PDA

View Full Version : Carlos' "double"...

voodoochile
06-28-2003, 11:03 PM
Okay, sitting in the stands it looked like one of the worst calls in MLB history. The fact that the Sox refused to show the replay only confirmed that fact. Was Carlos' second double fair? The one that tagged the first base ump and score Maggs with the then go ahead run.

We were really confused in the stands. It looked foul to us and Karros barely moved. Fortunately Magglio had no such problems...

Tragg
06-28-2003, 11:15 PM
WGN never showed clear replays either. They just kept showing the ump - I missed the play live watched the replays and don't really know what happened.
But that it might not have been fair was never discussed.

doublem23
06-28-2003, 11:18 PM
I thought umps were supposed to stand in foul ground anyway, so I didn't even know there'd be a question about it.

Tragg
06-28-2003, 11:25 PM
Doublem, who has the ML all-time strikeout record and can we expect shamme to eclipse it? thanks

ilsox7
06-28-2003, 11:26 PM
Looked to me like the ball hit the ground and then hit the ump on a first bounce. The ump was right on the line so I can't imagine he got the call wrong, plus I didn't see any arguing. Then again I was in a bar tipping back a couple cold ones...anyways SOX WIN!!!!

voodoochile
06-28-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by ilsox7
Looked to me like the ball hit the ground and then hit the ump on a first bounce. The ump was right on the line so I can't imagine he got the call wrong, plus I didn't see any arguing. Then again I was in a bar tipping back a couple cold ones...anyways SOX WIN!!!!

If it hit the ground then I guess it was fair. It happened so quick and none of us saw a replay at the park. There were so many distracting things happening - Karros complaining, Maggs running for home, Carlos steaming for second. No one thought it was fair. I remember the ump was straddling the line when the pitch was thrown and it hit him in the right hip, but he had jumped into foul territory to try and avoid it. It was confusing, but we weren't complaining. About time the team caught a break.

TornLabrum
06-28-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If it hit the ground then I guess it was fair. It happened so quick and none of us saw a replay at the park. There were so many distracting things happening - Karros complaining, Maggs running for home, Carlos steaming for second. No one thought it was fair. I remember the ump was straddling the line when the pitch was thrown and it hit him in the right hip, but he had jumped into foul territory to try and avoid it. It was confusing, but we weren't complaining. About time the team caught a break.

The umpire stands on the line. The line in fair territory. The ball hit the umpire. The ball was in fair territory.

Saracen
06-29-2003, 12:47 AM
It dit hit the ground just fair, then smacked into the ump - it was a fair ball, no doubt about it.

Iwritecode
06-29-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Doublem, who has the ML all-time strikeout record and can we expect shamme to eclipse it? thanks

That would be Reggie Jackson. Shammy is currently about 700 k's away. I would expect him to take over first in the next 5-6 years if he continues to average his usual 100+ K's per year...

Iwritecode
06-29-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Okay, sitting in the stands it looked like one of the worst calls in MLB history. The fact that the Sox refused to show the replay only confirmed that fact. Was Carlos' second double fair? The one that tagged the first base ump and score Maggs with the then go ahead run.

We were really confused in the stands. It looked foul to us and Karros barely moved. Fortunately Magglio had no such problems...

I didn't have the greatest angle in the world but it looked like it bounced over the first base bag in fair territory. I'm pretty sure it bounced in fair territory before it hit the ump.

doublem23
06-29-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Tragg

As of now, the MLB career strikeout board is as follows..

1) Reggie Jackson, 2557
2) Andres Galarraga, 1963 (still active)
2) Jose Canseco, 1942
4) Willie Stargell, 1936
5) Sammy Sosa, 1900

At Sammy's present pace, he strikes out once every 3.8020 at bats (7,220 career at bats/1,900 career strike outs). Also, for simplicity's sake, I'm going to say Sammy averages about 3.5 at bats per game (I could figure it out, but **** it... At bats per game is less acurate than plate appearances per game, anyway).

Thus, negating Galarraga's activity (I could figure his averages out but that's more work than really needs to be done), Sammy is on pace to pass the Strikeout Immortals at this rate...

Stargell: 36 to go... 136.872 at bats; rougly 39 games

Canseco: 42 to go... 159.684 at bats; roughly 45 games

Galarraga (currently, of course this is ****ed up because Andres is still playing and while I could figure this, it would be a lot of graphing and equations I really don't feel like playing with at 12:30 on a Sunday morning)... 63 to go... 239.526 at bats, roughly 68.5 games

Jackson: 657 to go... 2,497.914 at bats; roughly 713 games (or 4 1/2 seasons). That is in reach, since that would mean he'd be 37 or 38 if he ever got the chance.

Sosa will probably be #3 by year's end barring more unforseen future injuries/suspensions. Could surpass Galarraga next year since the Big Cat's strikeout pace has slowed and has reduced his strike out total every year for the last 6 seasons (except one)... 1996 = 157, 1997 = 141, 1998 = 146, Did not play in 1999, 2000 = 126, 2001 = 117, 2002 = 81.

Keep K'ing, Sammy. :gulp:

fquaye149
06-29-2003, 03:40 AM
for all the home runs we've had taken away, it's about time we got a call

doublem23
06-29-2003, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
for all the home runs we've had taken away, it's about time we got a call

Oddly enough, the ump that keeps taking away our dingers was the home plate ump.

Weird ****.

Scotty347
06-29-2003, 08:32 AM
My tickets are on the first base line - and I got a good look at the play. It was definitely fair, going over the bag and bouncing before hitting off the ump.

I think the reason it was an odd play, when the ball smacked off the ump, he was taken by suprise and threw his arms up in the air similar to the call for a "foul ball". But as soon as he regained his composure he signaler it was fair. I think thats why it looked like a strange play.

cheeses_h_rice
06-29-2003, 01:34 PM
I was *way* the hell up in the upper deck (row 20, section 510) so of course you couldn't really tell what the call should have been on that play, but man oh man did this Flub fan behind me keep bitching about it the whole game.

You gotta love it!