PDA

View Full Version : For those who bash Chris Singleton...

xil357
06-27-2003, 01:38 PM
... he only went 1 for 5 vs. the Rangers last night, dropping his average to .299. :?: :?: :?:

So glad he isn't playing CF for the Sox now.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-27-2003, 01:43 PM
he also has 1 stolen base! singleton would not make us that much better than harris/borch/rowand/rios.

Konerkoholic
06-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Gotta love his defense, though. Also, Oakland is not a running team.

soxdave
06-27-2003, 03:29 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. It was trendy a couple of winters ago to hate Singleton on the White Sox board. Never thought I would miss his defense so much. His bat or baserunning
couldn't be much better or worse than we have now.

who would've thought it

soxdave

Tragg
06-27-2003, 04:09 PM
Singleton's having a career year with his .346 obp; his career obp is a dreadful 316, which is why he is no longer a member of this team and was rightfully traded. Any way you slice it, he's average. Better than what we have? Yes. Lamentable? NO!

kermittheefrog
06-27-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
he also has 1 stolen base! singleton would not make us that much better than harris/borch/rowand/rios.

Oakland nearly forbids their players from attempting steals.

Tragg
06-27-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Oakland nearly forbids their players from attempting steals.

Lemme guess - they don't sac bunt either except in a late inning to win a game?

gosox41
06-27-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Lemme guess - they don't sac bunt either except in a late inning to win a game?

They don't even do it then that much. Read 'Moneyball' it sums up their theories pretty well.

Bob

Saracen
06-27-2003, 06:25 PM
During that Rangers broadcast last night, they also pointed out he has the worst fielding percentage of any major league centerfielder.

He can get to the ball - just doesn't always catch it once he's there. We have no need for that kind of defense.

RKMeibalane
06-27-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Saracen
He can get to the ball - just doesn't always catch it once he's there. We have no need for that kind of defense.

The Sox already have a player like that- Carlos Lee. He hustles after balls, but if he has to dive for them, he's not going to catch them. Too many times over the past few weeks have I seen him try to make a sliding catch near the foul line, only to miss the ball and slide on his ass until he reaches the warning track where it loops around into foul territory.

Tragg
06-27-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
They don't even do it then that much. Read 'Moneyball' it sums up their theories pretty well.

Bob

Maybe I will one day
I agree with them by and large on bunting.
As for stealing, a decent basestealer is successful 2/3 of the time; I would question his probability calculations re stealing. I guess i ought to read the book.