PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Day Thread - Saturday, 6-28 Vs. Flubbies

voodoochile
06-28-2003, 01:27 PM
Use this thread for all game related comments. All others will be deleted. The chat room is open.

GO SOX!

lowesox
06-28-2003, 02:51 PM
Has anybody looked at the lineup yet? Harris is batting leadoff. Rowand is hitting second. That's a .195 hitter, followed by a .200 hitter as our 'table setters.' What is Manuel thinking? Sometimes, when I read his lineups I wonder if he thinks that the order the hitters are put into has no importnace.

Tavarin
06-28-2003, 03:02 PM
I think Harris is a good leadoff hitter. The average may not show it, but the energy he brings to the team helps it a lot.

Unregistered
06-28-2003, 03:13 PM
Ugh. Colon looking sharp early...

koch44
06-28-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Has anybody looked at the lineup yet? Harris is batting leadoff. Rowand is hitting second. That's a .195 hitter, followed by a .200 hitter as our 'table setters.' What is Manuel thinking? Sometimes, when I read his lineups I wonder if he thinks that the order the hitters are put into has no importnace.

Tinker, Tinker, Tinker.

Rocklive99
06-28-2003, 03:28 PM
Bah, anyone else thinks those were bad calls on the 'walk' to the Karros?

Tragg
06-28-2003, 03:30 PM
i think there were several close pitches all balls, though; okay if the ump calls those pitches balls all day

Lee could have caught that ball in the air had he tried.

Unregistered
06-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Good AB by Lee. Thomas scores. 3-1 Cruds

Unregistered
06-28-2003, 03:44 PM
VALENTIN! DOUBLE! 3-3 TIE

Unregistered
06-28-2003, 03:46 PM
well, at least Pauly didn't ground out...

spanishwhite
06-28-2003, 03:48 PM
I guess there isn't going to be a pitchers duel today :smile:

valposoxfan
06-28-2003, 03:52 PM
I really hope Bartolo calms down because he looks downright uncomfortable in the early going. Not promising... And could someone put a bullet in Grudzalduoadsoncaks head. He is KILLING us. He hasn't had anything other than solid contact on the ball all series so far.

lowesox
06-28-2003, 04:04 PM
This lineup is killing me. When you go from the bottom of the order to the top we have five weak hitters in a row. (Konerko, Crede, Olivo, Harris, Rowand).

Olivo isn't terrible, but his strength is defense. That's 4 out of 5 hitters batting near the mendosa line. Is it even possible to win with such a batting order handicap?

FarWestChicago
06-28-2003, 04:10 PM
This lineup is killing me. When you go from the bottom of the order to the top we have five weak hitters in a row. (Konerko, Crede, Olivo, Harris, Rowand).

Olivo isn't terrible, but his strength is defense. That's 4 out of 5 hitters batting near the mendosa line. Is it even possible to win with such a batting order handicap? Good question. It sure puts a lot of pressure on the guys who actually know why they have a bat in their hands. :(:

Unregistered
06-28-2003, 04:12 PM
CABALLO! 4-3 SOX

FarWestChicago
06-28-2003, 04:14 PM
Flub Killer II

:caballo

I did my job.

Flub Killer I

:mkillcub

They fear me. :angry:

Unregistered
06-28-2003, 04:15 PM
... and Konerko quickly lines out on the first pitch.

Thanks for coming out today, Pauly. Really.

lowesox
06-28-2003, 04:16 PM
Man I feel bad for Paul Konerko. I like him even though he's struggling. You can tell how intense of a guy he is when you watch him play. I'll bet it kills him to see Jose get intentionally walked, and then to soft line out.

valposoxfan
06-28-2003, 04:17 PM
You gotta love how Bartolo has put the lead off man on in every inning. He doesn't look right...On the other hand, I'm a big fan of two out rallies...GO SOX!!!

Unregistered
06-28-2003, 04:17 PM
Man, they were'nt kidding when they said O'Leary had Colon's number...

Unregistered
06-28-2003, 04:21 PM
61 pitches for Colon through 4... let's get a few more runs before 'ol Jer brings in the bullpen.

valposoxfan
06-28-2003, 04:29 PM
I hope he gets to that whole "cruising" thing soon. That would be nice.

valposoxfan
06-28-2003, 04:37 PM
Bartolo is not looking good guys. I'm kinda concerned.

Unregistered
06-28-2003, 04:40 PM
He's trying to get that outside corner called. Not happening, Bart. Time for a new gameplan...

PaleHoseGeorge
06-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Today is a new low for Paul Konerko. Manuel "benches" him for 2 games, then puts him in the line up BEHIND Valentin, the shortstop, in the #7 slot. What is that? What other firstbasemen in the American League would be given this sort of opportunity/humiliation. That's a lot of OPS we're giving up at first base.

Then they INTENTIONALLY walk Valentin to get to Konerko, who dutifully makes the third out to end the rally on a soft infield liner.

Stop hoping for this guy to come around. It ain't gonna happen.

valposoxfan
06-28-2003, 04:54 PM
I can't watch this. I can just see a DP. This sucks. Why not pinch hit Daubach??

valposoxfan
06-28-2003, 04:54 PM
Or a K...

PaleHoseGeorge
06-28-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Today is a new low for Paul Konerko. Manuel "benches" him for 2 games, then puts him in the line up BEHIND Valentin, the shortstop, in the #7 slot. What is that? What other firstbasemen in the American League would be given this sort of opportunity/humiliation. That's a lot of OPS we're giving up at first base.

Then they INTENTIONALLY walk Valentin to get to Konerko, who dutifully makes the third out to end the rally on a soft infield liner.

Stop hoping for this guy to come around. It ain't gonna happen.

...and now he pops up in the infield with the bases loaded. Omigod, I'm embarrassed for him.

****ing idiot------------>:jerry

FarWestChicago
06-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Then they INTENTIONALLY walk Valentin to get to Konerko, who dutifully makes the third out to end the rally on a soft infield liner.Which intentional walk to get to Konerko? :angry:

:mkillcub

I can't do my thing with an automatic out behind me.

lowesox
06-28-2003, 04:59 PM
Ya, I was screaming at the TV for Daubach there. Betting odds are that Daubach would have come through. But I do see Manuel's side if he was trying to get Konerko going. Didn't work though, so next time I think Daubach should hit.

Daubach has been playing too well to be sitting for a guy who's been playing this poorly.

RKMeibalane
06-28-2003, 04:59 PM
I don't blame Paul Konerko for this. Whatever his problem is, he is doing the best he can out there. Instead, I blame the person stupid enough to give him the start at first base in a crucial game, and we all know who that is...

:jerry

"Why is everyone looking at me?"

RKMeibalane
06-28-2003, 05:07 PM
Colon is out. David Sanders is now entering the game. Bartolo was awful today. Let's hope Sanders can clean up this mess.

lowesox
06-28-2003, 05:08 PM
How has our GM left our bullpen the way it is for this long? I don't trust White or Sanders with a one run lead. Why wouldn't he try bringing out Ginter at least?

Sanders might get better, but I think White is cooked. Open up the flood gates - I think the Cubs are about to blow this one wide open.

propaneman
06-28-2003, 05:12 PM
Aaron throws to 3rd just like a dumb-ass. Now men on 2nd and 3rd and here comes the RICKERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! :angry: :angry: :angry:

lowesox
06-28-2003, 05:15 PM
Does anybody remember a long time ago when we had a guy named Gary Glover who pitched for this team. Personally, I think he had much more potential for consistency then David Sanders and Rick White.

RKMeibalane
06-28-2003, 05:20 PM
6-4 Cubs entering the seventh. If the Sox are going to make a move, the time is now.

RKMeibalane
06-28-2003, 05:21 PM
Does anybody remember a long time ago when we had a guy named Gary Glover who pitched for this team. Personally, I think he had much more potential for consistency then David Sanders and Rick White.

I get the feeling someone in the Sox organization doesn't think too highly of Glover, or he would have been used more than he has. He started enough games last season to prove that he is at least capable of eating innings and bridging the gap between the starters and Koch. There is also the possibility that Manuel has forgotten that he exists.

lowesox
06-28-2003, 05:23 PM
A 'how stupid this lineup is' statistic:

Every player on the sox bench except Alomar has a higher average than the person currently playing their position.

Daubach .245 Konerko .185
Graf .248 Crede .229
Jimenez .255 Harris .198
Rios .234 Rowand .190

That shouldn't happen in a game as important as this one.

xil357
06-28-2003, 05:26 PM
All of those averages are terrible. Do Sox hitters have a collective case of rectal-cranial inversion this season?

lowesox
06-28-2003, 05:29 PM
Ya, it looks like we might finish the season without a .300 hitter.

lowesox
06-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Speaking of batting averages, does anybody think the this team is starting to play better in part because Greg Walker is starting to make a difference with the offense?

He's certainly helped out our clutch hitting.

RKMeibalane
06-28-2003, 05:32 PM
Ya, it looks like we might finish the season without a .300 hitter.

No one is one pace to drive in one hundred runs, either. Offense was supposed to be the strength of this team.

Jjav829
06-28-2003, 05:32 PM

Who? I know of Danny Glover the actor, but who is this Gary you speak of?

Seriously though, just release the guy if he isn't going to be used. Let him get an opportunity elsewhere and bring up Ginter or someone else who you have more confidence in. But to just leave him in the pen and not pitch him for two weeks doesn't help him or the team.

RKMeibalane
06-28-2003, 05:33 PM
Speaking of batting averages, does anybody think the this team is starting to play better in part because Greg Walker is starting to make a difference with the offense?

He's certainly helped out our clutch hitting.

The offense has improved since Walker took over. Makes you wonder why he wasn't brought in to replace Ward before the season even started. However, there are still several players who aren't pulling their weight, and it's keeping the team from really exploding and putting runs on the board consistently.

ndgt10
06-28-2003, 05:51 PM
Some comments....

Willie Harris should not be playing at the major league level. Sure, he plays hard and always runs out his weak hit ground balls to the first baseman, but you know what, most of the posters on this board could do the same. We all thought Borchard was bad when he was here, but honestly, Harris has been worse.

Aaron Rowand: He can lift all the weights he wants, but this isn't the NFL. He can't hit, he makes mental lapses in the field, i.e., today's play where a single to center field turned out to be more like a double for the hitter.

Bullpen: Besides Marte, Gordon, and Koch, does our bullpen consist of any other pitchers that we can rely on in a close game. I don't think so. The only time White, Sanders, and Glover see the game is in mop up duty.

Colon: Is it just me, or does it seem like he always pitches like crap in the crucial games that we MUST win?

valposoxfan
06-28-2003, 06:00 PM
Anyone think the Sox can recover from the lengthy rain delay and maybe take some momentum. We need some clutch hitting real bad. I just have a bad feeling the sixth may be our last good opportunity...White doing his job...

ndgt10
06-28-2003, 06:04 PM
Farnsworth really wears some tight pants....Thomas takes ball 4!

PaleHoseGeorge
06-28-2003, 06:05 PM
With the rain delay, I took time to take a longer look at Manuel's line up. He has two guys (Harris and Rowand) at the top of our order batting beneath .200. Niether of them know how to take a walk, either. Not content to have nothing at the top of the order, Manuel has three virtual automatic outs at the bottom of the order, too.

Given all that, it's a miracle we've scored four runs. The umpire's tight strike zone is the only reason we're still in this game.

freakin' idiot ------->:jerry

ndgt10
06-28-2003, 06:08 PM
That was a Great play by O'leary

ndgt10
06-28-2003, 06:09 PM
and Sosa

LuvSox
06-28-2003, 06:10 PM
Great, something for the Cubbie media to masturbate over.

LuvSox
06-28-2003, 06:14 PM
Not content to have nothing at the top of the order, Manuel has three virtual automatic outs at the bottom of the order, too.

Joe- For- 2- Crede looks pathetic today.

valposoxfan
06-28-2003, 06:16 PM
Why don't you leave Daubach in to pinch hit??? He's a much better hitter than Graffanino. I hate that move. And those catches are going to give the Tribune masturbating material for the next week. Dammit.

Jjav829
06-28-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
Why don't you leave Daubach in to pinch hit??? He's a much better hitter than Graffanino. I hate that move. And those catches are going to give the Tribune masturbating material for the next week. Dammit.

Lets just hope Graf doesnt make a costly mistake at 1B. I agree with the move though. Right handers hit well off of Guthrie.

BTW, those catches were amazing. Too bad. :(:

valposoxfan
06-28-2003, 06:18 PM
I just don't think that this is our day everyone. Frustrating. Just to many things goin the sCrUBS way. Damn. Lead off man on in the top of the eighth...

SoxxoS
06-28-2003, 06:20 PM
Crede is starting to worry me. His swing is back to being L-O-N-G, after only about a 4 game hit streak. He fields the ball well, but has big time problems throwing the damn thing. And, in typical Sox fashion, we have no 3B minor leaguers as backup plans. I don't worry, though, Uncle Jerry will pay the big bucks for a 3B and a SS.

Game saving plays by O'Leary and Sosa pretty much make this game out of reach. Hopefully Wood doesnt have his stuff tomorrow. If he doesn't, it's a 3-3 split after all this crap.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-28-2003, 06:31 PM
Today's line up is so weak, it doesn't even deserve to use the word "line up".

"I call this one my Emaciated Special!"

Harris
Rowand
Thomas
Ordonez
Lee
Valentin
Konerko
Crede
Olivo

It's nothing but skin and bones. It's the baseball equivalent to the Bataan Death March!

I think this game will be remembered as the "Paul Konerko Hits Rock-Bottom" game. He can thank Manuel for setting him up for failure--and embarrassment.

:angry:

JRIG
06-28-2003, 06:40 PM
Now that we're tied, what in the world will be our defensive allignment for the rest of the game?

Valentin at 3B, Jimenez at SS, Harris at 2B and Graff at 1B?

IA_soxfan
06-28-2003, 06:40 PM
AARON "THE BLIND SQUIRREL" ROWAND FINDS A NUT!!!! YESSSSS!
:dinger

SoxxoS
06-28-2003, 06:43 PM
Ill eat it, happily.

valposoxfan
06-28-2003, 06:43 PM
What a HR!!! But good call on the defensive scheme. What the hell do you do??? This should be interesting. And if we win, this would be the ultimate insult to the Cubs if we win with the oddest defense in the history of the franchise... Please let's pull this off....

flo-B-flo
06-28-2003, 06:45 PM
AARON frickin' ROWAND

JRIG
06-28-2003, 06:46 PM
This might be the worst defensive arrangement I can ever remember --

Alomar C, Graff 1B, Harris 2B, Valentin SS, Jimenez 3B, Lee, Rowand, and Ordonez.

Mercy!

Saracen
06-28-2003, 06:49 PM
Nice pick by Graffanino at first.

Jjav829
06-28-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
This might be the worst defensive arrangement I can ever remember --

Alomar C, Graff 1B, Harris 2B, Valentin SS, Jimenez 3B, Lee, Rowand, and Ordonez.

Mercy!

This is giving Manuel ideas.

"I can put Graffy, Harris, Jimenez, AND Valentin all in the same infield? Be-still my heart!"

ndgt10
06-28-2003, 06:54 PM
cruz in..Lets win!

Jjav829
06-28-2003, 06:54 PM
BTW, Aaron Rowand!!! Holy crap! I couldn't even celebrate I was in such shock. I didn't think it was real. How about this time for Maggs to get his first ever walkoff? It was last Saturday BBTN said he is the active leader with most HR's without a walkoff.

Nice pitch Cruz!

flo-B-flo
06-28-2003, 06:56 PM
I just can't shake the feeling of impending doom when he's in the game This has been, yet another good ballgame between the sox and the evil little bear. One to win

ndgt10
06-28-2003, 06:57 PM
Ball 4 cmon lee!

PaleHoseGeorge
06-28-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Ill eat it, happily.

Daver recommends ketchup with crow.

:)

flo-B-flo
06-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Lee putting up a fight.

Jjav829
06-28-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by flo-B-flo
Lee putting up a fight.

Great AB. Too bad he couldn't do more with it. GREAT hustle by Maggs. Sham-ME wasn't expecting it either. Flubs bringing in Remlinger to turn Jose around.

valposoxfan
06-28-2003, 07:09 PM
Jose doesn't come through for us. Damn. I don't feel good with Graffy here. Especially with his history against the Cubs. Never mind. IBB to Graffy. But then it's D'Ang. Let's get ready for extra innings.

Jjav829
06-28-2003, 07:12 PM
D'ANNNNNNGGGEEEELLLLLOOOOO!!!!!

You lazy piece of crap! I love you!!!!!! (at least until tomorrow's game)!!

flo-B-flo
06-28-2003, 07:12 PM
What a game!!!!!

valposoxfan
06-28-2003, 07:13 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!YYEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!SOX WIN!!!!!!

Saracen
06-28-2003, 07:15 PM
SOX WIN! SOX WIN!

PaleHoseGeorge
Thank you. I'll take a double-heapin' servin' of CROW, please.

Ketchup on the side.

Woo hoo!!!

:gulp:

Tavarin
HELL YEAH! Whoever would have thought that Rowand would have tied the game and Jimenez would have won it.

:winner

LuvSox
06-28-2003, 07:16 PM
How do you spell pathetic losers? C-U-B-S!!!! Bwahahahahahahaha

WillieHarris12
06-28-2003, 07:18 PM
Dude I am going streaking!!! WOOOO!

Jjav829
06-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by WillieHarris12
Dude I am going streaking!!! WOOOO!

LOL! Just don't do it at the Cell or Flubs fans will have something to bitch about. :D:

flo-B-flo
06-28-2003, 07:20 PM
Now lets take it to 'fairy' Woods for the sweep.....and then play up to our talent the rest of the year

Rocklive99
06-28-2003, 07:20 PM
WTG DJ!!!! Stick that up Ryan Klesko and the Cub's asses! This redeems himself for me, at least until his next error ;) And thats another series won

hempsox
06-28-2003, 07:25 PM
The winning PTC better be Maggs...

I mean nothing against Rowand but if Maggs doesn't tag up and go to 2nd then there is only him on first and who knows what happens with graffy...2-3 with 3 runs isn't too shabby either.

Way to go Sox!

Jjav829
06-28-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by hempsox
The winning PTC better be Maggs...

I mean nothing against Rowand but if Maggs doesn't tag up and go to 2nd then there is only him on first and who knows what happens with graffy...2-3 with 3 runs isn't too shabby either.

Way to go Sox!

I don't really care who the PTC is since I don't really play anymore and it's not my call, but I would have to agree with you on that. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if Rowand got it. That 2 out, 2-run HR was C-L-U-T-C-H. If he doesn't hit that, I think the Sox might go out 1-2-3 in the 9th.

Viva Magglio
06-28-2003, 07:31 PM
To quote former Loyola basketball and White Sox baseball announcer Red Rush, who is currently enjoying retirement in California:

"WE WON!!! WE WON!!! WE WON THE BALLGAME!!! OHHHH!!! WE WON!!!!!"

I must have had 40 heart attacks during this game. I started following it at the Fire-Metrostars game in Naperville (I had to go to a job fair there and the game was a 2-1 Fire winner in OT) and saw the last few innings here at home. These White Sox have become the Cardiac Sox! They provide me the same feelings of tense excitement that those of us who follow Northwestern football (especially in 1996 and 2001) are all too familiar with. This 7-6 win over the Cubs today ranks just about right up there with that NU 54-51 win over Michigan.

Let's get them tomorrow, White Sox Nation!!!!!

valposoxfan
06-28-2003, 07:39 PM
Unreal. That's the only way to explain it. My dad has acted in ways I've never seen him act before in the last two days. I haven't seen him this excited since the Oakland game in 2000 when Valentin scored on the close play off the Thomas double. Emotional baseball at it's best. I hate to bring it up, but can we do this tomorrow?? And who is going to the game tomorrow? Maybe we can meet up or something.

duke of dorwood
06-28-2003, 08:39 PM
Well we've eaten a lot of bad tasting appetizers before this great tasting meal this past 2 weekends

SoxxoS
06-28-2003, 08:49 PM
E-Lo vs. Wood-

You would EXPECT a 3-2 game. However, as these last two games have told us, expect the unexpected.

I predict an 8-6 Sox win. Loiaza struggles for the first time in a while, but Wood can't find the plate, similar to Colon today. Konerko will get a hit tomorrow, some way. (I mean, even a blind man could get a hit once in a while).