PDA

View Full Version : Are the Twinkies Through?

voodoochile
06-27-2003, 10:51 PM
13-1 BrewCrew tonight and the Tinkies played like crap. I'm wondering if the Sox winning the series messed them up. Beating the Sox was their mountain. Now the mountain has fallen on them and they seem to be having a hard time getting up...

Konerkoholic
06-27-2003, 10:51 PM
Twins about to lose big to the lowly Brewers- that team sucks. No way they're winning this division.

EDIT: Thanks for moving this post. I was feeling like an idiot when I saw you beat me too it.

WinningUgly!
06-27-2003, 10:54 PM
They've lost 10 out of their last 13 games. I love it! :D:

RKMeibalane
06-27-2003, 10:56 PM
The American League Central race is by no means over with. The Sox have an excellent chance to move to the top of the division, but they have to act quickly. The Twins have struggled for the better part of the past month. The Royals are playing good baseball, but they have been streaky the entire season. They will probably fall back to Earth sooner or later. The question is, can the Sox capitalize on this opportunity?

:jerry

"Of course we can! I just came up with a new lineup I'm going to try out. What do you think of Konerko leading off?"

:hurt

"When this season is over, I am relocating to the West Coast."

1951Campbell
06-27-2003, 11:02 PM
The teams in our division suck. No one's out of it.

T Dog
06-27-2003, 11:03 PM
Unfortunately, the Brewers on Saturday are going with Burba, who apparently is still alive, and on Sunday it will be Ford, who got beat up by the Cubs this week. It's too bad the Twins won't face Sheets again.

The Burba-Rogers matchup might have been a good one late in the last century.

fquaye149
06-27-2003, 11:17 PM
make sure you punks knock on wood thoroughly

kevingrt
06-27-2003, 11:20 PM
It would sure be nice to be more worried about the Royals then Twinkies and playing at Kauffman rather then the Twinkie Dome.

Plus to end the year we have 4 in a row at Kansas City.

ChiSox14305635
06-27-2003, 11:39 PM
I'm sure as hell not ready to write them off yet. But a sweep or a series win will put me at ease.

ma-gaga
06-28-2003, 12:12 AM
No, they ain't thru, but man, they look like crap. This is the time for other teams to make their move on them. I don't understand how they can play so well on the road, then get hammered at home.

Their pitching is bad, but their offense is really in a funk. They brought up a couple of kids and I think it's affecting the team. They let Ortiz go so LeCroy can get his chance, and they are insisting on letting 'the future' (Morneau) hit at the DH spot. Jacque Jones has reverted to his 'swing at everything' approach. It might work against Billy Koch, but most other pitchers just throw it a little low, and he swings around like a top... Free Bobby Kielty got hurt, and hasn't hit the ball in a month.

They finally are sitting Luis Rivas, but the team is losing with him on the bench. It's the same as what was happening to the Sox about a month ago, the team is in a hitting funk and hasn't broken out. Koskie is the only constant hitter on the team right now. Mientkiewicz is hitting 0.308, and is playing uber-utility infielder. He's logged an inning at 2nd base, and tonight played an inning at 3rd base.

We'll see how it goes. They should heat up again. They should send back down Morneau or platoon the kid. He doesn't deserve the full-time DH spot, nor is he good enough to take away defensive innings from Mientkiewicz at first. Kielty needs playing time, and LeCroy needs playing time.

They almost have "too much talent" (I know, debateable) and not enough playing time for them. I am starting to believe that the more you play a guy, the better he gets. We're seeing that with F.Thomas, and I'm seeing the opposite side with Kielty and LeCroy.

Pitching wise, I think they are ok. Not fantastic, their bullpen is still pretty good, and their starting pitching is inconsistant. They'll get a good game from Reed, then watch Lohse struggle. Then see the opposite the next week.

Bottom line, they're struggling badly, yet they are still above 0.500. If they can play a little more consistantly, they'll be tough to beat, they have so much depth. It really shows how little difference there is between winning and losing in this league.

Procol Harum
06-28-2003, 12:27 AM
Here's hopin'!!

Seriously, they seem to have hit a real rough streak of late--I just hope that it will last through their visit to the Cell this week. However, I think they are too fundamentally sound and have too good of a bullpen to somehow plummet out of the race in this sorry-buttocked division. And I can't see either the Sox or KC rising up and zooming away on everybody else. I'm just glad that the Sox have finally shown enough life that we can actually start mulling over the possibility of doing something this year.

:reinsy
"Man, our recent signs of life have really disrupted my plans for our August cash flow."

spanishwhite
06-28-2003, 01:07 AM
All I have to say is that the Brewers have
had the same opponents over the last
seven games that we have had.

Brewers record: 5-2

Sox record: 5-2

Take the recent success for what it is worth.

A.T. Money
06-28-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
All I have to say is that the Brewers have
had the same opponents over the last
seven games that we have had.

Brewers record: 5-2

Sox record: 5-2

Take the recent success for what it is worth.

OK I will.

Twins8791
06-28-2003, 04:27 AM
Absolutely. In the second half of the season, which starts next week, they have 48 games against Cleveland, Detroit, Baltimore and Texas. They will go 0 for 48.

I want World Series tickets again. Sox season ticket holders, keep me in mind when they are printed. If you can't go, I'll take them off your hands.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-28-2003, 09:23 AM
If the Twins are through (and Pohlad is doing his level-best to deflate everybody on his own team, so don't be surprised if they are), then the Sox season is definitely NOT over. The race will be between K.C. and our guys. We've got at least a 50/50 shot in that one.

Gardenhire has everyone brainwashed that the Minnesota Mongrels are the little engine that could. With Pohlad making it clear he isn't spending a dime on his team, even idiots like Pierzydkdldjdki and Mienkijfidjjiz won't be able to keep up the charade much longer.

Gee, it couldn't happen to nicer bunch of whiners.

:gulp:

T Dog
06-28-2003, 09:49 AM
During last night's Brewers telecast, the announcers were talking about the Twinks being in disarray. Apparently the local paper had a story about management getting on the players, claiming the team gave up against the Sox Thursday. A couple of players suggested viewing the game video to see just how well MB was pitching.

In game action, a single that squirted past the Twinks' second baseman on that plastic infield also squirted under the rightfielder's glove. The Twinks dropped a fly ball, ruled a double, and a pop up that the shortstop allowed to drop in front of the leftlfielder went for a hit. The Twinks last night looked like the White Sox during their worst games in the Metrodome.

voodoochile
07-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Okay, now what does everyone think?

:bandance:

Kilroy
07-02-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Okay, now what does everyone think?

I think we better enjoy this for a couple days and get ready to whup ass down at the juice-box. And as for the twins being done?

Recognize: the reason we hate them so much is because they are good. If they sucked, we wouldn't give them a second thought. They were missing Jacque Jones also. The next time we see them, we better not be cocky or we'll get bitch-slapped.

spanishwhite
07-02-2003, 11:06 PM
it doesn't matter if they are through or at full throttle.

The way this team is playing, it is going to be real tough
to take the division.

Go SoX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

voodoochile
07-02-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
I think we better enjoy this for a couple days and get ready to whup ass down at the juice-box. And as for the twins being done?

Recognize: the reason we hate them so much is because they are good. If they sucked, we wouldn't give them a second thought. They were missing Jacque Jones also. The next time we see them, we better not be cocky or we'll get bitch-slapped.

It isn't a question of whether they are good or not, it is whether they still have their mojo. I think their talent level is not what it was cracked up to be, especially in the starting pitching. Now they are starting to see cracks in their armor as the Sox take 5/6 from them over the last week and that could easily have been 6/6.

Just last week, the Twins won a very similar game as tonight. They have to be starting to wonder if they have enough to get it done. Now they see the Sox acquiring veteran all-stars who know how to play in a pennant race. They already don't like the owner and have been whining about salary and other things. I wouldn't be surprised to see them White Flag it later this summer. Pohlad won't care in the slightest what the fans think of him and if he can get the franchise torn down low enough attendance wise, he can get his payoff in a few years...

T Dog
07-02-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
...Recognize: the reason we hate them so much is because they are good. If they sucked, we wouldn't give them a second thought. They were missing Jacque Jones also. The next time we see them, we better not be cocky or we'll get bitch-slapped.

Winning five of six from the Twinks over two weeks should have made a statement. Minnesota might have felt good about the way they won their only game if it weren't for the way the Sox won tonight. Coupled with a split against the Brewers, the Twinks have to be feeling mortal.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-02-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by T Dog
Winning five of six from the Twinks over two weeks should have made a statement. Minnesota might have felt good about the way they won their only game if it weren't for the way the Sox won tonight. Coupled with a split against the Brewers, the Twinks have to be feeling mortal.

The swagger is missing. They can thank Pohlad for taking the wind out of their sails, too. As a Sox Fan I say to Twins fans, "Tough ****."

I only wish "Big Top" Lohse had taken the loss. There are so many guys on that team who rub me the wrong way and they've all taken a beating the past two weeks. Big Top got off easy.

SWEEP!!!

:notwinks

delben91
07-03-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

SWEEP!!!

:notwinks

Oh how I love seeing that word. I got dragged to Legally Blonde 2 last night (ended up being half-decent) but when I got back, the sox were down 6-5 in the bottom of the 11th. I went to bed and when I woke up today I thought to myself "how sweet would it be if the Sox pulled it off last night....nah, don't get your hopes up." I open the sports page, and I see 8-6 White Sox in 12 and I go "holy ****!"

Way to go Sox, you're restoring my faith bit by bit, keep it up in Tampa Bay!