PDA

View Full Version : Play Konerko Sunday Against Wood

chisox56
06-28-2003, 12:26 AM
Konerko was plunked in the head twice last year by him and then hit those homeruns off wood, maybe facing wood will give konerko the spark he needs to start hitting again.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-28-2003, 08:15 AM
Man, don't give him any ideas! :angry:

:jerry
"I remember Paulie telling me once that he used to be a catcher. This would be a great game to give Sandy a rest. I've used him twice already this week, and Paul hits Wood well, or at least gets hit by Wood well, and ... "

:hurt
"Enjoy me while I'm still around, Sox Fans. I'll be playing in L.A. next summer. You'll have Mr. .188 in the line up."

RKMeibalane
06-28-2003, 08:36 AM
If Konerko plays, I will skin Jerry Manuel alive. I'm sick of his constant tinkering. Nothing he does increases this team's chances of winning.

gosox41
06-28-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
If Konerko plays, I will skin Jerry Manuel alive. I'm sick of his constant tinkering. Nothing he does increases this team's chances of winning.

Better get ready to stat skinning, I read that Konerko is likely to play Sunday against Wood. Guess the benching was only for 2 games. Way to manage JM!!!!!

Bob

voodoochile
06-28-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Better get ready to stat skinning, I read that Konerko is likely to play Sunday against Wood. Guess the benching was only for 2 games. Way to manage JM!!!!!

Bob

No, he isn't benched anymore. The benching was announced on Wednesday and he played Thursday. This is just tinkering...

RKMeibalane
06-28-2003, 02:58 PM
It is now time for another one of my rants. This particular tirade is titled, "Jerry Manuel: Consistently Inconsistent."

In April of 2002, the Chicago White Sox were in first place in the American League Central. Kenny Lofton and Ray Durham were both playing well, setting the table for the likes of Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez, and Paul Konerko. The team was scoring runs in bunches, and it seemed as though the Sox were destined to reach the post-season. How did Jerry Manuel respond to this situation?

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

After a blowout loss to the Angels in early May, Jerry decided to alter the lineup. He started by moving Frank Thomas out of the number three spot, dropping him to number five in the order. Magglio took Frank's place, and Paul Konerko moved into the cleanup slot. Ray Durahm was dropped to sixth in order, and was never the same. The Sox offense entered a hibernation trance of some sort, and they took months to recover. When asked by reporters about the lineup changes, Manuel replied, "I do like to tinker. It usually doesn't work though."

Then why the hell did you do those things in first place, Jerry?

By the beginning of June, it was clear all was not well in Sox land. The offense showed up once a week, if that. Magglio Ordonez was bothered by back spasms, and no one was sure which Frank Thomas would show up each night. Manuel decided that struggling shortstop Royce Clayton should be benched, because the team needed more offense in the lineup. When he learned of his benching, Clayton complained, even blaming the fans (where have we seen that before?) for his problems.

What did Manuel do? He put Royce back in the lineup a few days later.

When this season began, many of us at WSI believed that the problems of last season were behind the White Sox. Frank Thomas was primed for a big season, and returning starters Magglio Ordonez and Paul Konerko seemed ready to repeat their success from last season.

What happened?

Thomas has had a good season. Though his numbers could be slightly better, he has been a force in the middle of the lineup. However, Ordonez has been inconsistent, and Paul Konerko has struggled to hit .200. His average currently resides at .188. This after the Sox signed him to a huge contract during the off-season. Fans cried out for changes to made. After all, the team was struggling, and the Twins and Royals had control of the division.

What did Manuel do?

"Zzzzzzzz..."

Konerko remained in the lineup for a long time, even when it became clear that something wasn't right with him. The offense continued to sputter. Things got so bad that Magglio Ordonez, normally a quiet and reserved individual, came out and proclaimed to all who would listen that the Sox "stink."

Finally, Manuel began to make changes to the everyday lineup. In order to prepare for interleage play, Frank Thomas was moved back into the field, taking his rightful place at first base. Since moving there on May 28, Thomas was begun to re-assert himself as one of the best hitters in baseball. However...

...Jerry Manuel couldn't resist his urge to continue screwing around with the lineup. How did he respond to the situation?

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

Thomas was moved back to DH for a Sunday afternoon game against the Padres. Though he has contuned to hit well, many have begun to once again question Manuel's competence. Why would anyone try to mess up a good thing? Apparently, Jerry Manuel would. He has held Thomas out of other games since then, drawing the ire of Sox fans. His decision to sit Thomas against Matt Clement was understandable, yet when Clement faced the Sox again on Friday, Thomas was in the lineup. Hmmm... The situation became more complicated still when Thomas took Clement deep in the sixth inning.

Kerry Wood is scheduled to start Sunday's game. He is another pitcher whom Thomas has not hit well. How will Manuel deal with the situation. I'm not sure I want to know.

Dan H
06-28-2003, 05:17 PM
The minors looks like a good place for Paulie. He came up in the fifth inning against Zambrano with the bases loaded and one out and nailed a 60-foot pop-up on a good pitch to hit. Obviously in that situation he didn't even need a hit. Just some kind of medium fly ball and the game is tied. With the Sox still under .500, they don't have time for Konerko to figure out what is wrong in big league game situations. It's time for a demotion and get his head back on straight. And the Sox need him. There's nothing but rally killers in the bottom of that order.

soxrme
06-28-2003, 06:09 PM
I agree, Konerko should be in the minors. Lets see, oh yeah, he is in today because of the lefty- righty thing, no Zambrano is righty. Maybe hi is in because of his clutch hits, yeah right. JM you suck.

SoxxoS
06-28-2003, 06:21 PM
The one time Jerry SHOULD use the lefty/righty matchup situation with Daubach pinch hitting for Konerko against Zambrano, he doesn't do it. Typical.

duke of dorwood
06-28-2003, 08:42 PM

No, you see I had to use Daubach in a spot where he didnt even get to bat, brilliant huh?

duke of dorwood
06-28-2003, 08:43 PM
:walnuts

I miss the daily batting tips from the Choice, doesnt anyone see that?

Beavis
06-28-2003, 08:46 PM
Maybe he'll get hit in the head really hard. He's brutal.

After today's performance, he won't see the lineup for a while.

voodoochile
06-28-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Beavis
Maybe he'll get hit in the head really hard. He's brutal.

After today's performance, he won't see the lineup for a while.

Yeah, right...

"The fact that Paulie isn't hitting means he is sure to break out of it anyday now..."