PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Reed

Dadawg_77
06-26-2003, 02:34 PM
Baseball Propectus has a free article on Jeremy Reed today.

http://premium.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2039

Nellie_Fox
06-26-2003, 02:42 PM
I've pretty much stopped going to Baseball Prospectus since they started making you pay to read most anything worth reading.

maurice
06-26-2003, 02:50 PM
Good article. In sum, the author thinks Reed is a smart player who puts up great numbers despite average tools; probably not a CF; possible 2004 call up.

NC_sox_fan
06-26-2003, 04:07 PM
JR is one of the best all-round players the Sox have sent to Winston-Salem. I would rank him side by side with Joe Crede, both defensively and offensively (even though they play different positions). Both, at this level, were equally talented. In 1998, Joe Crede was the Carolina League MVP and I have no doubt, if Reed had spent this whole season with us, he would have also been a league MVP. He has seemingly adjusted well to AA pitching and is doing well in Birmingham. He's also a very very nice guy. First class!

kermittheefrog
06-26-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
I've pretty much stopped going to Baseball Prospectus since they started making you pay to read most anything worth reading.

I don't think thats fair to say, there is still a lot of good free content. I have a Premium membership there and I still think the Prospectus Triple Play is well worth reading everyday. Plus a few typically premium articles are thrown in with the free stuff every week. There hasn't been much less free content than before they switch over to having pay subscribers. Now there's just a lot of pay content to go with it.

Tragg
06-26-2003, 04:32 PM
Isn't "Transactions Analysis" their claim to fame, now premium?

MarkEdward
06-26-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Isn't "Transactions Analysis" their claim to fame, now premium?

I don't think it was their claim to fame, but yes, it is oin the premium section.

Thoughts on Baseball Prospectus: I still use their statistics (mostly their reliever stats), but I don't read much of the free content (I've been pretty busy). When I go off to college in the fall, I'm probably going to get the subscription for the Premium content.

For what it's worth, I find Baseball Primer to be much better than Prospectus. The discussions are great, and guys like Tangotiger and MGL are always coming up with new stats and findings.

SoxxoS
06-26-2003, 06:50 PM
I think there is a possibility that Jeremy Reed might be a better all around CF than Joe Borchard...

MisterB
06-26-2003, 10:11 PM
I'm not hot on the idea of converting a player TO shortstop or centerfield. It would seem to me that if a player didn't have the defensive talent to be the starting SS or CF on his HS or college team, why would he be good enough to handle the position in the majors? Does anyone know any solid defensive ML players at those positions who didn't play there all along?

Randar68
06-26-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
I'm not hot on the idea of converting a player TO shortstop or centerfield. It would seem to me that if a player didn't have the defensive talent to be the starting SS or CF on his HS or college team, why would he be good enough to handle the position in the majors? Does anyone know any solid defensive ML players at those positions who didn't play there all along?

Ummmm, college is about winning. If a team has a 5'8" guy with great speed but but no draftable bat, and he is one of the three OF'ers, where are they going to play him? You got it... CF.

Reed can play it better than Rowand or Harris. Isn't that what everyone has asked for?

MisterB
06-27-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Reed can play it better than Rowand or Harris. Isn't that what everyone has asked for?

Not me. I'd rather have a legitimate CF than a slightly less incompetent one. And someone who projects to move to corner OF slot I wouldn't call a legitimate CF. I'm just getting tired of the Sox playing guys out of position to cover what is supposed to be a defensively important spot.

NC_sox_fan
06-27-2003, 07:39 AM
Borchard should be the Sox centerfielder. Reed should be a corner outfielder. When he was in Winston, he primarily played right field and did an excellent job. This kid crashed thru a wall making an outstanding catch. BUT, he is NOT a centerfielder. Sorry.

kevingrt
06-27-2003, 10:51 AM
Jeremy Reed is going to be awesome, I love him!

MarkEdward
06-27-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by NC_sox_fan
\ BUT, he is NOT a centerfielder. Sorry.

Why not? Not quick enough? No center field instincts?