PDA

View Full Version : Ugueth U. Urbina

xil357
06-27-2003, 01:23 PM
With the Sox bullpen issues (what team doesn't have them?) could they benefit from a trade with Texas for the closer who has saved 20 games for a team that has 29 wins? He is 0-3 with a 4.26 ERA (on a team with a 6.23 collective ERA) and in 31.2 IP he has 30 Ks and has given up 26 hits and 16 BB.

Texas is looking to deal Urbina, Juan Gonzalez, Palmeiro, Ismael Valdes and Carl Everett and they want young pitching in return. They also will need help in the outfield if they trade both Everett and Gonzalez. Rangers owner Tom Hicks, after his efforts to buy a championship have failed three years in a row, is looking to cut payroll. GM John Hart might be willing to do this deal for a young pitcher like Jon Adkins if the Chairman is willing to pick up the cost of the contract.

With Urbina, it would allow Koch and Marte to share the set-up role and Rick White could be released or Sanders could be sent to Charlotte to get some regular work.

I know this doesn't solve the immediate need in CF (Valentin's bat of late has cooled the burning need for a SS for the time being), but it does address a problem area on the team.

Consensus?

Randar68
06-27-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by xil357
With the Sox bullpen issues (what team doesn't have them?) could they benefit from a trade with Texas for the closer who has saved 20 games for a team that has 29 wins? He is 0-3 with a 4.26 ERA (on a team with a 6.23 collective ERA) and in 31.2 IP he has 30 Ks and has given up 26 hits and 16 BB.

Texas is looking to deal Urbina, Juan Gonzalez, Palmeiro, Ismael Valdes and Carl Everett and they want young pitching in return. They also will need help in the outfield if they trade both Everett and Gonzalez. Rangers owner Tom Hicks, after his efforts to buy a championship have failed three years in a row, is looking to cut payroll. GM John Hart might be willing to do this deal for a young pitcher like Jon Adkins if the Chairman is willing to pick up the cost of the contract.

With Urbina, it would allow Koch and Marte to share the set-up role and Rick White could be released or Sanders could be sent to Charlotte to get some regular work.

I know this doesn't solve the immediate need in CF (Valentin's bat of late has cooled the burning need for a SS for the time being), but it does address a problem area on the team.

Consensus?

Foget everyone on that list except maybe Everett. And I'm not real keen on the Dinosaur-Hater anyways. Koch in a set-up role???? scary.

xil357
06-27-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Foget everyone on that list except maybe Everett. And I'm not real keen on the Dinosaur-Hater anyways. Koch in a set-up role???? scary.

I don't think the Rangers have much to offer the Sox, either, but Urbina would be an upgrade over Koch as the Sox closer. Maybe Koch needs some time on the DL to regain his lost velocity.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-27-2003, 01:46 PM
urbina makes 4.5 mill this year. some of that has been payed but.....

:reinsy
"no"

Steve Bartman
06-27-2003, 07:50 PM
If you thing Koch is going to give you a heart attack.....