other division but the AL Central their season would be over....So don't get too cocky, Kenny, this team still has plenty of holes, thanks to you....and don't cry about the fact that you don't have Steinbrenners bankroll to work with.....your problems go way beyond that....



While the team has been playing better as of late, let's see them keep it up for awhile. We're not even at .500 yet and KW is already opening his trap about how wrong the fans were. Well, I hope I am wrong about this team and they do win it all. But being 4 1/2 games out and 3 games under .500 is hardly anything to gloat about.

Bob

captain54
06-30-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Yeah, so? Whether it was meant as a dig or not, I don't know ... but what player would rather play in front of an empty stadium than a full one?

Yeah, yeah, you can say the players are professionals and it shouldn't matter what the crowd is like. But think about that next time you feel tempted to give your team some extra support by cheering loudly or by jeering the other team ... if the crowd doesn't matter, why do it?

you're missing the point..

an empty stadium and lack of fan support should be a wake up call for management to improve the club and show fans they are committed to putting a winner on the field....rather than another run of the mill .500 ballclub...

this current management has a tendency to try to turn it around and say the reason the Sox are mediocre is because of lack of fan support, which is totally absurd....

MarqSox
06-30-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by captain54
an empty stadium and lack of fan support should be a wake up call for management to improve the club and show fans they are committed to putting a winner on the field....rather than another run of the mill .500 ballclub...


We can't use that excuse. Remember in 2000, when the Sox had the best record in all of baseball? We were still getting crowds of 15,000 in September!

PaleHoseGeorge
06-30-2003, 12:57 PM
Baseball might be the only business in America that routinely blames its own paying customers (or the hired help) for all of its problems. I'm glad more businesses don't have an anti-trust exemption. It would suck to deal with this kind of arrogance at Kmart.

:reinsy
"Walmart gets all the favorable press. We can't get our good-for-nothing Kmart shoppers to come out to our stores and stock up on overpriced lousy merchandise!"

captain54
06-30-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
We can't use that excuse. Remember in 2000, when the Sox had the best record in all of baseball? We were still getting crowds of 15,000 in September!


Remember 1983??

The Sox played championship caliber baseball from June thru September and a Sox ticket was difficult to come by...

I remember 2000....the Sox played champioship caliber baseball the first half and fans showed up....their second half record was .500 and they were uninspiring to watch....

Sox fans aren't stupid....

Foulke You
06-30-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
We can't use that excuse. Remember in 2000, when the Sox had the best record in all of baseball? We were still getting crowds of 15,000 in September!

As stated in plenty of other posts. The Sox have a low season ticket base so they depend on huge walkup to fill the park. We were winning in 2000 and our attendance was up. On weekends, we were getting 30,000 + and on weekdays 20,000 +. Not a HUGE uprgrade but interest was higher as were TV ratings. The reason we drew low attendance in September is a couple of reasons.

1. There was no real pennant race in September as the Sox had such a stranglehold on the division that the Indians basically had to sweep every team down the stretch to catch us and hope we lost 2 out of 3 in every series. Sox fans were simply sitting and waiting for the playoffs to start.

2. Kids go back to school in September and attendance traditionally goes down around this time, hence lower walkup crowds.

If the Sox had managed to sustain the success through '01 and '02, their season ticket base would have gone up and attendance would improve. Since we went right back to mediocrity, so did the attendance.

To me though, the attendance is such a non issue, I don't care. Let Cubs fans hang their hats on attendance. In case anyone hasn't noticed the Sox play very well at home this year and the park hasn't been full for all of those games. Sox crowds are a small, loud, and loyal bunch of fans who want to see a championship flag in their park more than a full upper deck.

joecrede
06-30-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
We can't use that excuse. Remember in 2000, when the Sox had the best record in all of baseball? We were still getting crowds of 15,000 in September!

They went from 1.3M in '99 to over 1.9M in '00. Only the Tigers (opening Coamerica) had a greater year-over-year percentage increase.

Gumshoe
06-30-2003, 02:46 PM
I just wanted to mention that you gotta pick and choose your spots with a lot of these sox fans. They are wanting to trade you, Joe! What morons. I know you are the future. Furthermore, guys like Mike Lowell are solid, but destined for bad teams.

Keep it up,

Gumshoe

MarqSox
06-30-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
As stated in plenty of other posts. The Sox have a low season ticket base so they depend on huge walkup to fill the park. We were winning in 2000 and our attendance was up. On weekends, we were getting 30,000 + and on weekdays 20,000 +. Not a HUGE uprgrade but interest was higher as were TV ratings. The reason we drew low attendance in September is a couple of reasons.


Look, I know the reasons, and I don't mean this as an attack against Sox fans. All I'm saying is, the whole "put a good team on the field and I'll go" thing is just as much a cop-out as "we can't compete because our fans don't show up." Both are whiny and inaccurate. JR can afford it, and Sox Fans don't always back up their "If you build it, we will come" claims.

It's sort of "A pox on both your houses" thing.

Foulke You
06-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Look, I know the reasons, and I don't mean this as an attack against Sox fans. All I'm saying is, the whole "put a good team on the field and I'll go" thing is just as much a cop-out as "we can't compete because our fans don't show up." Both are whiny and inaccurate. JR can afford it, and Sox Fans don't always back up their "If you build it, we will come" claims.

It's sort of "A pox on both your houses" thing.

Fair enough, but the "If you build it, we will come" philosophy never really got enough of a chance to get going did it? We had a nice year in 2000 with a really fun club to watch and attendance increased by 600,000 fans as did the TV ratings. We then went into the ALDS in front of sellout crowds and tanked against the Mariners, then we followed that up by playing under .500 ball in '01, and .500 ball in .02. The Reinsdorf regime didn't exactly do a good job of "building it" so we really never will know if long term winning will bring the fans in. I tend to believe it will, but not in one hopeful miracle season. The scars that many Sox fans have will take some time to heal. Prolonged winning in the early '90s saw the Sox rake in huge crowds at New Comiskey Park even in '93 and '94 even when the "newness" of the park had long since worn off.

TornLabrum
06-30-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Fair enough, but the "If you build it, we will come" philosophy never really got enough of a chance to get going did it? We had a nice year in 2000 with a really fun club to watch and attendance increased by 600,000 fans as did the TV ratings. We then went into the ALDS in front of sellout crowds and tanked against the Mariners, then we followed that up by playing under .500 ball in '01, and .500 ball in .02. The Reinsdorf regime didn't exactly do a good job of "building it" so we really never will know if long term winning will bring the fans in. I tend to believe it will, but not in one hopeful miracle season. The scars that many Sox fans have will take some time to heal. Prolonged winning in the early '90s saw the Sox rake in huge crowds at New Comiskey Park even in '93 and '94 even when the "newness" of the park had long since worn off.

To further support this, remember how the Sox tanked in May and June in 2001. I don't think they even made it that long before tanking last year. That's a good way to attract the walk-up crowds: get off to a slow start.