PDA

View Full Version : No 03 White Flag trade?


Bisco Stu
06-27-2003, 01:20 AM
From a CBS Sportsline article:

"They're not going to run the white flag up again," one league source predicted, a reference back to the White Sox's infamous 1997 White Flag trade with San Francisco.

MRKARNO
06-27-2003, 01:24 AM
Is this from the same league source that said that the sox won't make the playoffs with Esteban Loaiza as it's 4th starter?

Lip Man 1
06-27-2003, 11:14 AM
I think the important point is that six years after the deal people in and out of baseball STILL remember it.

They're going to for a very long time....executives, players, agents and fans.

Now does anyone want to tell how this deal was good for the Sox either on of off the field?

It stigmatized the franchise in the worst way since the Black Sox.

Lip

mandmandm
06-27-2003, 11:20 AM
I am hoping for the opposite. ESPN 1000 mulled the idea of getting Alomar from the Mets. What do you guys think? He is getting older but has playoff chase and playoff experience plus the brothers reunited for a last world series run would not only generate excitement but may drive them beyond their current playing capabilities. Can he lead off?

hold2dibber
06-27-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I think the important point is that six years after the deal people in and out of baseball STILL remember it.

They're going to for a very long time....executives, players, agents and fans.

Now does anyone want to tell how this deal was good for the Sox either on of off the field?

It stigmatized the franchise in the worst way since the Black Sox.

Lip

Don't forget Disco Demolition and the fightin' Ligue boys! You wanna talk stigmas, we got stigmas!

hold2dibber
06-27-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by mandmandm
I am hoping for the opposite. ESPN 1000 mulled the idea of getting Alomar from the Mets. What do you guys think? He is getting older but has playoff chase and playoff experience plus the brothers reunited for a last world series run would not only generate excitement but may drive them beyond their current playing capabilities. Can he lead off?

Ick. If the Sox are interested in a 2B, I would hope they'd go after Luis Castillo, not Alomar. But I don't think 2B is what they're concerned about - one would think that CF would be the primary area of concern.

guillen4life13
06-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Ick. If the Sox are interested in a 2B, I would hope they'd go after Luis Castillo, not Alomar. But I don't think 2B is what they're concerned about - one would think that CF would be the primary area of concern.

How bout we get Castillo and Alomar!

Can either play center field?

MRKARNO
06-27-2003, 11:37 AM
I hope that Kenny Williams is getting worried about CF, SS, and 2B

lowesox
06-27-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
ESPN 1000 mulled the idea of getting Alomar from the Mets. What do you guys think?

I think this is a fantastic idea. Alomar is fiery and an amazing clutch hitter. Two things the sox desperately need. The only problem would be that he's not a leadoff hitter so we'd have to use our CF in the leadoff. Does anybody know if Roger Cedeno can field center?

duke of dorwood
06-27-2003, 12:18 PM
Weren't we closer to first than this the last time there was a big White Flag Trade? Where are your memories?

:reinsy

When I say we're done, we're done

hold2dibber
06-27-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I think this is a fantastic idea. Alomar is fiery and an amazing clutch hitter.

Alomar hasn't been fiery for years - I have repeatedly heard, over the last few years, that the guy is lackadaisical, not interested, etc.

Does anybody know if Roger Cedeno can field center?

:chunks

Steve Bartman
06-27-2003, 01:09 PM
Does anybody know if Roger Cedeno can field center? [/B][/QUOTE]


Cedeno is absolute crap. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-27-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Cubsloseagain911
Does anybody know if Roger Cedeno can field center?


Cedeno is absolute crap. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. [/B][/QUOTE]

Agreed, but what about our current centerfielders isn't total crap?

TheRockinMT
06-27-2003, 01:22 PM
No White Flag trade this year, in fact I hope that Reinsdorf opens that piggy bank and signs Colon and Buerhle to long term deals (whatever that is for a pitcher nowadays?). If we do anything it will be to help the club now. I still think J.D. Drew in St Louis would be good.

JUGGERNAUT
06-27-2003, 01:22 PM
But it will be extremely HARD for JR to justify a WF3 given the futility of the Twinks & Roys.

If the SOX win another 4/6 vs their most hated rivals who in their right mind could justify a WF3?

As long as they go 3/6 vs their rivals & 5-5 vs the AL least there's simply no justification for a WF3.

gosox41
06-27-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by JUGGERNAUT
But it will be extremely HARD for JR to justify a WF3 given the futility of the Twinks & Roys.

If the SOX win another 4/6 vs their most hated rivals who in their right mind could justify a WF3?

As long as they go 3/6 vs their rivals & 5-5 vs the AL least there's simply no justification for a WF3.

:reinsy
That's what you think....

voodoochile
06-27-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I hope that Kenny Williams is getting worried about CF, SS, and 2B

Yeah, that SS situation is just KILLING the Sox...

hold2dibber
06-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by JUGGERNAUT
If the SOX win another 4/6 vs their most hated rivals who in their right mind could justify a WF3?

:reinsy
"What makes you think I'm in my right mind?"

hold2dibber
06-27-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted Cubsloseagain911
Cedeno is absolute crap. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

Originally posted by SoCalUIC
Agreed, but what about our current centerfielders isn't total crap?

Uh, so you're advocating getting another terrible player to replace/supplement our terrible players? Make that a terrible player who makes a lot of money to replace/supplmenet our terrible players who don't make a lot of money? :?:

Fridaythe13thJason
06-27-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Uh, so you're advocating getting another terrible player to replace/supplement our terrible players? Make that a terrible player who makes a lot of money to replace/supplmenet our terrible players who don't make a lot of money? :?:

I tend to advocate any sort of change in the wake of terrible current options. I don't care about the finances of the deal. I know Cedeno is fast...so that's good. I know the Mets are terrible in general, so ya never know what a change of scenery could do. I mean...the Mets made Alomar terrible, and most of us thought he was the best 2B in the game three years ago.

That place is a black hole.

Tragg
06-27-2003, 08:27 PM
Let's not pick up Mets or Rangers garbage.
Just a suggestion.

Brian26
06-27-2003, 10:14 PM
1997 Indians were a FAR better team that either team ahead of us right now. The weather's getting warmer, and this team is starting to play well. We have more talent that either team ahead of us, our pitching is rock solid, and we've got a shot at this thing. There will be no white flag.

MarkEdward
06-27-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
I know Cedeno is fast...so that's good. \

If Roger is fast, then he ain't showing it. He's 6 for 13 in stealing bases this year. His career SB% isn't that bad (79%), but he's still way too expensive for a sub-.700 OPS.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-27-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
If Roger is fast, then he ain't showing it. He's 6 for 13 in stealing bases this year. His career SB% isn't that bad (79%), but he's still way too expensive for a sub-.700 OPS.

Maybe he has Christian Guzman disease...the disease that gives you superhuman speed, and no ability to steal bases with it.