PDA

View Full Version : Interleague Series Media Bias


chisoxt
06-29-2003, 09:47 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I am getting sick and tired of being force-fed on a constant basis, the yankee-met matchups on national tv. Have we ever seen any, of the intercity rivalries, most notably the sox-cubs? OK, I am not that excited by the Dodgers-Angels, but arguably, since interleague play began, the sox-cubs match-ups have been the most exciting of all the interleague series. But the consistent level of energy that these series produced is never matched in media exposure. (the sox-cubs games have never been fetured on Sunday night baseball).
If a sport is to flourish, it cannot be a 'one-trick poney'. (The NBA has found that out with the decline of Michael Jordan's career).

Sure, baseball needs a strong Yankee team, but interest has to come frorm other teams in other cities in order to provide some balance. Maybe if the national TV outlets touted the other matchups more, some (yes, I know not all) of this balance could be achieved.

hose
06-29-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by chisoxt
I don't know about anyone else, but I am getting sick and tired of being force-fed on a constant basis, the yankee-met matchups on national tv. Have we ever seen any, of the intercity rivalries, most notably the sox-cubs? OK, I am not that excited by the Dodgers-Angels, but arguably, since interleague play began, the sox-cubs match-ups have been the most exciting of all the interleague series. But the consistent level of energy that these series produced is never matched in media exposure. (the sox-cubs games have never been fetured on Sunday night baseball).
If a sport is to flourish, it cannot be a 'one-trick poney'. (The NBA has found that out with the decline of Michael Jordan's career).

Sure, baseball needs a strong Yankee team, but interest has to come frorm other teams in other cities in order to provide some balance. Maybe if the national TV outlets touted the other matchups more, some (yes, I know not all) of this balance could be achieved.


To prove your point the Yankee-Met 2000 World Series had very low tv ratings.

voodoochile
06-29-2003, 10:11 AM
Someone wrote that the city passed a resolution requiring these games to be day games to prevent 40K drunken fans being released on the city at 10:30 PM with half of them in a fighting mood. Tough to get an ESPN game when you can't play at night.

RedPinStripes
06-29-2003, 10:16 AM
Exactly. I doubt Chicago wants to be on national tv at night especially after the last night game i was at. I saw more fights in that park then i 've ever seen in one night when Lee hit the granny to win it all. Not just guys fighting. Women spitting in guys faces, people swinging at security, people puking in their seats ect. I've never seen a bigger angry drunk fest.

FJA
06-29-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Exactly. I doubt Chicago wants to be on national tv at night especially after the last night game i was at. I saw more fights in that park then i 've ever seen in one night when Lee hit the granny to win it all. Not just guys fighting. Women spitting in guys faces, people swinging at security, people puking in their seats ect. I've never seen a bigger angry drunk fest.

IIRC, the last Sox/Cubs night game was the one where Carlos hit the grand slam. There were so many fights that night, it doesn't surprise me they passed a law.

RedPinStripes
06-29-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by FJA
IIRC, the last Sox/Cubs night game was the one where Carlos hit the grand slam. There were so many fights that night, it doesn't surprise me they passed a law.

The sad part is, I really enjoyed that night and would like to see more nights like that. :D: That's just my kind of croud though.

FJA
06-29-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
The sad part is, I really enjoyed that night and would like to see more nights like that. :D: That's just my kind of croud though.

I agree ... I love that kind of crowd. Two Cub fans sitting next to my friend and me that night just came down from a beer run and immediately got into a fight. They got kicked out, but their newly poured beer sat in their cupholders ... guess who got free beer? :D:

(Nothing quite like watching two Flub fans get kicked out and then taking their beer.)

Lip Man 1
06-29-2003, 02:11 PM
The last time a Sox / Cubs night game was on ESPN was a few years ago when the game at Comiskey Park was delayed in the 8th inning when two fans fell over the tarp down the left field line while fighting. They fell on to the field.

ESPN will always have the Yankees / Mets because it involves two New York teams. In theory (if both are good) that means big cable rating on the East Coast.

It's a shame because right now the best (in terms of on field success) two city matchup is the A's / Giants. The Sox / Cubs have the hottest rivalry and I wouldn't mind seeing Dodgers / Angels. They usually have some good games.

Lip

1951Campbell
06-29-2003, 10:53 PM
:boston
"Out here, um, amongst the elite that m-m-m-matters, we don't really care about those, gack, rivalries in the hinterlands."