PDA

View Full Version : Trade Carlos Lee Now?

NewyorkSoxFan
06-26-2003, 05:11 PM
I am curious what my brethren think of this. Carlos has cost us some games this year by not being able to put the ball in play with men on 3rd and less than 2 outs. His defense although improved is still very suspect. Is now the time to package him and someone else for a CF'er.

I feel like this team is playing with dynamite if we don't get an experieced CF'er here soon. Willie running into the wall without being even near the baseball, Armando "I wanna more time" Rios is brutal, and Crash... well enough said.

We have a glut of 1st baseman type sluggers and he is gonna walk at the end of the year anyway. He is a viable trade commodity, and maybe help some other team. Our pitching has been as solid as I can remember since the early 90's, but if we are not gonna hit, we better be able to field. Jose is not going anywhere, but we can cover another hole with a servicable centerfielder. OK let me have it!!!

NYSF :D:

NC_sox_fan
06-26-2003, 05:16 PM
M Ordonez CWS OF 75 282
2. C Lee CWS OF 74 276
3. D Jimenez CWS 2B 69 259
4. J Crede CWS 3B 72 257
5. J Valentin CWS SS 69 245
6. F Thomas CWS DH 72 243

Trade Carlos?????? For What???????

:?:

soxfan45
06-26-2003, 05:18 PM
The problem is...is that CLee will probably be another great 5 or 6 hole hitter with a more consistent hitting team with a better outfield, thus taking some pressure off of him which always leads to more consistency.
The problem with us, is that we have too many CLee type players and not enough baseball veterns whose knowledge can make up for the bone-headedness of a few.

I honestly don't see CLee as the big problem.

Incidently, did anyone see Gardenshires post game comments? He ripped the hell out of his club for making bad throwing errors and criticized their lack of intensity!!!

I wish Jerry would take some lessons from Ron G.

gosox41
06-26-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
I am curious what my brethren think of this. Carlos has cost us some games this year by not being able to put the ball in play with men on 3rd and less than 2 outs. His defense although improved is still very suspect. Is now the time to package him and someone else for a CF'er.

I feel like this team is playing with dynamite if we don't get an experieced CF'er here soon. Willie running into the wall without being even near the baseball, Armando "I wanna more time" Rios is brutal, and Crash... well enough said.

We have a glut of 1st baseman type sluggers and he is gonna walk at the end of the year anyway. He is a viable trade commodity, and maybe help some other team. Our pitching has been as solid as I can remember since the early 90's, but if we are not gonna hit, we better be able to field. Jose is not going anywhere, but we can cover another hole with a servicable centerfielder. OK let me have it!!!

Carlos has been better on defense. I think he lead the AL in assists last season. I expected more from him offensively after the way he ended up last season, but wouldn't consider trading him unless the Sox get immediate help at CF.

Bob

hold2dibber
06-26-2003, 05:25 PM

I don't necessarily have a problem with dealing CLee for a CF, though that would just open up a hole in left (if only PK was hitting, he could DH and Daubach could play left). But I can't think of a team that would be willing to deal a CF good enough to trade for Carlos. Kotsay makes about the same amount of money as CLee, but he doesn't hit as well as CLee and his defense, while better than any CF the Sox have now, probably would not make up for the lowered production that would result from Lee being gone from the line-up.

I can't think of any CFers out there that would fit the bill and could be worth trading Carlos for (other than guys like Beltran, who the other team wouldn't give up for CLee).

Instead, the Sox could probably get Lofton or Everett for a lot less than CLee (e.g., mid-level prospects). Or, how about this idea for a 3-way deal:

Sox get: Johnny Damon, Brandon Lyon
Pittsburgh gets: David Sanders and Aaron Miles
BoSox get: Kenny Lofton, Tom Gordon and Koch

The Sox then use Marte and Lyon as the 2-headed closing monster, Damon leading off in center and call up Ginter to take Sanders' spot.

NewyorkSoxFan
06-26-2003, 06:02 PM
Don't get me wrong I am not saying that I have a problem with el caballo. But you have to give up something to get something, and I would be willing to trade Clee b/c I feel he has reached his potential. I don't think he will ever be a .300 hitter or a 40 hr guy. He will be a .260 hitter and a 25hr guy. And we have that guy on our team 3 or 4 times already. (Daubach, Thomas, PK, etc.) That being said I would think that we would have a much easier time getting a corner outfielder as opposed to a cf'er.

NYSF

voodoochile
06-26-2003, 06:15 PM
Don't get me wrong I am not saying that I have a problem with el caballo. But you have to give up something to get something, and I would be willing to trade Clee b/c I feel he has reached his potential. I don't think he will ever be a .300 hitter or a 40 hr guy. He will be a .260 hitter and a 25hr guy. And we have that guy on our team 3 or 4 times already. (Daubach, Thomas, PK, etc.) That being said I would think that we would have a much easier time getting a corner outfielder as opposed to a cf'er.

NYSF

Why is Konerko on that list? Do you see him becoming good again?

NewyorkSoxFan
06-26-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Why is Konerko on that list? Do you see him becoming good again?

You have to think that eventually he will hit this year, albeit not with the results we are used to seeing, but I think he will snap out of it. If we could get everybody hitting or at least Maggs, we could afford to get him some ab's. But with the lineup struggling, we can't have him out there everday rolling to the pitcher. Thats what helped us get in this mess in the first place. (Definitely no pun intended.)

NYSF :angry:

MRKARNO
06-27-2003, 01:32 AM
Maybe we can trick a team into taking the Carlos Lee that is in Rookie league