PDA

View Full Version : Nothing Jerry can do is right, huh?

Jurr
06-27-2003, 06:32 PM
Jerry can't hit for his team. He can't pitch for his team. He can only serve as a motivator for his club...someone to get them going. When the team doesn't play for the coach, then you've got a problem.
Managing is pretty cut and dried. Years of baseball have produced about every situation, and there's a normal chain of events that happens for that situation. The thing is, most decisions that a manager makes in a game are scripted, obvious choices. They are so obvious that the armchair manager easily thinks he knows what is the right choice to make.
What I'm getting at is as long as the Sox are winning and playing hard for the guy, LEAVE JERRY ALONE! I heard some jackass on the radio knock Jerry for leaving Gordon in during the 9th. Most people around Chicago were asking for Jerry not to put Koch in, but to leave the hot hand (Gordon) in the game. "He's been lights out" people were saying. However, if Jerry kept Gordon in the game and he shut the Cubs out 1-2-3, or if Koch came in and gave up a grand slam, Jerry was an idiot either way. It's so easy to knock a decision after the fact. Any MORON can do that.
Yes, the tinkering with the lineup thing has been a big nuisance, but I guess he's just trying to find a lineup that can produce. This team was playing dead for a while, and Jerry should have been canned if that continued. But, it seems like the boys are on the same page, fighting hard, and are winning games.
Sox fans are supposedly some of the most knowledgable fans in baseball, yet I hear the same juvenile comments every day about ways to knock or second guess a guy THAT OBVIOUSLY MUST KNOW WHAT HE'S DOING ENOUGH TO STILL BE WITH THE CLUB. You were all on his jock when he was manager of the year in 2000. As long as our boys play hard, leave the guy alone.
I'm tired of seeing, "We won in spite of our Jerry's stupidity" and comments like that. Any decision he makes will not suffice for some of you people. If one of his decisions backfire, one of you armchair managers will easily say, "Yeah...that was an obvious screw-up". It's so easy when the game's over and the outcome has been established. Grow up!
I know that as fans, it's easy to get frustrated, and that frustration can lead to a total blacklisting of the manager...no matter what he does is right. There shouldn't be that kind of blind retarded antagonizing going on with this group of fans. We know our baseball, and should be behind this team.
Yes, we see Cubs fans with their eternal muted smiles every day. They don't get mad about losing because they don't know what the score is half the time. We have been known to be some mean, cynical fans that sweat bullets over baseball. That doesn't mean that the fans have to be overanalytical schmucks ALL THE TIME. The point is that Jerry Manuel is a professional manager, much like doctors, dentists, and other professionals. The general public doesn't go second guessing their surgeons because they really don't know quite enough about the subject to comment. Maybe Jerry is a little more educated than we think, and maybe we should let him do his job.

Jurr
06-27-2003, 06:34 PM
I wanted to end this by saying I AM NOT IN THE JERRY MANUEL FAN CLUB. I don't think he's the best guy for the job. But, I am tired of seeing the ridiculous second guessing going on ALL THE TIME. The fact of the matter is we're winning again, and that should be what matters right now. You could be Tigers fans.

voodoochile
06-27-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Jurr
Jerry can't hit for his team. He can't pitch for his team. He can only serve as a motivator for his club...someone to get them going. When the team doesn't play for the coach, then you've got a problem.
Managing is pretty cut and dried. Years of baseball have produced about every situation, and there's a normal chain of events that happens for that situation. The thing is, most decisions that a manager makes in a game are scripted, obvious choices. They are so obvious that the armchair manager easily thinks he knows what is the right choice to make.
What I'm getting at is as long as the Sox are winning and playing hard for the guy, LEAVE JERRY ALONE! I heard some jackass on the radio knock Jerry for leaving Gordon in during the 9th. Most people around Chicago were asking for Jerry not to put Koch in, but to leave the hot hand (Gordon) in the game. "He's been lights out" people were saying. However, if Jerry kept Gordon in the game and he shut the Cubs out 1-2-3, or if Koch came in and gave up a grand slam, Jerry was an idiot either way. It's so easy to knock a decision after the fact. Any MORON can do that.
Yes, the tinkering with the lineup thing has been a big nuisance, but I guess he's just trying to find a lineup that can produce. This team was playing dead for a while, and Jerry should have been canned if that continued. But, it seems like the boys are on the same page, fighting hard, and are winning games.
Sox fans are supposedly some of the most knowledgable fans in baseball, yet I hear the same juvenile comments every day about ways to knock or second guess a guy THAT OBVIOUSLY MUST KNOW WHAT HE'S DOING ENOUGH TO STILL BE WITH THE CLUB. You were all on his jock when he was manager of the year in 2000. As long as our boys play hard, leave the guy alone.
I'm tired of seeing, "We won in spite of our Jerry's stupidity" and comments like that. Any decision he makes will not suffice for some of you people. If one of his decisions backfire, one of you armchair managers will easily say, "Yeah...that was an obvious screw-up". It's so easy when the game's over and the outcome has been established. Grow up!
I know that as fans, it's easy to get frustrated, and that frustration can lead to a total blacklisting of the manager...no matter what he does is right. There shouldn't be that kind of blind retarded antagonizing going on with this group of fans. We know our baseball, and should be behind this team.
Yes, we see Cubs fans with their eternal muted smiles every day. They don't get mad about losing because they don't know what the score is half the time. We have been known to be some mean, cynical fans that sweat bullets over baseball. That doesn't mean that the fans have to be overanalytical schmucks ALL THE TIME. The point is that Jerry Manuel is a professional manager, much like doctors, dentists, and other professionals. The general public doesn't go second guessing their surgeons because they really don't know quite enough about the subject to comment. Maybe Jerry is a little more educated than we think, and maybe we should let him do his job.

No, Jerry gets ripped for waiting too damn long to bring Koch in. He should have been in after the first hit. Why does he wait until the tie is all but assured and THEN make the switch.

He should be fired for being unlucky. He should also be fired because he says one thing and does another ALL THE TIME. He should be fired for benching Frank Thomas 3 times a week. He should be fired for stupid double switches which only are done to show he is alive. He should be fired for sticking with Nardi so long. He should be fired for batting Harris leadoff - and using lots of other players in certain roles because they seem to fit the profie - regardless of how they play. He should be fired because he cannot make a move without watching it blow up in his face.

I'll say it again. The Sox win despite Jerry Manuel, never - or rarely - because of him.

I agree. Jerry Manuel knows more about how to manage a MLB squad than 99.99% of the people in America. Unfortunately, that means there are 25,000 people (or so) who can do the job better. Pick one, any one. This joker needs to be put back in the deck...

Paulwny
06-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Bill Veeck quote : "You could find 100 fans in the stands on any given day who could call the right strategy at the right time with the exact degree of accuracy as the manager".

voodoochile
06-27-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Bill Veeck quote : "You could find 100 fans in the stands on any given day who could call the right strategy at the right time with the exact degree of accuracy as the manager".

And in Jerry's case, probably more...

MHOUSE
06-27-2003, 09:16 PM
Jerry tried his best to blow this game. I could not believe it when he left Flash in for the 9th with Koch ready and waiting. Not only that, but he lets Flash load the bases before going to Koch. Can he make life any harder for Billy? He has struggled mightily on his own, so why give him a bases loaded no outs situation to get out of? I don't understand it and I was sooo pissed. :angry: Jerry needs to give Jose a double scoop of ice cream because had we lost this one it was all on him. Luckily for Jer beating the Flubs in dramatic fashion overshadows a very poor managing performance.

RKMeibalane
06-27-2003, 09:27 PM
I know this much. If I were the manager of the Chicago White Sox, the following changes would happen in short order:

1. Any player guilty of a serious mental mistake during the course of a baseball game would be fined an undisclosed amount and forced to run wind sprints during workouts. Any further mistakes would result in the player's being benched.

I do not blame players for physical errors or mistakes. If a player is not able to score from first base on a double to left-center because he does not run well, I will not hold that against him. Everyone has physical limitations of some sort. That's life. However, if a player did not score from first on a double because he was not paying attetion, then he would be deserving of punishment. The same holds true for any other mental errors or mistakes. Players must be held accountable for their wrong doings.

2. Once a starting lineup was established, it would be used for several games in order to determine if players are comfortable in their respective roles. There would be little, if any, tinkering.

Jerry Manuel has admitted on more than one occasion that he "likes to tinker." His constant lineup manipulations have, however, left many of his players frustrated and confused. No one knows what Manuel will do next. He continues to give players such as Willie Harris countless at-bats, but then decides to bench the team's best hitter twice in the span of one week. Where is the logic in such a move. (By the way, the same player who was benched last week hit a homerun off the pitcher he had supposedly struggled against.)

3. Players would be evaluated on a month-by-month basis. If a player was not producing, steps would be taken to ensure that his performance would improve. The player would be given every opportunity to succeed; however, it would be made clear that the team requires players who can contribute nightly, so a slumping player would be faced with a benching until he could return to form.

There is little use in beating a dead horse. If a player were struggling, I would at least consider benching him for a fairly long period of time in order give him a chance to get himself straightened out. Once the player was determined ready for game action, I would use him in low-pressure situations, where he could focus on simply doing the basics. No one would be placed in situation where he would probably fail miserably.

duke of dorwood
06-27-2003, 09:27 PM
He has the instincts of a Jiminez-we will lose more close games than win as long as he's manager. We have 6 years to base this feeling on.

gosox41
06-28-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Jurr
I wanted to end this by saying I AM NOT IN THE JERRY MANUEL FAN CLUB. I don't think he's the best guy for the job. But, I am tired of seeing the ridiculous second guessing going on ALL THE TIME. The fact of the matter is we're winning again, and that should be what matters right now. You could be Tigers fans.

My biggest problem with JM is his lack of consistency in decisions.

Last Saturday Frank sat because he couldn't hit Clement (in all of 4 AB's.) Yesterday he plays against Clement and goes 1-3.

This is just an example of the inconsistent moves he makes. That's why I don't like him.

Bob