PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day For North Side Sox Fan

Irishsox1
06-29-2003, 03:51 AM
I've lived on the northside for six years and the last two days were by far the worst as a Sox fan. As usual I went out to celebrate great Sox wins. I wear my Sox hat and keep my mouth shut. I only talk to Sox fans with Sox gear on. With my Sox hat on this weekend I've heard, "I hate the Sox, and I hate you!", "Hey Chief, Only Ni**ers live on the south side, are you a ni**er?", and the always classic, "I'm gonna kill you, f**ker!!!", as his girlfriend grabs the dude and I walk away saying "I don't want any problems." I believe the Tribune Corpration is part to blame with this, due to there "The Sox aren't a rival" stance, along with their desire to drive the Sox out of there market to have Chicago all for them self. It shouldn't be this hard to be a Sox fan living in Chicago.

Go Sox!!!

DrCrawdad
06-29-2003, 03:59 AM
Wearing White Sox stuff is the root of the problem. Don't you realize by so doing it's your fault?

WhiteSox = Life
06-29-2003, 05:29 AM
I hope that was meant in teal...

LuvSox
06-29-2003, 08:39 AM
I'm not sure I could've shown the same restraint you did Irish. I probably would have gone right after those loud mouthed, ***** Cub "fans."

hose
06-29-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
I've lived on the northside for six years and the last two days were by far the worst as a Sox fan. As usual I went out to celebrate great Sox wins. I wear my Sox hat and keep my mouth shut. I only talk to Sox fans with Sox gear on. With my Sox hat on this weekend I've heard, "I hate the Sox, and I hate you!", "Hey Chief, Only Ni**ers live on the south side, are you a ni**er?", and the always classic, "I'm gonna kill you, f**ker!!!", as his girlfriend grabs the dude and I walk away saying "I don't want any problems." I believe the Tribune Corpration is part to blame with this, due to there "The Sox aren't a rival" stance, along with their desire to drive the Sox out of there market to have Chicago all for them self. It shouldn't be this hard to be a Sox fan living in Chicago.

Go Sox!!!

With 45,000 in the park I'm sure there was some brawls yesterday. I didn't happen to see any in my section and the only problem came after the rain delay when a cub fan tossed some beer and a massive security force expelled his sorry ass.

Come to think of it I didn't even hear any loud mouths throwing F- bombs around, which is a nice. I cringe when I hear fans swearing with young kids or women near by.

voodoochile
06-29-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by hose
With 45,000 in the park I'm sure there was some brawls yesterday. I didn't happen to see any in my section and the only problem came after the rain delay when a cub fan tossed some beer and a massive security force expelled his sorry ass.

Come to think of it I didn't even hear any loud mouths throwing F- bombs around, which is a nice. I cringe when I hear fans swearing with young kids or women near by.

Good thing you weren't sitting near me. The flubbie fans behind us were really loud and really rude. Actually they were half and half - Sox/Flubbie fans. The Sox fans were mostly better, but there were two of them who were totally bombed also and they were just as obnoxious as their buddies.

ewokpelts
06-29-2003, 12:57 PM
Y ou weren't sitting in section 164, were you?

DVG
06-30-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1

Go Sox!!!

I've lived on the North Side for about a year now, and I frequently wear my White Sox hat when I venture out. I
have to admit I haven't had any problems. Were you in a
bar perhaps?

As for the comment about ni--ers living on the South Side,
that is just disgusting and sick. I wish you were a column-
ist for one of our respectable papers and could write all
about it. We've heard and read about what "white trash"
Sox fans are for running out onto the field, but I have yet
to ever hear or read about the kinds of so-called "fans"
who spout that garbage.

1951Campbell
06-30-2003, 12:11 AM
"Hey Chief, Only Ni**ers live on the south side, are you a ni**er?",

The Cub fans are ignorant because, as my T-shirt says, they've never been south of the Art Institute.

Viva Magglio
06-30-2003, 12:12 AM
I lived in Rogers Park for five years during my college days and never really had a problem being a White Sox fan in public there. Sure, I would have the intellectual debate with dumbass Cub fans, but Rogers Park is an example of a North Side neighborhood where Sox fans can actually feel at home.

Areas like Rogers Park and Edgewater can be North Side Sox fan hubs because of the old traditions. Bill Gleason once said that the White Sox were the Catholics' team while the Cubs were the Protestants' team. Because lots of Catholics live in Rogers Park and Edgewater, the White Sox fandom was able to gain a foothold in those neighborhoods that lasts to this day.

I am glad to see stories posted about really nasty Cub fans not exactly hiding their hatred for the Sox, not to mention hatreds for people of color. Let me state right away that I am not making a paintbrush statement that all Cub fans are racist. That really is not the truth, and it is unfortunately true that surely some Sox fans also harbor feelings of intolerance against people of color. In other words, there are racists on both sides.

Yet, with these reported incidents of Cub fan bigotry, we're the only fandom taken to task for our shortcomings.

Randar68
06-30-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Good thing you weren't sitting near me. The flubbie fans behind us were really loud and really rude. Actually they were half and half - Sox/Flubbie fans. The Sox fans were mostly better, but there were two of them who were totally bombed also and they were just as obnoxious as their buddies.

All of you need to visualize...

Visualize Tigers' fans, and swing for the fences!

Nothing shuts a Cubs fan up like swallowing your fist or foot!

Randar68
06-30-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Areas like Rogers Park and Edgewater can be North Side Sox fan hubs because of the old traditions. Bill Gleason once said that the White Sox were the Catholics' team while the Cubs were the Protestants' team. Because lots of Catholics live in Rogers Park and Edgewater, the White Sox fandom was able to gain a foothold in those neighborhoods that lasts to this day.

Count me in as a Rogers Park (transplant) Sox fan. There are a lot of Sox fans up here, but if you step foot into Evanston, beware.

voodoochile
06-30-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Y ou weren't sitting in section 164, were you?

No, I was in 535. Funny thing is those same guys were behind me today again, but I think they all had hangovers because they were much more subdued...

Randar68
06-30-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
No, I was in 535. Funny thing is those same guys were behind me today again, but I think they all had hangovers because they were much more subdued...

No, that was the guarantee that the SOx would win a minimum of 4 of 6 and if they opened their traps, there was a good chance the CIbs bullpen would blow it and they would again be leaving holding their Peckers in hand.