PDA

View Full Version : Twins vs Sox....the painful truth

soxfan45
06-26-2003, 09:25 AM
Last night was so frustrating to me because its painfully clear that the Twins are such a superior ball club to us because they understand baseball so much better than our club. I don't know if they are collectively smarter, better coached, or simply more disciplined than our club but one thing is clear....The Sox have a long way to go before they are the Twins.

1) Yea we have bigger hitters who potentially can hit the ball farther, but our guys are so undisciplined at the plate. You keep hearing DJ say that situational hitting is so important. Frank swining for the fences on 3-0, Mags looking silly on 2-0, and the one of the worst situational hitters, Lee, trying to hit a grand slam against Hawkins. That idiot needs to first make contact. Our big guys have been a bust.

2) The saddest thing is how unprepared and how little our players understand fundmeentals. This Jose, D'Angelo, Harris up the middle thing is disgusting. Harris doens't know how to play center field, there were 2 runs given up there last night. Valentine cannot catch nor throw the ball....and the worst yet is Jimenez. I know he hits sometimes, but we cannot afford a player out there who has cost us so many games because he is simply not in the game. By Manuels own admission, Jimenez is not giving 100%. How can we afford to keep doing this to ourselves.

3) I hate to say this but poor Manuel has to go. Its not because of his pitching decisions or anything in particular I can point to, but its because this club isn't doing what most good clubs do, that is LEARN FROM THEIR MISTAKES. Our club continues to let "punch and judy" teams like the Twins out-hustle, out think, and out play us with a greater intentsity than our "go through the motions" guys. Manuel has no credibility in our club anymore. There are no consequences for mediocrity or mistakes.

Blueprint1
06-26-2003, 09:42 AM
All i have to say is, yes you are right.

Procol Harum
06-26-2003, 09:53 AM
Pretty much sums up the situation, I'd say.

Clarkdog
06-26-2003, 10:54 AM
I would agree with your post. The reason the Sox lose so frequently at the Metrodome is that you CANNOT make mistakes there. Mistakes are magnified and the Twins take advantage of them. It's not so much that the Twins win games as much as other teams LOSE them in the Metrodome.

The Sox NEVER learn from the mistakes they make there.

-Misplay a fly ball in front of you and it's gonna be a double
-Misplay a gap shot or ball off the fence/baggie and its gonna be a triple/inside the park homerun
-Sink a throw to first and you'll have a man on second/third
-Throw strikes: If the Twins get a leadoff man on they usually figure out how to score him
-Baserunners are treasures there if you have a lot of them you can likely score them if you simply try to make contact. If anything it should be easy to manufacture runs at the Dome. With the fast turf balls can find their way to gaps on the infield.

The Twins are a good team, but are in NO way a great one. They understand their home field and that to win you cannot make these types of mistakes.

Gumshoe
06-26-2003, 10:56 AM
It remains to be seen if they are truly better than us. Obviously, their relief pitching is far superior. However, I'd like to point out:

Lee, trying to hit a grand slam against Hawkins. That idiot needs to first make contact

He wasn't trying to hit a grand slam. Hawkins is tough, and he throws hard. He got down in the count. What do you expect Lee to do, swing softly? Carlos's main problem is that he's got 2 strikes on him in the blink of an eye.

Harris is hitting, and although Rowand is far superior defensively, we won't see Harris move until he just doesn't hit. Manuel thinks he is good in CF.

I'm not sure where the Jose bashing comes from. He's done a lot with the bat lately and made some great plays in the field. He had an error on Tuesday but it didn't hurt us. Unfortunately, if we blow leads, we are DONE, because we won't come back. Rely on Koch again? When is someone going to get it, that Koch just doesn't have it? I think I'd rather give Rick White a shot again ...

Gum

Lip Man 1
06-26-2003, 10:57 AM
The Twins are a team perfectly suited to their "ballpark."

A bunch of slap hitting, gap hitters who can all run and catch the ball better then just about anybody in baseball.

One can only wish the Sox were like that....oh yea, they play hard and all seem to actually give a damn.

Lip

Fridaythe13thJason
06-26-2003, 12:57 PM
Well, I can honestly say that the Twins play better defense than us. Other than that, I don't really have any comment. They hit to the opposite field a few times last night.

We can still easily win this series tonight, and easily win this division. I'm not sure I see the problem. Sweeps don't come that easily...taking 2 of 3 is always the goal, or should be.

Gumshoe
06-26-2003, 02:32 PM
With all the ineptitude surrounding the Sox, it's crazy, but they will always have a chance because you know what? The Twins just aren't that good. Our O right now (how bad it is) is still better than the Twins' is. Our starting pitching is at worst a wash, our D hasn't been the problem, although their D is better. they beat us only in one real category. Bullpen. That's what's deciding these games, people, Bullpen. Not D. Bullpen.

The Twins won't last. Will we ever get above .500 though? 85 games might win the Central. I'm not impressed with the twins. Fire JM, pleeeeeeeeeeeeez, please, pretty please with sugar on top. Then we might have a chance.

g

kevingrt
06-26-2003, 02:37 PM
We can still take two out of three guys, do not get to down, even though we blow every other game. They're up 5-0 right now in 7th, I think we can hold it.

T Dog
06-27-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The Twins are a team perfectly suited to their "ballpark."

A bunch of slap hitting, gap hitters who can all run and catch the ball better then just about anybody in baseball.

One can only wish the Sox were like that....oh yea, they play hard and all seem to actually give a damn.

Lip

I don't know how many out there are watching tonight's Twins game. I live in Brewers country, and I have tonight's Milwaukee-Minnesota game on television after having to listen to the Sox beat the Cubs on the radio today. The Twins still have time to win this game. They just scored their first run in the sixth, but they're still down by five.

Most interesting is the way they're losing. Two outfield misplays by the Twins helped the Brewers immensely. The Twins lost two out of three to the last-place Brewers in Milwaukee last weekend and aren't playing well through six tonight. In a rivalry game in front of a big crowd where they should be motivated, they weren't playing hard through the first six and didn't look like they gave a damn.

voodoochile
06-27-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by T Dog
I don't know how many out there are watching tonight's Twins game. I live in Brewers country, and I have tonight's Milwaukee-Minnesota game on television after having to listen to the Sox beat the Cubs on the radio today. The Twins still have time to win this game. They just scored their first run in the sixth, but they're still down by five.

Most interesting is the way they're losing. Two outfield misplays by the Twins helped the Brewers immensely. The Twins lost two out of three to the last-place Brewers in Milwaukee last weekend and aren't playing well through six tonight. In a rivalry game in front of a big crowd where they should be motivated, they weren't playing hard through the first six and didn't look like they gave a damn.

Well, the BrewCrew is now up 9-1. Now if we can just get the Cardinals to stop giving away runs... KC has 5 runs on 3 hits and 3 Cardinal errors... 5-2 Royals in the 8th.