PDA

View Full Version : The bandwagon is full again

1951Campbell
06-28-2003, 11:50 PM
Remember all the negativity around here a month or so ago? My how times have changed.

WhiteSox = Life
06-29-2003, 12:27 AM
A lot of people were looking forward to this year as the Sox had bolstered their lineup, starting rotation and bullpen. But, their dismalness turned a lot of people off. I admit I was ready to give up the Sox and my half-hearted effort lasted all of six hours.

A lot more people were around when the season started (well, before the Royals swept the Sox) and their presence became scarce after the event that occurred in my parenthetical sidenote. I don't know if it's a case of bandwagoners, though.

What's a bandwagon? Besides an ornate wagon for carrying a band, a definition that makes no sense here, it's a popular trend that attracts growing support.

The trend was the White Sox' success, right... I mean, supposed success. I don't think it was a case of bandwagoning that caused a lot of support. Sure, there were people who joined and came around much more, thinking the season was going to be magical. But, when it looked like it was not going to happen, they didn't seem to be around anymore.

Now, the Sox are on a resurgence, or just a surgence, if you will, and the fans are back in droves, teeming with positivity. Wait... Fans... Bandwagoners? Or, maybe something else.

A bandwagon is created by something that exists. The Sox' winning ways didn't exist until just recently. So, is it a case of bandwagoners? Or, fair-weathered fans?

What is a fair-weathered fan? Someone who appears when a team is doing well and is gone when they're doing poorly. I think we have fair-weathered fans, more than bandwagoners, based on my definitions.

Of course, that's my opinion.

I now propose this thread debates the question at the bottom of this post. Keep in mind, of course, there are those who joined around this time whom may have done so because they just found out. Then again, you can look at the bandwagoning with those who are coming in now, but the question still is, which I'm modifying from 1951Campbell's original thread topic:

"Is the influx of fans during this period of White Sox winning due to bandwagoning, or fans who are fair-weathered?"

MHOUSE
06-29-2003, 12:53 AM
I think that everyone was right to start questioning this team. They looked like crap. No doubt. The signs of life lately and the use of those wooden things that they swing around and finally winning games. If some changes can be made (Jimenez, center field, manager?) then they might be able to go with it and compete. I think everyone took a step away from this team and towards the ledge with the terrible start to this season, but nobody quit paying attention. Once the team showed us that they might want to start playing and maybe win while their at it, then people started coming back to them. We're no fair weather fans or bandwagoners, just concerned fans who rightly support and criticize their team when needed. Feast and famine are part of life and now we're feasting on the cubbie blue so let it ride!

doublem23
06-29-2003, 12:57 AM
I don't think we're jumping on the bandwagon as much as just becoming more positive because the Sox have been playing very good ball as of late. Even looking back at all the negativity that, understandably, swirled around the boards, there was still a burning passion amongst the majority of posters. If we were "true" bandwagon jumpers, most of us would have remained indifferent in the bad times, not posted, and then would have shown up when the team started playing well.

Call it a bandwagon morale boost. :gulp:

WhiteSox = Life
06-29-2003, 01:05 AM
Before this gets out of hand and everybody starts posting, which probably wasn't going to happen anyway since I posted in this thread, I just want to clarify myself.

There were people who came before the Sox started then left when they started doing poorly. I said I think they were more fair-weathered fans than bandwagoners.

It's easy to tell who is a bandwagoner or a fair-weathered fan on these boards. Just look at who comments and cares about all the games and that's all you need to know.

Of course, that doesn't mean bandwagoners and fair-weathered fans aren't okay. If those kind of people start seeing the Sox win and come to the home games, it would be all the more provocation needed for JR to okay a KW trade.

Actually, maybe being a BW'er or a F-WF isn't that bad (I'm tired of typing the full words) because that might be the start of a true White Sox fan.

Anyway, before I run myself into another wall, let me finish with:

Go, White Sox! I think we can all agree with that!

:gulp:

VeeckAsInWreck
06-29-2003, 03:18 AM
Recently, I've been posting more frequently than I have for the past 2 months. However, I am not a bandwagon jumper. I have stuck by this team the whole year, constantly saying "You just wait".
However, there are too many people on this site who bitch and moan about every little thing that happens. Apparently, no one understands that you can't win em' all. Yes there are many games we could have won, but you can only come to this site so often and see the same few people wanting to have everyone fired/traded or shot execution style. Less negativity and a little more positivity is all I am saying.

The Sox have been beating up on the Cubs, so lately, everyone has been in a good mood.
Winning games like this creates momentum, let's hope the team keeps it up.

MRKARNO
06-29-2003, 07:20 AM
Let me say this before I leave on a trip for 6 weeks, I was never one who thought the sox could not climb out of their hole. They were too good to be 8.5 back and now they're back in the thick of things, which not at all surprises me. While I was down on them, I hadnt counted them out

Let me make a prediction:

Royals will not sell off or buy (or if they buy, it will be small)
Twins will stand pat
Sox will get Roberto Alomar and Chris Singleton (Phil ROgers is the source of the second one)

gosox41
06-29-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
Remember all the negativity around here a month or so ago? My how times have changed.

Don't worry, I'm still here to br critical of Koch, Kinerko, Jimenez,JM and KW. It is nice to see hitters start hitting though!!!!

voodoochile
06-29-2003, 08:39 AM

I'm still riding shotgun and I'm NOT giving up the seat...

RKMeibalane
06-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I'm still riding shotgun and I'm NOT giving up the seat...

I've been sitting somewhere behind you. Who is driving the bandwagon?

ewokpelts
06-29-2003, 11:33 AM
Mayhaps it's the Chairman...or the commish.....

JUGGERNAUT
06-29-2003, 12:13 PM
We we're treading water for a while, but I was bailing it out while the SOX were patching holes.

There's still too much water (haven't reached .500 yet) but progress is looking good. With less water to bail, the ship is picking up steam & all are smiling!

GO WHITE SOX !

btw, along the way we came across
the scrubs boat & lauched a few cannon balls their way. Slowed them down considerably :D:

I'll drink to that matey! :gulp:

This was a 8X (Pirates of the Carribean) theme post! :cool:

Soxfan38
06-29-2003, 12:29 PM
I don't think it is fair to call people like myself fair-weather fans. Or at least not as an insult. When teams I support go bad I don't like to speak to anyone. When they go good I always want to share my enjoyment, if only to my wife who doesn't care. So yes you will only see me here when the sox are winning. But I do follow them via mlb.com and espn everyday, and a little part of me dies every time they lose.

I used to post here under another name but I got busy with work and now that name doesn't work. I was here from the first when FWC(I think it was him) found WSI and George during the 2000 season.
I have been a Sox fan since 1970(I was 4) and just because I only share my thoughts when they are winning does not make me a fair weather fan.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-29-2003, 01:32 PM
I think bandwagoners existed back in 2000. I remember going to a random game that year and it was sold out. I was in shock. I went to about 25 games a year back when I lived at UIC and would always just walk up after a trip down the 8 Bus. I was pleased to see a sold out game but knew it was all bandwagon after the wonderful road trip.

I'm not sure how I feel about fair-weather fans. I think if you polled tons of people in Chicago, you would find tons of people that say they are White Sox fans. They don't really go to the park. My uncle is a giant fan, and probably only goes to 1 game a year. It has to do with an attitude thing, I think. He is a blue-collar hard-working old school guy. Spending all that money on a ticket and beer just doesn't make sense, but he'll never miss a radio or tv broadcast.

Dan H
06-29-2003, 04:55 PM

My mood always changes for the better when the Sox beat the Cubs. But times really haven't really changed. If the Sox were in a better division, they would have a hell of a time contending considering the hole they dug themselves into. You can't play lousy for nearly a half a season and expect fans to he happy.

With people who like to use the bandwagon term, you can't win. First, they say people who don't come aren't loyal. If they do come back, they just fair weather. The fact is the Sox can't afford to bash any fans; their fan base had dwindled too much.

This last week has been great, but you don't build a whole season on one week even when you're beating the Cubs. The Central is still there for the taking. However, the Sox still have to prove they can be a consistent team. Let's not be like Cub fans. Let the Sox get over the .500 hump first. Then we can talk playoffs.

39thandWallace
06-29-2003, 06:43 PM
A full stadium changes the mood of everyone including the players, you can see it in the way they act out there.

Yesterday's win was unbelievable I still can't talk because I blew my voice out screaming. I wish every game was like that.

Lip Man 1
06-29-2003, 08:59 PM
Folks:

With respect...

The Sox have been playing better, MUCH better the past few weeks...however this team still has serious issues in base running and fielding. The hitting is still streaky. Most importantly they are still under .500 with two teams ahead of them in the division.

This club badly needs to keep this streak going. If they can do it for another two weeks and be only two games out at the end of July, perhaps management will go out and pick up some talent that can put them over the top.

Not trying to douse anybody's fire but I wouldn't start hammering so called "band wagon jumpers" just yet. This club still has a ways to go.

Lip

1951Campbell
06-29-2003, 10:15 PM
To clarify, my modest point in starting this thread was this: it seemed in late April/early-May, whenever, the only talk was about how much JM sucked and rumors about his firing, with perhaps some general commentary on how bad the on-the-field play was. Now, folks seem to be hopeful that we can at least put together a .550 kind of year and win baseball's weakest division.

I also think there are as many posters now as on Opening Day, but obviously I have no way of knowing one way or the other.

So I guess what I'm saying is--it's nice to see people off the "ax Gary Ward/JM/KW/insert person to be fired" bandwagon and on the "hey--we might have a chance!" bandwagon. :smile:

voodoochile
06-29-2003, 10:19 PM
To clarify, my modest point in starting this thread was this: it seemed in late April/early-May, whenever, the only talk was about how much JM sucked and rumors about his firing, with perhaps some general commentary on how bad the on-the-field play was. Now, folks seem to be hopeful that we can at least put together a .550 kind of year and win baseball's weakest division.

I also think there are as many posters now as on Opening Day, but obviously I have no way of knowing one way or the other.

So I guess what I'm saying is--it's nice to see people off the "ax Gary Ward/JM/KW/insert person to be fired" bandwagon and on the "hey--we might have a chance!" bandwagon. :smile:

Hey, I still think he sucks and want him to be fired, but I can't stop rooting for the players who are so desperately trying to overcome his constant "brainstorms". I mean come on... Jimenez at third? How can anyone defend that move?...

Anyone?...

Buehler?...

Buehler?...

hose
06-29-2003, 10:24 PM
:mkillcub

voodoochile
06-29-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by hose
:mkillcub

You know that ball was hit hard enough to go out, he just got under it a bit. It was sky high and right to the fence.

Missed it by " " that much... literally...

hsnterprize
06-30-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I think that everyone was right to start questioning this team. They looked like crap. No doubt. The signs of life lately and the use of those wooden things that they swing around and finally winning games. If some changes can be made (Jimenez, center field, manager?) then they might be able to go with it and compete. I think everyone took a step away from this team and towards the ledge with the terrible start to this season, but nobody quit paying attention. Once the team showed us that they might want to start playing and maybe win while their at it, then people started coming back to them. We're no fair weather fans or bandwagoners, just concerned fans who rightly support and criticize their team when needed. Feast and famine are part of life and now we're feasting on the cubbie blue so let it ride! Just to summarize my personal take on why we are towards out team like we are, it's pretty simple in my opinion. It's been already stated in this thread and countless times in other threads. But we Sox fans were constantly fed the hype that this team was going to come out of the start of the season running, and we'd win this division with no problem. Now...no one was expecting the Kansas City Royals to start off the season as well as they did, but when the Sox were swept in KC that opening weekend, we knew there was going to be trouble.

Now the team is starting to play like the squad we were promised during Spring Training, and it's a good thing. However, there's a long way to go in this season, and while I'd like to be optimistic about this season, there's too much potential for the Sox to crash and burn. And not to mention, you add the constant alienating by the Sox management to the fans, and you get a case of "you're gonna screw me, then I'll srew you" syndrome. On other words, if Reinsdorf and company aren't interested in drawing the in by fielding a competitive team and reaching out to those who care about the team, then we're just not going to go to the park. It's just that simple.

Here's another thing to ponder...what's the sense in going to the park for a $1.00 hot dog if the team on the field isn't worth the $1.00 I paid for that wiener? Not to mention, I guess Jerry is so concerned with appealing to the "affluent, southern suburbanite" (and I have no animosity towards suburbanites, but I use that as a phrase), that I think he's forgotten that many hard-working, blue-collar, working class people aren't going to pay $15 to park, at least $12 for a ticket, and other expenses just to eat a $1 hot dog. If you ever wonder why half-price night is such a success, it's because the prices are more reasonable for the majority of Sox fans who come out to the park. Personally, if I were the owner of the team, one of my top priorities would be to find ways to lower ticket prices to that as many Sox fans who want to come out to the ballpark can come. I know baseball economics won't let me keep prices too low, but I don't think there are too many people who will pay $12 and $16 to sit in the upper deck, let along other prices for amenities. There are a lot of great things about USCF, but the prices aren't exactly one of them, at least in my opinion.

hsnterprize
06-30-2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by 39thandWallace
A full stadium changes the mood of everyone including the players, you can see it in the way they act out there.

Yesterday's win was unbelievable I still can't talk because I blew my voice out screaming. I wish every game was like that. Me too, 39th and Wallace...me too.

34 Inch Stick
06-30-2003, 08:47 AM
How do you call anyone who is interested in a team that is 3 games below .500 a band wagon jumper? I would call any person who is here at this point a loyal fan.

Again, I have been burned too often this season. I refuse to get excited until we are both over .500 and less than 5 games behind.

gosox41
06-30-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
How do you call anyone who is interested in a team that is 3 games below .500 a band wagon jumper? I would call any person who is here at this point a loyal fan.

Again, I have been burned too often this season. I refuse to get excited until we are both over .500 and less than 5 games behind.

I agree. A sweep of Minnesota today may change my mood but there are still a lot of question marks about this team.

Bob

Dan H
06-30-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

Not only that, the team hasn't been to World Series in over 40 years.

Right now the big question is can the Sox keep this intensity going for the rest of the season? It's easy to get up for the Cubs. Can they get up day in and day out no matter who they are playing?

1951Campbell
06-30-2003, 10:08 AM
Can they get up day in and day out no matter who they are playing?

I guess we'll find out when they play Tampa Bay.

Hangar18
06-30-2003, 10:17 AM
Every team has their "bandwagon". Even that team up
north. They just have the media to bolster them along too.
The Negativity this team got earlier was Well Deserved.
I will say it IS REFRESHING to hear this team talk about making
ADDITIONS to the team, (like Championship teams do) instead
of SUBTRACTIONS (like losing teams always do)

1951Campbell
07-09-2003, 09:15 PM
Oops. Now it's an entirely different bandwagon.