PDA

View Full Version : Release Jimenez

CHISOXFAN13
06-26-2003, 12:09 AM
This happens too often.

Miles is hitting. 320 with eight homers, 15 doubles and 22 RBI.

MarkEdward
06-26-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
This happens too often.

Miles is hitting. 320 with eight homers, 15 doubles and 22 RBI.

Yeah, with a mere 15 walks, and his slugging percentage is rapidly falling.

One more time (and Randar, Daver, Andrew, and all the other minor league experts will probably agree with me): AARON MILES IS NOT THE ANSWER. He's like a bad version of Jason Tyner or Brent Abernathy or Jay Canizaro.

MRKARNO
06-26-2003, 12:20 AM
I'll take Luis Castillo

thezeker
06-26-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Yeah, with a mere 15 walks, and his slugging percentage is rapidly falling.

One more time (and Randar, Daver, Andrew, and all the other minor league experts will probably agree with me): AARON MILES IS NOT THE ANSWER. He's like a bad version of Jason Tyner or Brent Abernathy or Jay Canizaro.

We don't know that Miles cannot hit up here and his numbers show he deserves a chance.

Send Jiminez down to get his head together and learn some fundamentals and bring Miles up. He looked good in the spring and looks good now. It's time we sent a message to guys like Jiminez. Get your head out of your butt, learn some fundamentals, or ride that bus at AAA. Jiminez is a nice hitter but the rest of his lackadaisical play is a disgrace.

A guy like him needs to be read thew riot act. He will either learn to play like a major leaguer or stay down in the minors until he does. A little fear just might be the motivation he needs. He's never going to change staying up here. He's too damn comfortable.

A.T. Money
06-26-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by thezeker
We don't know that Miles cannot hit up here and his numbers show he deserves a chance.

Send Jiminez down to get his head together and learn some fundamentals and bring Miles up. He looked good in the spring and looks good now. It's time we sent a message to guys like Jiminez. Get your head out of your butt, learn some fundamentals, or ride that bus at AAA. Jiminez is a nice hitter but the rest of his lackadaisical play is a disgrace.

A guy like him needs to be read thew riot act. He will either learn to play like a major leaguer or stay down in the minors until he does. A little fear just might be the motivation he needs. He's never going to change staying up here. He's too damn comfortable.

Preach on brotha!

MarkEdward
06-26-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by thezeker
[B]We don't know that Miles cannot hit up here and his numbers show he deserves a chance.

We know he can't hit up here because of his minor league numbers.

Send Jiminez down to get his head together and learn some fundamentals and bring Miles up. He looked good in the spring and looks good now.

No, he doesn't look good right now. He doesn't draw walks, his base running blows, and his defense is horrid.

Bringing Aaron Miles up= White Flag version 2003.

WSI has a bad case of "backup quarterback syndrome."

THE_HOOTER
06-26-2003, 10:01 AM
Put Harris at 2nd, and Rowand out in centerfield.

Jimenez is a bad fundamental player-that won't change with a stint in the minors.

Arent the Cardinals looking for a 2nd baseman.

I'll take a mid/low level prospect for him.

Just get rid of him.

SoxxoS
06-26-2003, 10:03 AM
Nobody thought Rocco Baldelli could hit in the majors either.

Baseball is NOT an "all numbers" game. I would take a guy that hits .250 plays decent defense that hustles and is a clutch player (those are the guys that win games) than a guy like Jimenez who is lazy and just recently, BAD.

CHISOXFAN13
06-26-2003, 11:19 AM
The point of the thread is that Miles hustles and plays hard all the time. Who on the current roster does? I'm sick of watching crap.

And I'm sure all of the "experts" on this board thought Magglio Ordonez would be a can't miss stud when he was in the system. A guy is hitting .320 and you automatically assume he won't hit up here. Nice reasoning.

Randar68
06-26-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Are you kidding?

Dadawg_77
06-26-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Baseball is NOT an "all numbers" game. I would take a guy that hits .250 plays decent defense that hustles and is a clutch player (those are the guys that win games) than a guy like Jimenez who is lazy and just recently, BAD.

First off, there is no such thing as clutch players. Its concept that has no merit in facts. Secondly, Charlotte, if I remember correctly, is a bandbox, and very friendly to hitters. So anything a hitter does down there needs to be discounted more then usual for a Major League equivalent.

Spiff
06-26-2003, 11:43 AM
I'm pretty sure Jimenez is out of options anyway so there's no way he'd accept a demotion.

One play that may or may not have cost the game and you people want the guy's head. Quit whining, we know this team is terrible already.

MarkEdward
06-26-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
The point of the thread is that Miles hustles and plays hard all the time. Who on the current roster does? I'm sick of watching crap.

How do you know that Miles "hustles and plays hard all the time?" Can I see some evidence to back this up?

Also, everyone here seems to think that Miles is a great base runner and "fundamentally sound." His stats don't show that. Last year, IIRC, he committed plenty of errors. His career stolen base percentage is 62%, which is very bad. This year, he's two for ten on the base paths.

Tell me again: why should I be impressed with Aaron Miles?

And I'm sure all of the "experts" on this board thought Magglio Ordonez would be a can't miss stud when he was in the system. A guy is hitting .320 and you automatically assume he won't hit up here. Nice reasoning.

First, I'm not impressed with Miles' .320 batting average because he's not drawing any walks. That will hurt him if he ever makes it to the bigs.

Second, if you were to ask me in 1997 whether Mags would be a solid MLB hitter, I would've said yes. As a 23 year old hitter, he put up an .840 OPS for Nashville (former Sox AAA affiliate). The difference between Mags and Miles is that a) Mags was 23 when he had his good AAA season (Miles is now 27) and b) Mags could draw a walk. Also, Nashville isn't a hitter's park like Charlotte is.

duke of dorwood
06-26-2003, 03:24 PM
Miles deserves a chance, Harris got several.