PDA

View Full Version : Let Flash Gordon be the closer?


Foulke You
06-26-2003, 02:47 PM
I never thought I'd say this but what do you guys think of letting Flash Gordon take on the closer spot? It is something he has done pretty well in the past and he has been a 40+ save guy in both the AL and NL. Gordon does have some scary outings this season but he has the best "stuff" of anyone in our bullpen except maybe Damaso. He is throwing bullets, 95-97mph consistently on the radar plus he is keeping the ball down. His breaking pitches drop like a hammer when his control is on. Not to mention the fact that his 49K to 19BB ratio is what you look for in a closer and his E.R.A. isn't bad at 3.55. Gordon has had some rough outings early on and his control is spotty at times but compared to Koch, he has Maddux like precision. I think the Sox should really consider doing this at least until Koch shows like he has regained his velocity and control from last year.

The Sox are at a crossroads point in the season and they have to feel confident when they turn the ball over to the closer at the end of a game with a small lead. I'm not solely blaming Koch for all of the close losses because the offense certainly has done a poor job of putting teams away. The fact remains however that I don't think any fan, player, or coach can feel good about Koch coming into a save situation with the game on the line right now. We can't be blowing key games, not when we're knocking on the door of the Division lead. Thoughts?

THE_HOOTER
06-26-2003, 02:51 PM
I would like Foulke back.

jortafan
06-26-2003, 02:53 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

And Nyet.

I'm sorry, but watching Gordon pitch these days scares me even more than watching Billy Koch. I wish we could release the Cubs reject, rather than give him a bigger role.

Now that I've got that rant out of my system, I'll take my medication and keep quiet.

Foulke You
06-26-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

And Nyet.

I'm sorry, but watching Gordon pitch these days scares me even more than watching Billy Koch. I wish we could release the Cubs reject, rather than give him a bigger role.

Now that I've got that rant out of my system, I'll take my medication and keep quiet.

If you would have talked to me in April and early May, your response would have been something I would have agreed with but recently Gordon has thrown much better and his style seems to be suited for short stints like closing. Last night was a good example.

He comes into the game with the bases empty and mows down the first 3 guys then gets himself into trouble the next inning but pitches out of it. Plus, most of the games he has blown have been when he enters the game with inherited runners, something closers don't normally do.

Much like Damaso Marte's struggles recently with runners on. Flash is much shakier with inherited runners than when he is starting out with the lead and the bases empty. I would also like to point out that the one save Flash had this year was a 1-2-3 outing which ties the number of 1-2-3 saves that Koch has.

hold2dibber
06-26-2003, 03:10 PM
I think JM should go with the hot hand/best match-up in the closer's role - as between Marte and Gordon that is. Koch has had success in the past because he could throw that speed ball by ya' -- without the heat, he simply can't be trusted. Therefore, JM should go with Flash or Marte (or Wunsch, for that matter, when he's healthy), based on who's hot and who matches up well against the expected 9th inning hitters.

hold2dibber
06-26-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
I would like Foulke back.

He'll be a free agent after this season - maybe the Sox will re-sign him!

I also miss Biddle - I still think that was a good trade, but man I wish the Sox could have sent someone like Stewart or Munoz or even Rauch instead of Biddle. That guy has nasty stuff and no fear. Perfect combination for a closer.

Foulke You
06-26-2003, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hold2dibber
He'll be a free agent after this season - maybe the Sox will re-sign him!

I also miss Biddle - I still think that was a good trade, but man I wish the Sox could have sent someone like Stewart or Munoz or even Rauch instead of Biddle. That guy has nasty stuff and no fear. Perfect combination for a closer. [/QUOTE

I still think Gordon is our best choice for the moment.

Does anyone remember Dan Wright being mentioned as a "future closer" when he was first brought up. I don't know if I would like a guy who walks as many batters as Wright out there in the 9th. We need a guy who can throw strikes.

gosox41
06-26-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I never thought I'd say this but what do you guys think of letting Flash Gordon take on the closer spot? It is something he has done pretty well in the past and he has been a 40+ save guy in both the AL and NL. Gordon does have some scary outings this season but he has the best "stuff" of anyone in our bullpen except maybe Damaso. He is throwing bullets, 95-97mph consistently on the radar plus he is keeping the ball down. His breaking pitches drop like a hammer when his control is on. Not to mention the fact that his 49K to 19BB ratio is what you look for in a closer and his E.R.A. isn't bad at 3.55. Gordon has had some rough outings early on and his control is spotty at times but compared to Koch, he has Maddux like precision. I think the Sox should really consider doing this at least until Koch shows like he has regained his velocity and control from last year.

The Sox are at a crossroads point in the season and they have to feel confident when they turn the ball over to the closer at the end of a game with a small lead. I'm not solely blaming Koch for all of the close losses because the offense certainly has done a poor job of putting teams away. The fact remains however that I don't think any fan, player, or coach can feel good about Koch coming into a save situation with the game on the line right now. We can't be blowing key games, not when we're knocking on the door of the Division lead. Thoughts?

The Sox should think about a bullpen by committee. White's been pitching better as of late and should be used more. I'd like to see Glover get a lot more work in. He's proven that he can be a good reliever with consistent work. The hot hands should be used at end of game situations, not the guy who has is supposed to throw the hardest or who gets paid the most.

Bob

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-26-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hold2dibber
[B]Does anyone remember Dan Wright being mentioned as a "future closer" when he was first brought up. I don't know if I would like a guy who walks as many batters as Wright out there in the 9th. We need a guy who can throw strikes.

his problem is that he has a bad inning alot. maybe its just me, but alot of the time it seems like his first inning is his worst. that would mean no closing for him.......




unless jerry manuel is manager.

:whiner:

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-26-2003, 04:46 PM
2 years ago, us sox fans all talked about trading someone(?) to LA for Eric Gagne. Gagne, had not found a role on LA and they had him on the block. We should of done that trade, only JM would probably have him starting for us.

gosox41
06-26-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
2 years ago, us sox fans all talked about trading someone(?) to LA for Eric Gagne. Gagne, had not found a role on LA and they had him on the block. We should of done that trade, only JM would probably have him starting for us.

I think it was Howry before the start of last season.

Bob