PDA

View Full Version : White Sox CD

Steve Bartman
06-26-2003, 10:13 AM
Some friends and I thought it would be a good idea to make a White Sox CD to listen on the way down to the Cell. Do you guys have any ideas of some songs. Of course some steam and the stones will have to be on it. The songs could be ones you hear at the ballpark, maybe player intros when they come up to bat, songs dave wills plays, or just songs that you remember at the ball park during the golden eras of the sox like during the winning ugly team or 1993. Any ideas?

Dadawg_77
06-26-2003, 10:16 AM
Rolling Stones - I can't get no Satisfaction.

LuvSox
06-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Thunderstruck---AC/DC

Heavy----Collective Soul

Give Me The Carcass Of Ernie Banks---------I'm drawing a blank on the artist.

Steve Bartman
06-26-2003, 10:30 AM
yeah thunderstruck is a classic on the south side. That has to be on the CD

FJA
06-26-2003, 10:31 AM
I actually have a CD I made at the end of the 2000 season, but a lot of those songs aren't used anymore.

Nevertheless, some of the ones that would still be good ...

Thunderstruck--AC/DC

Rock and Roll, Part 2--Gary Glitter

South Side Irish (of course, this is probably more of a personal selection based on location)

MLB on Fox theme

Going the Distance from Rocky (I think that's the name of the song from Rocky when Hurt used to come up ... either way, you'll recognize the song when you hear it)

South Side--Moby

The "White Sox Sonata" (what Hawk used to call the song on the scoreboard as the team came out ... I have no idea where I got it ... some MP3 engine)

Welcome to the Jungle--GN'R (I don't even remember if they ever played this, but it's such an awesome song in sporting venues, I had to include it)

Twist and Shout--The Beatles

Back in Black--AC/DC

Take Me Out to the Ball Game, My Kind of Town (Chicago Is), Chicago--Sinatra

Shout

We Will Rock You--Queen (Predictable, but essential)

Na, Na, Hey, Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye--Steam (No way you can leave this song off)

Sweet Home Chicago--The Blues Brothers (Personally, I don't think there's any way you can leave this one off either)

An additional tip: Even if it seems funny when you're making the CD, avoid novelty songs like, oh, I don't know, "Who Let the Dogs Out." Two and a half years later, it's not funny anymore, and the CD is un-playable in public.

Hope this helps.

MRKARNO
06-26-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by FJA

Isnt that by the temptations?

FJA
06-26-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Isnt that by the temptations?

Not sure if the Temptations ever performed it, but it's by Steam, and the version that everyone knows is performed by Steam.

DrCrawdad
06-26-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Cubsloseagain911
Some friends and I thought it would be a good idea to make a White Sox CD to listen on the way down to the Cell. Do you guys have any ideas of some songs. Of course some steam and the stones will have to be on it. The songs could be ones you hear at the ballpark, maybe player intros when they come up to bat, songs dave wills plays, or just songs that you remember at the ball park during the golden eras of the sox like during the winning ugly team or 1993. Any ideas?

It's Time, Elvis Costello
45, Elvis Costello (for Carlos Lee)
Lee Elia, The Uncensored Version
Centerfield, John Fogerty
Talking Baseball, not sure of the artist
Let's Go Go Go White Sox!, Captain Stubby and the Buccaneers

PaleHoseGeorge
06-26-2003, 01:07 PM
You can find some South Side attitude at WSI following this link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/SoxSounds.htm) . They're not exactly Top-40 material, but the Sox aren't the most-popular team in America--or Chicago, for that matter.

:)

cheeses_h_rice
06-26-2003, 01:40 PM
Blitzkrieg Bop by the Ramones ("Hey-ho! Let's go!")

VeeckAsInWreck
06-26-2003, 01:52 PM
I can't believe no one has said this one yet:

Winning Ugly -Rolling Stones

Other than that, everyone has pretty much given some good suggestions.

Also, I don't know if they have these at Kazaa or any other mp3 site but you may want to add in some Nancy Faust songs. It will give it the going to the ballpark feel.

Other than that, Go SOX!

White Stocking
06-26-2003, 02:53 PM
Since there is a lot of Stones love going around - how about the obvious - Paint it Black

And as an ode to most of the White Sox roster in terms of the Media - how about Michael Jackson's "Leave me Alone"

Procol Harum
06-26-2003, 03:03 PM
It goes without saying--"A Whiter [Sox] Shade of Pale [Hose]" by the British rock sensation, Procol Harum... :smile:

wirtzbeer55
06-26-2003, 03:28 PM
You mentioned the possible use of the 'up to the plate' music for various hitters... In the public interest here is that list for 2003:

Willie Harris: Not sure, but after a hit "Little Willie" by Sweet
D'Angelo Jimenez: "Get Busy" by Sean Paul
Jose Valentin: Various, but includes "You Got Me Rocking" by The Rolling Stones
Frank Thomas: "X Gonna Give it to You" by DMX (early in the year exclusively, now only sometimes)
Magglio Ordonez: No idea, some sort of latin music. Occasionaly they do use "I Don't Wanna Lose Your Love" by The Outfield for him, though.
Paul Konerko: "Crazy Train" by Ozzy Osbourne
Carlos Lee: "I Can" by NAS, "Ignition (Remix)" by R. Kelly and of course after a hit "Panama" by Van Halen
Joe Crede: "Boys of Summer" by Don Henley
Miguel Olivo: See my comment for Magglio.

Others
Brian Daubach: "Sledge Hammer" by Peter Gabriel
Rick White: "A Country Boy Can Survive" by Hank Williams Jr.
Aaron Rowand: "Pts. of Athrty" by Linkin Park

Hope this helps.

kermittheefrog
06-26-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by FJA

Well you could just leave it off because it sucks ass. It's cool for in games but the Steam version is one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life.

mike squires
06-26-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Well you could just leave it off because it sucks ass. It's cool for in games but the Steam version is one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life.

That's the beauty of music, everyone has the right to their opinion but no way...the Steam version is awesome. When that song gets going with those drums and bell type sounds to it, it's just cool. I remember my sister had the record when I was about 8 and listened to it over and over.

I'll also never forget the crowd singing it occapella sp? during the last night game at old Comiskey.

Dadawg_77
07-03-2003, 02:31 PM
A couple more to add to the list due to recent delevopments,

AC/DC - Back in Black or maybe

Rolling Stones/GNR (depending on which version your like) - Sympathy for the Devil or
I don't Know who did it - Devil came down to Georgia. Since the turnaround this team made maybe some made a deal with the devil.

doublem23
07-03-2003, 06:37 PM
You can't have a White Sox CD without "Let's Go, Go-Go White Sox," by Captain Stubby and the Buccaneers.

I would also add Lee Elia's tirade, but that's just me.

Bucktown
07-03-2003, 08:11 PM
Centerfield by John Fogarty (http://www.theweiders.com/baseball/Centerfield.mp3)
Take Me Out To The Ball Game (http://www.theweiders.com/baseball/TakeMeOut.mp3)
Baseball Song - Kenny Rogers (http://www.theweiders.com/baseball/KennyRogers.mp3)

Does anyone else cry when they listen to the Kenny Rogers song? Not that I do - for all you know.

monkeypants
07-03-2003, 08:17 PM
F--- Wit Dre Day by Dr. Dre.
It has nothing to do with the Sox except it mentions wearing a White Sox cap.
I've got nothing.

Nick@Nite
07-04-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by monkeypants
F--- Wit Dre Day by Dr. Dre.
It has nothing to do with the Sox except it mentions wearing a White Sox cap.

Dre was referring to Eazy E's White Sox hat. Btw, Dr. Dre rules!

My list goes a lil' sumpin' like this;

"Annihilate this Week" Black Flag
"Nobody's but Fault but Mine" Led Zeppelin
"Car Thief" Beastie Boys
"Rooster" Alice in Chains
"Gonna Raise Hell" Cheap Trick
"Seek & Destroy" Metallica
"I want so much more" Rollins Band
"Wynona's Big Brown Beaver" Primus

None of the above have anything to do with sports in general, or baseball & the White Sox in particular... these jams simply kick ass.

monkeypants
07-04-2003, 02:42 AM
If you want to get technical it refers to shooting Eazy E in the head while wearing his White Sox hat. Nonetheless, at the time Dre repeatedly wore Sox merchandise and Sox hats were prominent on Dre's head and on a few extra's heads in the video of the previously mentioned song.