PDA

View Full Version : Uhh ohhh.

Jurr
06-26-2003, 02:23 PM
As bad as some of you naysayers proclaim this team to be, we're sitting @ 4.5 back, everything's improving on the field, and we went .600 against two first place teams in the last 6 games. We've also split with Boston. Can't beat it. Watch this team defy their history and finish strong. In 2000, a strong start led to cruise control and a weak finish. This is going to be fun...the teams that finish strong contend for titles.
Garland, Buehrle, Loaiza, and Colon. That's a group you can hang your hat on. Pick up some bullpen help and maybe one bat, and we've got a contender. Whoo hoo!

TornLabrum
06-26-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Jurr
As bad as some of you naysayers proclaim this team to be, we're sitting @ 4.5 back, everything's improving on the field, and we went .600 against two first place teams in the last 6 games. We've also split with Boston. Can't beat it. Watch this team defy their history and finish strong. In 2000, a strong start led to cruise control and a weak finish. This is going to be fun...the teams that finish strong contend for titles.
Garland, Buehrle, Loaiza, and Colon. That's a group you can hang your hat on. Pick up some bullpen help and maybe one bat, and we've got a contender. Whoo hoo!

Before you get too excited, remember we have to play those same two teams six more times in the next six days.

thecell
06-26-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Before you get too excited, remember we have to play those same two teams six more times in the next six days.

Can't we just enjoy this?

kevingrt
06-26-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by thecell

Please, I'm jumping up and down for this room, and getting my @$$ back in the seat for tommorow.

TornLabrum
06-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by thecell

I'm cautioning you for one simple reason. I'll be at the first four of those games. This is never a good omen.

thecell
06-26-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I'm cautioning you for one simple reason. I'll be at the first four of those games. This is never a good omen.

STAY HOME!!! :)

Foulke You
06-26-2003, 02:34 PM
Don't worry Torn, I'll be at the all 3 crosstown games this weekend and I'm 6W-0L this year at games I attend. Hopefully, I can cancel out your jinx. :D:

Gumshoe
06-26-2003, 02:37 PM
I hope they close too, but with that Bullpen, wow, we need big time help. Trade Gordon and get something for him. They won't though. We need Wunsch back, BAD

34 Inch Stick
06-26-2003, 02:44 PM
On a down note we are 4 games under .500.. While we have won 6 out of 10 against first place teams in the last week, this realisticly could have been 10 out of 10.

At the same time my hope-o-meter is rising. I love when my hope-o-meter rises in time for the weekend. :o:

bobj4400
06-26-2003, 02:48 PM
I am trying not to be cynical about this little run of better baseball we have been playing, but the Sox have been teasing us for the last three years. Everytime I think they are ready to turn things around, they rip my heart out and stomp on it. Last night was a prime example.

But lets enjoy this win and not let it get to our heads. We have two more huge series ahead of us.

Iwritecode
06-26-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
I am trying not to be cynical about this little run of better baseball we have been playing, but the Sox have been teasing us for the last three years. Everytime I think they are ready to turn things around, they rip my heart out and stomp on it. Last night was a prime example.

They've been winning 2 of 3 (or 4) the past few weeks. The problem is that usually the losses are so crushing we lose sight of the fact that they continue to win each series. If they can take 2 of 3 in the next 2 series, they should be in pretty good shape going into the AS break and even after.

pudge
06-26-2003, 03:50 PM
Jurr, I'm glad you are there for the positive spin, but I am still way down on this team. The starters have been our saving grace, but we continue to lose winnable games, have no left-handed punch in the lineup, have batters who can't seem to break out of an 80-game slump, have no reliable closer, and a group of players that can't manufacture runs with small ball. I still don't see anything to make me think we have a chance, unless Minnesota continues to collapse.

gosox41
06-26-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400

But lets enjoy this win and not let it get to our heads. We have two more huge series ahead of us.

Before the Twins series, I said the Sox needed to go 6-3 over the next 9 games. They had a chance to start off 3-0 which would put them 3 1/2 out, but in White Sox fashion a little stupid baserunning and lack of timely hitting prevented this.

Let's hope we go 4-2 on the homestand.

Bob

Dan H
06-26-2003, 05:12 PM
The Sox are playing better, and the Twins are proving they are just not that good. But before I get too excited, the Sox have to get to .500 first. After that, I will have some optimism. As for us naysayers, we've been right, at least for the last 40 plus years. It is really time they prove us wrong. Other than that, it is fortunate the Sox are a weak division because the East and certainly the West would have been out of reach.

Paulwny
06-26-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
Other than that, it is fortunate the Sox are a weak division because the East and certainly the West would have been out of reach.

The unbalanced sched. is the only reason the cen div champ will have a winning record.

Jurr
06-26-2003, 05:33 PM
Here's the deal. The Sox have a certain focus and expectation going right now that is great. They have repeatedly been quoted as saying, " We are focused on winning series. If we keep taking these series, we'll be in good shape. " It's so true. If the boys are swinging for the fences and expecting a sweep, then the morale drops with bad losses like last night. But, if they stay focused and realize that they just need to take the series, they come out blazing and win the rubber match, like today.
In 2000, the focus was maximized in the first game of each series. They knew that to come out smoking to open the series usually meant taking it (2 of 3, 3 of 4). They're starting to get to that mode, and that's great. .667 baseball is a great way to be.
I think that the starting pitching is quality enough that we could stay good for a while, granted the hitting keeps improving and the bonehead plays are avoided. This team is beginning to believe in itself, and that's promising.
To the extremely cynical comment of "they're still 4 under .500".... WHO CARES? That will take care of itself in the long run, if they keep playing good ball. The team was ABYSMAL to begin the year. You better thank your lucky stars that they weren't 15 under with the quality of play we were seeing. But, just as the Angels showed last year, being a handful of games under .500 early doesn't mean squat as long as you peak at the right time.
The other thing is that in recent years, we haven't had nearly the quality of mound presence that we have this year. We've been dealing with Buehrle and no help for two years running. Now, you put Colon and Loaiza on the mound with Buehrle, and you've got a group that is very fearsome. Garland is where he needs to be (4th best starter), and he can put together some good outings. If we get a little help to solidify the bullpen, we're as good as gold.
Also, it looks like Greg Walker is slowly getting this team to change its plate approach, and we're consistently putting up 7+ hits up a game. I mean, for the love of Pete, we finally creamed Cy Mays!!!! Combined with the pitching, defense (you'd be surprised where we rank), and a better effort from the bullpen, there's not much stopping this team from turning heads in the second half of this season. That's not an overly optimistic view...that's stating hard nosed facts.
Yes, for all you 'piss in the Cheerios' types, they could conceivably tank, lose focus, and we wave the White Flag once again. But, my friends, it's been a damn long time since we had a pitching staff like this, played defense like this, and we know this team is capable of putting 'crooked numbers' up on the board.
If the latter comes to fruition during the next months, we're looking at a pennant and more. I'm sorry to bring some brightness to your day, but it CAN happen. And the scary thing is, folks, that it REALLY CAN happen.