PDA

View Full Version : Robbie Alomar?

A.T. Money
06-27-2003, 11:52 PM
Bruce Levine was talking to Dave Wills about Robbie Alomar possibly becoming available via trade, and the Sox may have a shot.

My question is, would you go for him?

Sure he's older, but he's still a great hitter, and an outstanding infielder. Having Colon, Sandy, and Robbie all on the same team again could seriously put some extra spark into this team. And having Robbie in the 2 slot in the lineup is a major threat.

Anyone else think this whole Alomar thing is interesting?

doublem23
06-27-2003, 11:57 PM
The Mets better pick up a big chunk of his contract and he better come for near nothing (Aaron Miles, anyone?)

There are better options. And there are worse.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-28-2003, 01:49 AM
I hope we get him, maybe a move back to the AL will do him good, besides he would be a defensive upgrade over Jimenez.

RedPinStripes
06-28-2003, 09:16 AM
I'm not a fan of Robby, but i'd take him in a heart beat. Best defense you can get at 2b and he was a lot better when on the same roster with his bro. They can have jiminez and Miles. If there's 1 guy on this team i'm really starting to not like it's Jiminez. One of thedumbest ball players i've ever seen.

RKMeibalane
06-28-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I'm not a fan of Robby, but i'd take him in a heart beat. Best defense you can get at 2b and he was a lot better when on the same roster with his bro. They can have jiminez and Miles. If there's 1 guy on this team i'm really starting to not like it's Jiminez. One of thedumbest ball players i've ever seen.

Agreed. Jimenez makes Carlos Lee look like a genius when it comes to executing the fundamnetals of baseball. The man just doesn't know how the play the game properly.

MHOUSE
06-28-2003, 10:39 AM
I don't know if I would give up Miles. What other 2nd base prospects do we have? How old is Alomar? He would have to be resigned at the end of the season IIRC. I don't want KW overpaying and then tying him up to a huge contract that's unwarranted. But anything is better than Jimenez who is quickly becoming another "Choice".

MRKARNO
06-28-2003, 10:48 AM
First of all, robbie alomar is in his contract year and so far it looks like his contract will be far less expensive next year than the 8 mil he's getting this year (for comparison Bartolo COlon gets 8 mil as well). I dont see KW doing this unless the Mets pick up a lot of the salary. And I also hear that Aaron Miles is not a prospect, but a supposed Career minor leaguer according to a WSI source

kevingrt
06-28-2003, 10:51 AM
I hope we get Robbie Alomar. Isn't he related to Sandy too? He would get to rock his former Tribe too.

He is still a solid 2B and I think would get much better with a new sceanery.

gosox41
06-28-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Bruce Levine was talking to Dave Wills about Robbie Alomar possibly becoming available via trade, and the Sox may have a shot.

My question is, would you go for him?

Sure he's older, but he's still a great hitter, and an outstanding infielder. Having Colon, Sandy, and Robbie all on the same team again could seriously put some extra spark into this team. And having Robbie in the 2 slot in the lineup is a major threat.

Anyone else think this whole Alomar thing is interesting?

He's not hitting much this year. I think he has a lower OPS then D'Angelo. He doesn't steal bases as much. Also, I read somehwere that he appears "disinterested" in baseball.

Bob

Tragg
06-28-2003, 11:26 AM
ONe of the reasons we're in the fix we're in is because we have wasted too much time, effort, prospects, money and whatever getting crappy veteran stopgaps.

Goodness, I remember the cries for Kenny Rogers, EEK - a career mediocrity kenny rogers - at the beginning of the year.

Man I'll take my chances with some holes on the team, rather than wasting precious dollars and talent aquiring marginal temporary fillers.

If Kenny wants to make a legitimate trade for a legitimate baseball player - wonderful. But to suggest that we chase the alomars and loftons to win a pennant guarantees not only no pennant, but helps to ensure we don't win one ever.

kevingrt
06-28-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
ONe of the reasons we're in the fix we're in is because we have wasted too much time, effort, prospects, money and whatever getting crappy veteran stopgaps.

Goodness, I remember the cries for Kenny Rogers, EEK - a career mediocrity kenny rogers - at the beginning of the year.

Man I'll take my chances with some holes on the team, rather than wasting precious dollars and talent aquiring marginal temporary fillers.

If Kenny wants to make a legitimate trade for a legitimate baseball player - wonderful. But to suggest that we chase the alomars and loftons to win a pennant guarantees not only no pennant, but helps to ensure we don't win one ever.

Alomar is a hall of famer, right?

gosox41
06-28-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

:KW
When I make one of my infamous big trades I like certain characteristics: big name veterans on the downside of their careers, guys 2 years removed off the waiver wire that I can overpay for, or overrated closers that have been overused and have lost their fastball.

Bob

lowesox
06-28-2003, 01:53 PM
I watched Alomar play quite a bit when he was with the blue jays, and even though he may not still be that player, he'd be a great acquisition for this team. The best thing about Alomar is that he knows how to win. He's a clutch hitter and he plays good defense. I think he'd rebound a bit as well by returning to the AL.

fquaye149
06-28-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Alomar is a hall of famer, right?

no, but only cuz of his actions with the mets

A.T. Money
06-29-2003, 01:29 AM
Alomar is disinterested because he's stuck with the Mutts. I think he'd prefer to be back in the AL, and reunite with Sandy and Bartolo. I'm sure the White Sox would be attractive to him if he was asked.

Anyone remember when Robbie Alomar was jawing at Graffanino?

MRKARNO
06-29-2003, 07:15 AM
I think playing with Sandy would really help Roberto turn full circle