PDA

View Full Version : Chicago White Sox: 2003 Chicago Baseball Champions


Viva Magglio
06-28-2003, 07:39 PM
Despite everything that has gone wrong so far for us this season, we can claim the outright Chicago baseball championship. While we want another White Sox winner tomorrow, of course, that game is inconsequential in terms of the season series with our North Side neighbors.

Now let's take this swagger and beat MINNESOTA and KANSAS CITY!!!!

WhiteSox = Life
06-28-2003, 07:48 PM
That's awesome, of course, but I'd rather see the title of this thread without the second Chicago.

:)

FarWestChicago
06-28-2003, 07:51 PM
I'm really happy about this. I'm envious of you who get to hear lame excuses from Flubs fans at your place of work Monday. :D:

urbanhack
06-28-2003, 07:54 PM
I'll drink to that! :gulp:

Viva Magglio
06-28-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
That's awesome, of course, but I'd rather see the title of this thread without the second Chicago.

:)

Better yet, I want to see the second Chicago replaced by World.

Bisco Stu
06-28-2003, 08:09 PM
Also, with this win we now have 20 wins in the interleague crosstown series, so that's a cool milestone. 20-15. Hopefully when we hit 30 it'll be 30-15 against the Flubs.

Counting the '06 WS, we are now 24-17 against the Flubs in games that count.

We also have the last WS title, the last pennant, the last Division Title and the last playoff win ('93, Flubs got swept in '98).

ONLY thing the Flubs have on us is more pennants, 10-4.

Lip Man 1
06-28-2003, 08:10 PM
They get a second chance at a sweep tomorrow, let's hope they don't blow it!

Lip

voodoochile
06-28-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
They get a second chance at a sweep tomorrow, let's hope they don't blow it!

Lip

Well, Loaiza is the starter, so I feel pretty good...

Tragg
06-28-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu


ONLY thing the Flubs have on us is more pennants, 10-4.

When did they win 10 pennants? Pre WWI?

Our numbers would be a hell of a lot better if the Yankees were in the national league; we must have finished 2nd to them 10 times.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-28-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
When did they win 10 pennants? Pre WWI?


To quote Al Czervik (Rodney Dangerfield) from Caddyshack:

"Hey doll, you must have been something before electricity!"

:D:

doublem23
06-28-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
When did they win 10 pennants? Pre WWI?

Our numbers would be a hell of a lot better if the Yankees were in the national league; we must have finished 2nd to them 10 times.

1906... Lost to the White Sox
1907... Beat the Tigers
1908... Beat the Tigers
1910... Lost to the Athletics
1918... Lost to the Red Sox (their last)
1929... Lost to the Athletics
1932... Lost to the Yankees
1935... Lost to the Tigers
1938... Lost to the Yankees
1945... Lost to the Tigers

TornLabrum
06-28-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Also, with this win we now have 20 wins in the interleague crosstown series, so that's a cool milestone. 20-15. Hopefully when we hit 30 it'll be 30-15 against the Flubs.

Counting the '06 WS, we are now 24-17 against the Flubs in games that count.

We also have the last WS title, the last pennant, the last Division Title and the last playoff win ('93, Flubs got swept in '98).

ONLY thing the Flubs have on us is more pennants, 10-4.

That's post 1901. In the 19th century the Chicago National League Base Ball Club won NL pennants in 1876, 1880, 1881, 1882, 1885, and 1886. Their total number of pennants is 16.

Also the White Sox won pennants in 1901, 1906, 1917, 1919, and 1959. That's 5.

Thunderstruck30
06-28-2003, 11:38 PM
The Sox win the season series every odd numbered year. They went 2-1 in 97, 4-2 in 99, and 4-2, in 01. Hopefully they will finish 5-1 this year.

Bisco Stu
06-29-2003, 01:05 AM
Ooops, forgot about '01. When you've only got 5 pennants, you don't want to leave any out! Thanks.

I was referring to the World Series era (1903--present).

WhiteSox = Life
06-29-2003, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Ooops, forgot about '01. When you've only got 5 pennants, you don't want to leave any out! Thanks.

I was referring to the World Series era (1903--present).

Actually, if you were referring to the World Series era, it would still be 4, anyway.

:)

T Dog
06-29-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
That's post 1901. In the 19th century the Chicago National League Base Ball Club won NL pennants in 1876, 1880, 1881, 1882, 1885, and 1886. Their total number of pennants is 16.

Also the White Sox won pennants in 1901, 1906, 1917, 1919, and 1959. That's 5.

We could split hairs. According to The American League Story: A Colorful and Exciting History by Lee Allen (Revised, March 1965) he Sox finished first in 1900, but the American League was still classed as a minor league.