PDA

View Full Version : Colon's velocity down?

B. Diddy
06-29-2003, 12:31 PM
While watching yesterday's game (and some others earlier this season), I noticed that Bartolo's fastball wasn't hitting much higher than the low 90's on the radar gun (I saw 95 once). I remember him consistently throwing mid-90's to low 100's while in Cleveland, even in the late innings. It is possible that the radar gun is in need of re-calibration, but is Bartolo past his prime already?

OEO Magglio
06-29-2003, 12:35 PM
No, right now it kind of seems like that he's in a dead arm period, he'll be fine very soon.

doublem23
06-29-2003, 01:21 PM
He'll be all right, especially after taking a couple days off during the All-Star Break.

B. Diddy
06-29-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
He'll be all right, especially after taking a couple days off during the All-Star Break.

I don't know. I hope you're right, but I'm not quite so optimistic.

While with the Indians, Bartolo's fastball was consistently 94, 95, 97... I've even seen him clocked at 101. I haven't seen him throw like that YET this season. Granted, I don't get to see every game because I live in central Indiana but, from what I've seen, he doesn't look like the same guy.

I was very surprised that the Indians traded him last year. At first, I thought it was to dump salary, but maybe they knew back then that he was starting to lose it?

doublem23
06-29-2003, 01:44 PM
That and they snuck like 3 (?) ridiculous prospects out of that deal.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-29-2003, 02:00 PM
Let's not start rumors now. His velocity in games other than the last two starts has been right there at 97 and such. Rarely do pitchers actually hit 101 on a regular basis, that tends to be a rumor started by a bad gun, or a time when it happened once or twice. Billy Koch used to be the exception to that rule...regularly hitting 100.

B. Diddy
06-29-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
Let's not start rumors now. His velocity in games other than the last two starts has been right there at 97 and such. Rarely do pitchers actually hit 101 on a regular basis, that tends to be a rumor started by a bad gun, or a time when it happened once or twice. Billy Koch used to be the exception to that rule...regularly hitting 100.

I'm not starting a rumor, I'm stating an obvious fact. Colon has lost velocity on his fastball recently. If he's been throwing low 90's fastballs over the past TWO starts and it's not even July yet, that's a reason to be concerned. He's a guy who would regularly throw 95-98 (even late into the game) while with Cleveland. I didn't say that he used to hit 101 on a regular basis (nobody can).

Speaking of Koch, he's lost about 5 mph off of his fastball as well. Like Bartolo, he's been in the majors for some time and has pitched A LOT of innings. Do you see a pattern here?

I hate to say it, but I think that Kenny Williams has been duped into trading for two power pitchers who are both on the downside of their careers.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-29-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
I'm not starting a rumor, I'm stating an obvious fact. Colon has lost velocity on his fastball recently. If he's been throwing low 90's fastballs over the past TWO starts and it's not even July yet, that's a reason to be concerned. He's a guy who would regularly throw 95-98 (even late into the game) while with Cleveland. I didn't say that he used to hit 101 on a regular basis (nobody can).

Speaking of Koch, he's lost about 5 mph off of his fastball as well. Like Bartolo, he's been in the majors for some time and has pitched A LOT of innings. Do you see a pattern here?

I hate to say it, but I think that Kenny Williams has been duped into trading for two power pitchers who are both on the downside of their careers.

It's called a Dead-Arm period. Almost every pitcher who throws for power has it a couple times a year. If this goes on for another 3 or 4 starts, I'll be very concerned....but this is pretty normal right now.

B. Diddy
06-29-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
It's called a Dead-Arm period. Almost every pitcher who throws for power has it a couple times a year. If this goes on for another 3 or 4 starts, I'll be very concerned....but this is pretty normal right now.

I thought that dead arm period typically occured in late July/early August? :?:

Anyway, I hope you're right, because I definitely think that Koch is done.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-29-2003, 03:00 PM
I thought that dead arm period typically occured in late July/early August? :?:

Anyway, I hope you're right, because I definitely think that Koch is done.

I would agree with you on Koch. He seems to be kinda effective without the velocity, but definitely not the same pitcher.

Oftentimes, with starters, there can be two dead arm periods.

MHOUSE
06-29-2003, 06:58 PM
I'd agree with the dead arm thought. He has pitched like5 complete games and a lot of innings so far this season and I think he's a little fatigued. I know he's a horse and all, but Jerry really let him ride for like 5 or 6 starts in a row. Even Colon needs a break now and then. He'll be fine soon enough.

voodoochile
06-29-2003, 07:03 PM
He looked tired all day on Saturday. His walks to the clubhouse between innings would have made JB look fast. He gets another long week with the off day Thursday, so hopefully he will be fine.

gosox41
06-30-2003, 10:06 AM
While watching yesterday's game (and some others earlier this season), I noticed that Bartolo's fastball wasn't hitting much higher than the low 90's on the radar gun (I saw 95 once). I remember him consistently throwing mid-90's to low 100's while in Cleveland, even in the late innings. It is possible that the radar gun is in need of re-calibration, but is Bartolo past his prime already?

Last week weren't the Sox talking about Colon's sore forearm?

Bob