PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Versatile gone...

Randar68
06-26-2003, 12:47 PM
Josh Paul refused his assignment to AAA and became a free agent today.

So long, Josh!

Time to retire the tag: :versatile

Fridaythe13thJason
06-26-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

So long, Josh!

Well, if we look at it seriously, wouldn't he have been an idiot to go back to AAA at this point? He can latch on somewhere and maybe even stay with the big club. It's well worth the risk for him.

Foulke You
At least his final Sox moment was beating the Cubs. So long Josh.

pudge
I know we have plenty of Josh Paul haters on here, but the guy deserved to be on this team over Sandy Alomar.

He was good enough to steal a play-off spot over Johnson in 2000, yet now he's not even good enough to beat out a worthless veteran catcher? This is the same club that cut Carlton Fisk. We can't cut Sandy Alomar?

voodoochile
06-26-2003, 12:51 PM
At the least, his trade value was never higher than right now. He might have made a decent throw in. No such luck...

duke of dorwood
06-26-2003, 01:12 PM
I agree on the Alomar issue-never made sense to me. We arent exactly deep in even mediocre catching.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-26-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by pudge
I know we have plenty of Josh Paul haters on here, but the guy deserved to be on this team over Sandy Alomar.

He was good enough to steal a play-off spot over Johnson in 2000, yet now he's not even good enough to beat out a worthless veteran catcher? This is the same club that cut Carlton Fisk. We can't cut Sandy Alomar?

Josh Paul is infinitely more valuable to the team than Sandy Alomar anytime he is on the DL, which of course he spends well over 50 percent of the time inhabiting.

If the Sox want Sandy Alomar hanging around the clubhouse, they should make him a freakin' coach--not a wasted spot on the roster! He would be a lot cheaper to keep on the coaching staff than another member of the MLBPA, too.

:KW
"Sandy as a coach! Holy Toledo, why didn't *I* think of that???"

soxrme
06-26-2003, 03:26 PM
Good luck to Josh. Well DAVER will be happy now. Hope Alomar can last, he did make it through today.

hose
06-26-2003, 04:53 PM
I hope things work out for Josh, he's a good guy.

gosox41
06-26-2003, 05:36 PM

So long, Josh!

What's funny is the Sox had him on their roster at the beginning of the season because he was out of options and the Sox were afraid some team would claim him off waivers. Well, he's cleared waivers twice and elected free agency. It's mind boggling how the Sox think so highly of their talent and continue to overrate it.

Bob

PaleHoseGeorge
06-26-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
It's mind boggling how the Sox think so highly of their talent and continue to overrate it.

I think you've identified the EXACT reason why this will be the 87th consecutive season without a South Side world championship.

Randar68
06-27-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by soxrme
Good luck to Josh. Well DAVER will be happy now.

Me too, although he is a great guy. Hope he catches on somewhere as a 2nd or 3rd catcher. I don't know why he elected FA, the Sox definitely had him in an opportunity to get PT periodically.

DrCrawdad
06-27-2003, 06:15 AM
Me too, although he is a great guy. Hope he catches on somewhere as a 2nd or 3rd catcher. I don't know why he elected FA, the Sox definitely had him in an opportunity to get PT periodically.

I don't fault Josh at all for selecting FA at this point. Maybe I'm wrong, but Josh can now see if some other team would put him on the ML roster. If nothing better is offered to Josh then he could sign back with the Sox, perhaps sign a minor league contract.

For all Josh's faults and/or lack of abilities I do admire his heart. It was nice that the Sox had a player who grew up a Sox fan and strongly desired to play with the team.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs were to sign Josh. Whether it be with the Cubs or some other team that Josh latches onto, I wonder if we can expect the heretofor mandatory, "The White Sox Done Me Wrong, wow I'm glad to be gone from that organization" article from Josh. Of course if that article is written it's then a given that Lip posts a quote from Josh...