PDA

View Full Version : The Successful Sixties Feature

Lip Man 1
06-29-2003, 10:04 PM
Gang:

I sure hope you take the time to listen to those historic Sox audio cuts from the 60's feature.

Believe me, it'll be worth your time! The exploding scoreboard in the 60's was MUCH louder and crazier then it was in the 70's, 80's and today.

I also think some of you (especially those in their 40's) will enjoy hearing Bob Elson, Milo Hamilton and Red Rush again and Jack Brickhouse interviewing then Chicago American sportswriter Brent Musberger is a classic!

Enjoy!!!!!

Lip

TornLabrum
06-29-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Gang:

I sure hope you take the time to listen to those historic Sox audio cuts from the 60's feature.

Believe me, it'll be worth your time! The exploding scoreboard in the 60's was MUCH louder and crazier then it was in the 70's, 80's and today.

I also think some of you (especially those in their 40's) will enjoy hearing Bob Elson, Milo Hamilton and Red Rush again and Jack Brickhouse interviewing then Chicago American sportswriter Brent Musberger is a classic!

Enjoy!!!!!

Lip

I'd love to hear a recording of the scoreboard that features a booming voice singing "Hallelujah!" It's one of my favorite memories of the old board. I'd almost forgotten how much went on with each homer back then.

No wonder the Yankees lit sparklers and paraded around their dugout when they hit their first HR in Chicago after the Monster was build.

Lip Man 1
06-30-2003, 03:10 AM
A few points...with the great help of Pale Hose George, we hope to have the feature's 1967 part corrected soon.

The audio clip of Tommy McCraw getting a two run single against the Red Sox was accidentally slotted in the Walt "No Neck" Williams getting a double section, and the Williams hit accidentally omitted.

Sorry about that.

Also two thoughts on the attached pictures. I actually think the first one is of Jim Landis sliding into home plate and not Ron Hansen (although it's very hard to tell). If you look closely (under a magnifying glass) the number on the runners right arm appears to be a one, not four.

On the second picture (and I have this one myself) I think thats Tommy John dancing with the girl in the mini skirt. It looks like TJ from his profile. That would put the picture from 1966 at the earliest.

Hope you all enjoy the clips. All Star Game memories are next with the Sounds of the 70's moving into the on deck circle. (Harry Caray is amazing!)

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
06-30-2003, 11:06 AM
A few points...with the great help of Pale Hose George, we hope to have the feature's 1967 part corrected soon.

The audio clip of Tommy McCraw getting a two run single against the Red Sox was accidentally slotted in the Walt "No Neck" Williams getting a double section, and the Williams hit accidentally omitted.

Lip's notations can get a bit confusing, but now it's fixed. Enjoy!

Also two thoughts on the attached pictures. I actually think the first one is of Jim Landis sliding into home plate and not Ron Hansen (although it's very hard to tell). If you look closely (under a magnifying glass) the number on the runners right arm appears to be a one, not four.

Well you may be right, but the caption for the photo taken from a 1966 scorebook clearly states that it is Hansen crossing the plate. So who are you going to believe, the Sox or your lying eyes? :smile:

On the second picture (and I have this one myself) I think thats Tommy John dancing with the girl in the mini skirt. It looks like TJ from his profile. That would put the picture from 1966 at the earliest.

That photo was taken from a '65 scorebook, so it probably dates to 1964. John didn't join the Sox until 1965. Whoever it is dancing with the girl, the Sox aren't saying--probably to protect the guilty.

:gulp:

Lip Man 1
06-30-2003, 02:32 PM
By the way I got an e-mail from Jim a Sox fan (in San Diego I think) who said he's got a program from June 1989 when the Sox had a game matching the 1977 Southside Hit Men vs. the 1969 Cubs.

He didn't say who won! LOL

Thanks for the update but even with that it's still been 13+ years hasn't it? In my opinion the Sox should have one EVERY year (like they did in the mid 70's) matching former Sox players against the rest of baseball.

They should also ask if the "old timers" would be willing to meet with fans and sign autographs before the game.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
06-30-2003, 06:17 PM
By the way I got an e-mail from Jim a Sox fan (in San Diego I think) who said he's got a program from June 1989 when the Sox had a game matching the 1977 Southside Hit Men vs. the 1969 Cubs.

He didn't say who won! LOL

I was at that game played at Old Comiskey. I still have the souvenir program that features Wilbur Wood pitching off the mound wearing Veeck's pajamas. I'm almost positive the '77 Hitmen won, probably because the Flubbies were nearly a decade older and slower.

:gulp: