PDA

View Full Version : Enjoy the day!

soxrme
06-27-2003, 08:02 PM
Hey guys lay off JM, KW, DJ, Gordon & Koch. ENJOY THE DAY :gulp: :gulp: Corky leaves 8 men on base, the rest of them leave 15 more and WE WIN on a gorgeous day in Chicago. Colon tomorrow and our ace on Sunday. GO SOX SWEEP.
Wish I could have been there, the crowd was rocking and the park looked great. (probably no mention of that tomorrow. Going Sunday can't wait.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-27-2003, 08:09 PM
Hey, what happened to that dominant pitcher over our Sox Matt Clement was suppose to be?

:gulp:

voodoochile
06-27-2003, 08:11 PM
Yeah, it was a fun game to go to. My flubbie fan buddy was an hour late, so we missed the first 3.5 innings, but it worked out okay. Got to enjoy those big swings by ShamME on ball 4 with the bases loaded. Got to wear my new Frank Thomas Jersey to the park - the first time he batted after I got there, he hit the homerun that tied the game...

Anyway, thought I'd put this up again, because it seemed so damned fitting after today's big swingin' show by ShamME...

ShamME at the Bat
(2002)
By VoodooChile
With apologies to Ernest Thayer

The outlook wasn't brilliant for the Flubbie nine that day;
The score stood five to four with but one inning more to play.
But when A-gone lead off with a hit Joe bunted him to third;
The Flubbie faithful all jumped up and made their voices heard.

A couple of the Sox fans hung their head in fear
Worried that all the hard work would slide away in tears;
They wondered why Coach Jerry had left Osuna in—
Why not use Keith Foulke to ensure the win.

But Osuna popped up C-Pat and everything looked good,
But Mueller fought off pitch and pitch with his Flubbie wood;
The final pitch it sailed wide and Bill he took a walk,
And now the Flubbie faithful all began to squawk.

For now approaching home with steroid bulked up arms,
Strode the mighty ShamME looking to do harm.
The fans began to chant and ShamME slowly smiled,
He tapped the plate in front of him – The Flubbie crowd went wild.

There was ease in ShamME’s manner as he stepped into his place;
There was pride in ShamME’s bearing and a smile on ShamME's face.
And when, responding to the cheers, he tapped his swollen chest,
No Sox fan in the crowd could doubt 'twas steroids at their best.

80 thousand eyeballs watched him as he rubbed his hands with dirt;
10 thousand flubs fans yelled when he wiped them on his shirt.
Then while the tired pitcher ground the ball into his hip,
Zingers gleamed in ShamME's eye; a smile curled ShamME's lip.

And now the leather-covered sphere came hurtling through the air,
And ShamME stood a-watching it in haughty grandeur there.
Close by the pumped up batsman so close unto his head--
"Watch my pretty face," said ShamME. "Ball one," the umpire said.

Now two more times the ball went by and ShamME had not swung.
The count was 3 and 0 and the Sox fans all went dumb.
“Please don’t walk the bases full,” the faithful they implored
But not to worry Sox fans that’s not what ShamME’s for.

A smile of haughty ease on ShamME's face arose;
He knew that he’d be swinging at any pitch e’en close;
He signaled for the pitch, and again the spheroid hummed;
And ShamME cut the air – the umpire said “Strike One."

"Yeah!" cried the crazy flubs fans, “Hit a 3 run shot”;
ShamME tapped the plate and once more tapped his heart.
They saw his face light up with joy and now the baseball flew,
ShamME cut a mighty stroke – the umpire said, “Strike Two.”

“Ohmigawd did you see that?” The Flubbie faithful screamed.
“If he had only hit it, the baseball would be creamed.”
The Sox fans clapped their hands and screamed their voice as one
Knowing ShamME’s pride would make the ending fun.

The smile is splitting ShamME's face as he steps to meet his fate;
He taps with cautious tenderness his bat upon the plate.
And now the pitcher holds the ball, and now he lets it go,
And now the air is shattered by the force of ShamME's blow.

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
And all those fans are Sox fans – mighty ShamME has struck out.

Epilogue:

Later in the dugout ShamME smiled and pranced
The TV cameras buzzed and ShamME did his dance
“It’s not about the winning, that’s what I’ve always said,
I need to hit a zinger to feed my swollen head.”

Jurr
06-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Best post I've read in a loooong time.

kevingrt
06-27-2003, 08:55 PM
I agree lets all lay off everyone and be happy for a sweep this weekend!!! :gulp:

duke of dorwood
06-27-2003, 09:39 PM
Walking to the train after the game from work, I had my WSI T shirt on-caught some thumbs up from happy sox fans in the loop.

Brian26
06-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Who went to the game? Greatest White Sox experience ever at Comiskey. After the game, the entire concourse was singing " Jose Jose Jose Jose, Jose Jose". Felt like we had just won the 7th game of the World Series. What a party. AWESOME GAME with an awesome ending.

sox_fan_forever
06-27-2003, 09:54 PM
I was there! Man, that was awesome. We got stuck in traffic and missed the first couple of innings, but at least I was there for all the exciting stuff. :gulp:

FarWestChicago
06-27-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Who went to the game? Greatest White Sox experience ever at Comiskey. After the game, the entire concourse was singing " Jose Jose Jose Jose, Jose Jose". Felt like we had just won the 7th game of the World Series. What a party. AWESOME GAME with an awesome ending. Was anybody at the Carlos Walk Off last year and this one? I would love to know how those experiences compared. I was having a heart attack over at Ode to Veecks's for last years WO. This one I only saw a report on Yahoo right after it happened (I can't believe I was expected to work :o: ). I still went nuts when I saw it. :cool:

:mkillcub

I thought you might like that!

voodoochile
06-27-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Who went to the game? Greatest White Sox experience ever at Comiskey. After the game, the entire concourse was singing " Jose Jose Jose Jose, Jose Jose". Felt like we had just won the 7th game of the World Series. What a party. AWESOME GAME with an awesome ending.

The funny thing for me was when Carlos Lee led off the ninth. My flubbie fan buddy says, "No, it's not going to happen." I play dumb, "What's not going to happen?" This is after I reminded him of Carlos Lee's Grand Slam heroics immediately after his solo shot in the 7th. He already knew who Carlos was. So, anyway, he refuses to say what I so badly want him to say, "Carlos isn't going to hit a homerun." I just want him to say Carlos and homerun in the same sentence. But, he refuses. Then after Carlos strikes out, manos comes up and does the dirty deed. I had a very good time telling him how right he was about Carlos not hitting the walkoff homer...

Brian26
06-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Like I said, best experience ever at Comiskey. We had to make the long walk down the ramps from the upperdeck like we were cattle. The entire crowd, though, was singing the "Jose" song. It was so classic it almost can't even be put into words. It's so cool to see total strangers bond like that. It wasn't just a couple of verses either. The song went on for like 20 minutes. Unbelievable. People just basically congregated outside the bathrooms on the ud concourse and sang the song and high-fived. Total euphoria. Awesome ending to the game.

pearso66
06-28-2003, 01:04 AM
Great game. I was there. I gotta say, Cubs fans are entertaining to sit next to. These guys behind us were talking all day about how great the cubs were. And then in the 9th, sammy hit his, they were going crazy, thinking it was gone. but of course it fell short. I just wish I had watched him do the hop instead of the flight of the ball, it would have made it that much better. but the 2 strikeouts with bases loaded and 1 out were great to see.

And to show the "Great" knowledge of Cubs fans, the guys behind us in the 9th when Lee was up says, "send him back to mexico." at least get your facts straight when you heckle the cubs killer.

Thunderstruck30
06-28-2003, 01:16 AM
I was at the game and after it ended I was walking down the steps of the upper deck. The guy in front of me had a Sosa jersey on and all of a sudden a cup half full of beer flew from behind me and hit the wall, barely missing the Sosa fan. Both Sosa and his fans felt the heat at the game today. I also heard those guys singing "JOSE JOSE JOSE JOSE". That was a great moment.

:corker

FJA
06-28-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Was anybody at the Carlos Walk Off last year and this one? I would love to know how those experiences compared. I was having a heart attack over at Ode to Veecks's for last years WO. This one I only saw a report on Yahoo right after it happened (I can't believe I was expected to work :o: ). I still went nuts when I saw it. :cool:

:mkillcub

I thought you might like that!

I was at both, and as great as this one was, I don't think anything short of the World Series will ever compare to Carlos' walk-off.

FarWestChicago
06-28-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by FJA
I was at both, and as great as this one was, I don't think anything short of the World Series will ever compare to Carlos' walk-off. That was quite the moment. :)

Michelle
06-28-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
This one I only saw a report on Yahoo right after it happened (I can't believe I was expected to work :o: ).
Are you trying to say you work during the day? :D:

/runs away quickly

FarWestChicago
06-28-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Michelle
Are you trying to say you work during the day? :D:

/runs away quickly Hey!! Don't be spreading any rumors!! :o: