PDA

View Full Version : Who are the sox best prospects?

MRKARNO
06-26-2003, 10:53 PM
It sounds like non of our best prospects are playing in AAA right now (besides Borchard) and that most of them are in AA Birmingham.

Is there someone who is really part of the long term future of the sox in AAA or am I right that there is no one there?

Can someone talk about the following prospects who (statistically) seem to be our best in AAA?:

Gabe Alvarez
Ryan Hankins
Byeong An
Neal Cotts
Royce Ring

And one more question, are Tetsu Yofu and his 9 different pitches coming up to the sox anytime soon or was his 3.1 inning stint in charlotte all the chance he'll get?

kermittheefrog
06-26-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Gabe Alvarez
Ryan Hankins
Byeong An
Neal Cotts
Royce Ring

And one more question, are Tetsu Yofu and his 9 different pitches coming up to the sox anytime soon or was his 3.1 inning stint in charlotte all the chance he'll get?

Well Gave Alvarez is 29 and Ryan Hankins is 27, that should answer your question about them.

Byeong An doesn't throw very hard and doesn't have good K or BB numbers so he's a C- prospect at best.

Neal Cotts spent some time on the DL with shoulder soreness but I think he's back on the active roster. He's legit and has ridiculous strikeout numbers. His best pitch is a curveball, he's got an average fastball and a change-up. He needs to work on his control which is below average but I like him a lot.

Ring was a first round draft pick last year. His performance is making the Sox look just a little better after foolishing spending a first round pick on a relief pitcher.

Tetsu Yofu will probably never make the Sox, he couldn't even make the Japanese leagues.

SoxxoS
06-26-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Well Gave Alvarez is 29 and Ryan Hankins is 27, that should answer your question about them.

Byeong An doesn't throw very hard and doesn't have good K or BB numbers so he's a C- prospect at best.

Neal Cotts spent some time on the DL with shoulder soreness but I think he's back on the active roster. He's legit and has ridiculous strikeout numbers. His best pitch is a curveball, he's got an average fastball and a change-up. He needs to work on his control which is below average but I like him a lot.

Ring was a first round draft pick last year. His performance is making the Sox look just a little better after foolishing spending a first round pick on a relief pitcher.

Tetsu Yofu will probably never make the Sox, he couldn't even make the Japanese leagues.

So basically out of those 5-
3 are non major leaguers
1 is/has been hurt
1 is good. But knowing the Sox track record, is probably overhyped.

That is the Sox farm system I know and love. :D:

MRKARNO
06-26-2003, 11:23 PM
This is concerning enough to make me want to trade some of the veterans for legit prospects. So what happens when our veterans leave? Will KW realize we need other veterans to keep us from becoming the next Detroit tigers?

One more thing, does anyone know about Boston's Hanley Ramirez? He's an A SS prospect .290, 5 HR, 29 RBI, 18 SB who we better get if we're out of the race and need to trade Bartolo Colon.

Cotts sounds like he has star potential. Does he have a cool windup like Dontrelle? Maybe then we can get some press :smile:

Randar68
06-26-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
1 is good. But knowing the Sox track record, is probably overhyped.

Who in the world is over-hyping them? I have seen 3 articles this week in the Tribune and 2 in the Sun-Times on the Cubs draft picks and signings, and since the week of the draft (outside of Anderson signing) there has been none on the Sox.

Independant 3rd parties have no interest in falsely hyping one team's prospects over another.

I am still waiting for someone to show me all this hype!?!?

Seems a pathetic excuse when someone doesn't live up to an unrealistic expectation some fan has of a player who said fan has never seen play in the minor leagues a thousand miles away.

Not every prospect turns into an All-star.

Your opening day 1, 3, and 4 starters, Maggs, Thomas, Carlos Lee, and Rowand, among them 3 All-stars, are home-grown. How many teams starting the season expected to contend can say that?

MRKARNO
06-26-2003, 11:50 PM
But how good do we really expect Carlos Lee to be? Do we honestly expect him to make the majors? He'll end up being a flop for sure, drafted by name alone, tsk, tsk tsk.

Of course I'm talking about the White Sox' Carlos Lee's brother (the other) Carlos Lee :)

Randar68
06-27-2003, 12:02 AM
Of course I'm talking about the White Sox' Carlos Lee's brother (I think) Carlos Lee

Yes, it is his brother.

MarkEdward
06-27-2003, 12:35 AM
I'm not really concerned with our hitting prospects. We may have some of the best outfield prospects in the game. Anderson, Reed, Borchard, Webster, and Sweeney all seem like grade B prospects or higher. We still have no catching prospects. Our only first base prospect is Casey Rogowski, and although he is drawing plenty of walks, doesn't show a lot of power. Middle infield isn't much better. Ruddy Yan may turn out to be something, but he's a project. Tim Hummel's not really a prospect, but still has a chance to be an bench/utility player in the majors. I like Micah Schnurstein, but he's still way too young to make a judgment.

I'm a little concerned about our pitchers. Cotts, Ring, and Honel all seem like very good prospects. Aside from that, we have nobody. Let's look at AAA first. Rauch will probably make the Sox next year, but his 2003 minor league numbers aren't blowing me away. Edwin Almonte seems to be pulling a Corwin Malone; his 2003 season has been horrid. Arnaldo Munoz has a high ERA, but he is striking out hitters, which is a good sign (10.6 K/9IP). In Birmingham, we don't have much. Jim Bullard's and Brian West's days on prospect lists seem to be over. Enemencio Pacheco is putting up good numbers, but he's a little old (25). Chris McWhirter (24) is putting up good numbers, but he's only pitched 25 innings. Jeff Bajenaru is putting up good numbers, and he's only 24. It's premature to judge A-ball pitchers. Kris Honel is a legit prospect. Ryan Wing has a great ERA, but his K rate is very low.

So there are my thoughts. We're not as bad as the Tigers; we just don't have many major league-ready prospects.

southpaw40
06-27-2003, 12:59 PM

I've seen him pitch this season, prior to his promotion to Birmingham. There were no radar readings (that I saw) when he pitched, but I thought he was throwing pretty hard, I'd guess around 90MPH. But what impressed me about him is his ability to pitch to both sides of the plate, as well as up and down. His first time through the order, he would get ahead with a big breaking curve ball or a good change-up, and when he had the hitter set up, he would bust that fastball over. Then he switched his pattern, so he kept the hitters off balance the entire 8 innings that he pitched. He appeared to have a good idea of how to pitch when I saw him, and he certainly appeared to have the pitches to do it with!
So, based solely on that one time I saw him pitch, I would grade him as a C+ prospect. (but what do I know)!
:D:

spanishwhite
06-27-2003, 03:02 PM

I know that he pitched for a championship Korean league team and was the MVP for that series.

Take that for what it is worth. Don't know what that translates too.

He might make the sox, he has good velocity, decent breaking pitches.

Steve Bartman
06-27-2003, 06:43 PM
what the hell ever happened to Corwin Malone. Talk about an over-hyped prosepect.

kevingrt
06-27-2003, 07:54 PM
Malone is still doing well last I knew...

But we have Jeremy Reed in I think Single A or Double AA, and he is suppose to be doing awesome. I wonder how our prospects rank among other teams.

MRKARNO
06-27-2003, 07:56 PM
Is Royce Ring ready to be brought up to the majors? Would he be an upgrade over White/Sanders?

Daver
06-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Is Royce Ring ready to be brought up to the majors? Would he be an upgrade over White/Sanders?

No,and No

jeremyb1
06-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Ryan Wing has a great ERA, but his K rate is very low.

60 k's in 80 ip is not very low. i'd be more worried about wing's walks. his k/bb ratio doesn't indicate a pitcher with a 1.67 era but i still think he's a solid prospect. also, wyatt allen has pitched pretty well lately although obviously walking more guys than you strikeout is horrendous. however, we know he's a project so who knows what could happen if he starts to turn it around, he might improve dramatically.

overall i have to agree with you though, outside of cotts, ring, honel, rauch, and wing there's not very much there.

Daver
06-27-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Malone is still doing well last I knew...

But we have Jeremy Reed in I think Single A or Double AA, and he is suppose to be doing awesome. I wonder how our prospects rank among other teams.

Corwin Malone is on the DL,he has been for most of the season.

Jeremy Reed was recently promoted to AA Birmingham,where he continues to tear up pitchers,he will probably earn an invite to ST with the Sox next year.

jeremyb1
06-27-2003, 08:05 PM
i just remembered one guy who no one mentioned in this thread is felix diaz. he's been solid at charlotte especially when he's started.

RichH55
06-29-2003, 12:36 AM

Matt Ginter.......a 1st rounder too(sandwich pick) if I recall......ive wanted him over White for awhile