PDA

View Full Version : Foulke sounds like a fan.


Jerry_Manuel
08-22-2001, 07:45 AM
It's about time someone on the team said something.
I'm not sure it will do any good but it's nice to see.
The following was in today's Daily Southtown:
As far as White Sox closer Keith Foulke is concerned, the standings have been lying.

"I can't look at this team and say that we're a .500 team," Foulke said before Tuesday's Sox-Kansas City Royals game. "We're better than that. I'd hate to be sitting at home in November, knowing that (AL Central rivals) Cleveland and Minnesota did everything they could to let us get back into the race and we did nothing to take advantage of it. It's time to have a sense of urgency."

"When this season is over, it's very possible that we may be a .500 team, but I look around this clubhouse and I'm not seeing that," Foulke said. "The thing is, we've got to step it up now. We can't keep going out there just wanting it to happen. We've all got to make it happen."

carltonfisk
08-22-2001, 09:17 AM
"When this season is over, it's very possible that we may be a .500 team, but I look around this clubhouse and I'm not seeing that," Foulke said. "The thing is, we've got to step it up now. We can't keep going out there just wanting it to happen. We've all got to make it happen."

I know there are other pitchers in the pen to blame, but I kinda think that Foulke should take is own advice. I know he's been having a good season (saves-wise), but how many games has he blown it? That debacle in the Twinkiedome still haunts me. I think that if he didn't blow a some of those games, they would have helped us get rolling. Don't get me wrong, though, I think the other guys in the pen floundering let to his and Howry's overusage. I love seeing the guy pitch.

Fisk Fan
08-22-2001, 09:18 AM
That's the kind of stuff I like to hear from the players. He sounds like someone posting here. Here is a prime example of a guy you want in the clubhouse day in and day out! At least someone has the balls to come out and say wat needs to be said, instead of hiding and dancing around the subject.

Good for Keith!

cheeses_h_rice
08-22-2001, 09:20 AM
Every closer blows a game now and then, but Foulke is the furthest from blame of anyone in the Sox pen this year.

Howry, Wunsch, Osuna all have done much worse.

voodoochile
08-22-2001, 09:25 AM
Now is one of the position players would just step up and say the same thing...

:ray
"Why you looking at me like that?"

Fisk Fan
08-22-2001, 09:38 AM
Every closer blows a game now and then, but Foulke is the furthest from blame of anyone in the Sox pen this year.


Let's blame Howry! He stinks this year!


:walk
"What, me worry?"

idseer
08-22-2001, 09:42 AM
i would only add that he MIGHT have said it way sooner! like before the all-star break.
it seems a little late for a pep talk.

voodoochile
08-22-2001, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by idseer
i would only add that he MIGHT have said it way sooner! like before the all-star break.
it seems a little late for a pep talk.

I agree, but ANY sign of life is a positive for this team. I just wish Ray would stop moping and try to be a leader. I know he is having an awful season, but man the way to come back from adversity is to step up, take the blame and then try and fire himself and others up. Maybe if he stepped up and said, 'I have stunk this season, but there is no excuse for everyone else stinking too. Magglio, Foulke, you can go, the rest of you need to hear this... STOP MOPING AND START PLAYING!!! If you don't want to play hard, there is the door... " He is the most experienced psition player we have and he has been a leader before, but since the loss of Thomas and the trade of JB, he has been letting it get to him.. Time to step up and be a man, RayRay...

Procol Harum
08-22-2001, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile


I agree, but ANY sign of life is a positive for this team. I just wish Ray would stop moping and try to be a leader...Time to step up and be a man, RayRay...

If we ever needed proof that Durham doesn't have what it takes to be a great player that can lead us to the ultimate prize--2001 has been the definitive statement. When we needed him most he has hit well below average, his obp has gone down, he continues to be a bonehead on the basepaths and has melted down in the field at some very inopportune moments. This goof needs to be jettisoned as soon as this season is over.

Paulwny
08-22-2001, 10:58 AM
Couldn't agree more Procol. We often discuss pitchers becoming head cases, Ray is the ultimate basket case this year.

voodoochile
08-22-2001, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum


If we ever needed proof that Durham doesn't have what it takes to be a great player that can lead us to the ultimate prize--2001 has been the definitive statement. When we needed him most he has hit well below average, his obp has gone down, he continues to be a bonehead on the basepaths and has melted down in the field at some very inopportune moments. This goof needs to be jettisoned as soon as this season is over.

I disagree. I understand his frutration (I think we all do) and think the loss of JB and Frank (the other two clubhouse leaders last year and two of his closest friends) has put him in a funk. I think next year when he is a year removed from the JB thing and Frank is back, he will return to form (which made him and AS last year). I just wish he would find a way to dig down and make it happen now.

I'm not ready to give up on Ray yet...

Paulwny
08-22-2001, 11:08 AM
The problem I have is that Ray is no kid. Trades, injuries, being released are all part of the system. Something is wrong when a veteran player like Ray doesn't recognize this.

voodoochile
08-22-2001, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
The problem I have is that Ray is no kid. Trades, injuries, being released are all part of the system. Something is wrong when a veteran player like Ray doesn't recognize this.

I think he does recognize it, but when a person (any person) loses their two best friends from their place of employment AND those players were team leaders, there is going to be some emotional fall out. Give Ray a chance to come back, it isn't like his value is at an all time hight right now... and it won't get much worse if he has a crappy first half of 2002...

Soxboyrob
08-22-2001, 11:17 AM
It's not that we're unwilling to accept that Durham is human and capable of having an off-year at the plate or the field. The problem that most fans seem to have w/ the guy is the way he's mentally out of it seemingly 1/2 of the time. He's always been this way and doesn't seem to be snapping out of it. Getting over the loss of JB and having Frank back might help next year, but I'm not holding my breath.

Procol Harum
08-22-2001, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
It's not that we're unwilling to accept that Durham is human and capable of having an off-year at the plate or the field. The problem that most fans seem to have w/ the guy is the way he's mentally out of it seemingly 1/2 of the time. He's always been this way and doesn't seem to be snapping out of it. Getting over the loss of JB and having Frank back might help next year, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah Rob, I think you hone in on what makes this year's problems so irritating. If he hadn't been so prone to this sort of roller-coaster behavior and mental lapses we'd probably be more understanding. But it seems like the same ol', same ol' and a bunch more.

Soxboyrob
08-22-2001, 12:24 PM
Absolutely right, PH. How many "oops" has Ray had on the bases this year? How about in his career?

Just a note, and I'm sure several of you have noticed this....Just once, I'd like to see Ray hold a tag on a runner as he's safely sliding into second base. I can't count how many times I've seen a guy slide in safely but then have his momentum take him right past the bag and be lying there dead as a duck, reaching for the base, while Ray is standing there holding the ball and looking into the audience. If you haven't noticed this, watch it the next time Lee tries throwing a guy out at second on a double down the line. The first time this ever happened in my softball league, I permanently learned that the tag ought to be held on the runner(with some pressure if at all possible) until it needs to be thrown somewhere. My point in all this is that Ray makes mistakes that I learned not to make in Little League or in Beer League softball.

steff
08-22-2001, 01:56 PM
How many "oops" has Ray had on the bases this year? How about in his career...
My point in all this is that Ray makes mistakes that I learned not to make in Little League or in Beer League softball.


Alright Rob.. you're ticking me off. Why are you picking on my boy??
OK.. Kidding aside, being someone who picks apart Ray's preformance day in and day out, I know he's been crap at the plate and in the field, but man the fans just love him. He's a PR dream. And face it.. this team aint got much else going on but Ray's smile and Jose's butt...err.. I mean blue eyes :-). It's sick to watch him play these days. I swear I hold my breath every at bat. But Ray has a habit of this. He'll snap out of it. Today would be nice...

Randar68
08-22-2001, 02:02 PM
He'll snap out of it

And the fact that he has to is reason enough I won't blink twice when he's packing his bags the second a real leadoff hitter is available. He has the talent and ability to be a good leadoff hitter. He is unwilling and uninterested in developing his game in the direction of low HR, high OBP baseball.

He's crap, and that's not a team player, no matter how you cut it...

Soxboyrob
08-22-2001, 02:06 PM
Today would be very nice, but like we said, it's the mental part of his game that seems to be constantly lacking.

I'm not sure about him being the fans' favorite at this point. Which fans? He smiles a lot, yes, but a lot of fans these days have been calling for his head. He's the streakiest guy I've ever seen play the game but even if/when he snaps out of his current crappy streak, he's got a long long way to go before he's no longer crappy from a stats standpoint this season.

It seems likely that Ray ain't going anywhere, as you've previously pointed out on several occasions...the organization seems to love the guy. I wonder how he puts up w/ the constant lambasting he's been taking from the fans and media this season. Have you heard anything?

voodoochile
08-22-2001, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by steff3603



Alright Rob.. you're ticking me off. Why are you picking on my boy??
OK.. Kidding aside, being someone who picks apart Ray's preformance day in and day out, I know he's been crap at the plate and in the field, but man the fans just love him. He's a PR dream. And face it.. this team aint got much else going on but Ray's smile and Jose's butt...err.. I mean blue eyes :-). It's sick to watch him play these days. I swear I hold my breath every at bat. But Ray has a habit of this. He'll snap out of it. Today would be nice...

Aren't Jose's eyes brown? We can tell you're paying as much attention to them as we do to Alba's...

:messica
"you mean you don't look at my eyes?"

Iwritecode
08-22-2001, 03:18 PM
Would it be fair to blame a large amout of the Sox offensive struggles this season on Ray? It was mentioned constantly last year; "as went Ray, so went the Sox." If he had an off day, the whole team seemed to have an off day. If he had a good day, the offense clicked. Seems to be the same this year, he has had a few good streaks but overall has been in a season long slump as has the team.

Of course missing :hurt sure doesn't help matters at all...