PDA

View Full Version : Is it me, or...

Meixner007
06-27-2003, 02:39 AM
Has DJ (announcer) really found his groove as of late. Usually, I cringe when he has something to say, especially when he does the play by play in the 6th, but lately he's reallly made some good points/observations. Maybe he's just hitting his stride. Anyone agree/disagree.

mandmandm
06-27-2003, 09:35 AM
I am not the biggest Hawk and DJ fan but as the Sox have muddled there way through the season they seem edgier and on their game. They also seem to be doing less of that "You Do, I love.... " shtick which gets on my nerves.

alohafri
06-27-2003, 11:04 AM
I've always liked Hawk & DJ, especially in comparison to the squid (Chimp) on the Northside.
I, too, think DJ has really been much better this year.

I'm a bit perturbed by Hawk of late...especially his comments about scamME's corked bat.

---Mrs. Aloha

thecell
06-27-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by alohafri
I've always liked Hawk & DJ, especially in comparison to the squid (Chimp) on the Northside.
I, too, think DJ has really been much better this year.

I'm a bit perturbed by Hawk of late...especially his comments about scamME's corked bat.

---Mrs. Aloha

Good point about Hawk and the cork. Whenever I watch a Flub game (to root for whoever they're playing of course), Chip and Stone do nothing but talk negative about the Sox. I guess Hawk has a little more class...

Scotty347
06-27-2003, 11:55 PM
I'm sure I will take a beating for this, but I actually enjoyed the game last Sunday on WGN with Chip Caray and Steve Stone. (I am not a Cubs fan)
I really don't think they were overly negative on the Sox. I think they called the game knowing that half the people watching were Sox fans. To be honest, I used to enjoy our TV guys, but it is tough these days. It seems Hawks enthusiasm is gone, and I think DJ is responsible for it. I think DJ is terribly boring. I get really sick of him making excuses for everybody on the Sox. Just once I'd like him to say that someone stinks. Maybe the closest he has gotten all year to not making excuses for someone was the Twins game the other night when the other DJ took a nap on 2nd base in the 9th inning and failed the score. Anyway, I thought the Cub broadcasters were fine to listen to for a change.

ilsox7
06-28-2003, 12:00 AM
Skip's son is truly an idiot. He simply cannot properly call a baseball game. I remember a few years back, a second baseman made a diving play. Skip's son announced it as "a little leather larceny by the second sacker." Ugh.

As for our guys, I cannot stand DJ. He's so boring and rarely adds anything at all to the broadcast. I have grown to like Hawk, b/c he cares about the team. I'd love to sit down with Hawk and have a few beers and hear his real feelings abt. this team, b/c we cannot get those on air.

In summary, Skip's son horrible. DJ boring. Hawk good.

jeremyb1
06-28-2003, 11:31 AM
i find chip carrey to be the most obnoxious broadcaster i've ever heard and i don't feel that all that much of it has to do with the fact that he covers the cubs. i just can't stand his attitude. his way of rooting for the home team seems to be completely exagerating everything. a soft grounded through the hole is a "smash", a running catch in the outfield is always a "spectacular play" and any deep fly ball has him screaming. additionally he say things you're just in complete shock to hear such as what an incredible all around player sosa is or something to that effect. on top of all this i just can't stand his tone of voice. no matter what he says it sounds so incredibly condescending and he sounds so pleased with himself as though any joke he makes is unbelievably witty. terrible.

MRKARNO
06-28-2003, 11:50 AM
There are a lot of things I'd rather do than be forced to listen to Chip Carey calling a sammy sosa game-winning homer

kevingrt
06-28-2003, 11:54 AM
I have always liked Hawk a lot, but I haven't been the biggest DJ fan. My favorite or close to favorite announcing group was Hawk & Wimpy, they were amazing. But yes DJ is getting much better and edgier; he is giving much better observation and analysis. He is also adding some good humor. Friday, he made the point that Frank should bunt with the 3B in the outfield. I hope Hawk & DJ keep on getting better, but they are very good now!