PDA

View Full Version : Big Frank at 1st

Fisk72
06-26-2003, 01:34 PM
I was just wondering how you guys felt Big Frank was doing defensively since he made the switch to 1st. IMO, I think he's done a pretty good job. Perhaps I was expecting the worst - or that his improved hitting is keeping me distracted from his fielding - but I gotta say I'm happy. What do ya think?

kevingrt
06-26-2003, 01:39 PM
No real problem... He hasn't totally blown any games for us. And I don't remember that many errors so far. He can play 1st base adequatly and I have no problem seeing him there the rest of the season.

voodoochile
06-26-2003, 01:46 PM
His glove is fine. He doesn't make quite as many plays with his glove as konerko, but he is as good on the scoop and I actually like his footwork on the bag better.

Besides, who plays a 1B for their defense?

MarkEdward
06-26-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Besides, who plays a 1B for their defense?

J.T. Snow?

Hangar18
06-26-2003, 02:30 PM
I think honestly, that EVEN WE started believing the MEDIAS
saying Frank was a bad 1st baseman. Last nite, he made
some damn good pu's out of the turf. Anyone remember
the first game he played at first this Year? I was watching,
and remembered how weird it was to see him out there again,
(and how Natural he looked at 1st) and said to myself,
why is he on the bench again? He looked Excellent even though he hadnt been at 1st in I dont know how long. AMazing really. The guy is a natural and gifted athlete....Frank should get our props once again. I love Big Frank

34 Inch Stick
06-26-2003, 02:38 PM
Hangar, just before he was made a full time DH Frank was absolutely butchering the position. The most glaring weakness was his throwing. There were several instances of the pitcher having a guy picked off and Frank throwing the ball into left field. I think the bad image was what he left us with and that is what stuck. He was O.K. early in his career and he seems to have returned to that level.

Kilroy
06-26-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Hangar, just before he was made a full time DH Frank was absolutely butchering the position. The most glaring weakness was his throwing. There were several instances of the pitcher having a guy picked off and Frank throwing the ball into left field. I think the bad image was what he left us with and that is what stuck. He was O.K. early in his career and he seems to have returned to that level.

That was all mental. He had it in his mind that he shouldn't be out there. And that combined w/ the media nit-picking his play there made for some poor showings by Frank.

hold2dibber
06-26-2003, 04:13 PM
Frank was never good with the glove, but he was adequate. However, his throwing became worse and worse before he was switched to DH. I don't remember him having to make any throws yet on DP grounders or successful pick-off attempts. He seemed to have a little bit of "Ankiel syndrome" going; hopefully he's over it.

Foulke You
06-26-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
That was all mental. He had it in his mind that he shouldn't be out there. And that combined w/ the media nit-picking his play there made for some poor showings by Frank.

I agree. Most of Frank's problems from the past were between the ears. In addition to those throwing errors I seem to remember teams testing him with bunts down the 1B line repeatedly and Frank flubbed a couple of them which led to him telling the media something like "I'm a DH, I shouldn't be out there embarassing myself."

I've always felt Frank was a more than adequate first baseman.