PDA

View Full Version : Filling Holes Rebuilding Fan Base

Notsososox
08-22-2001, 12:25 AM
The sox have a great supply of right handed pitching and corner fielders and dhers.

The sox need middle infielders, veteran leadership, lefty bats, and a bonafide lead off hitter.

Paul Sullivan suggests picking up Ventura to help him revive his career and rebuild the fan base. Is Robin washed up or does he need a change of venue?

Ventura could replace Perry as Crede insurance. The emergence of Tim Hummel as a ml batter provides and option for both 2b and 3b but not ss.

Valentin is a leader and a decent bat but management was right seek a defensive upgrade at ss. He could still manage 400 abs as a super infielder utility man at 3B 2B & SS.

Durham will be in the last year of his contract next season so its worth seeing if that motivation moves his play up a notch. This season has been his first major back slide, is it a trend or an abberation?

Rowand and Borchard seem the real thing at the plate but will either pan out as a CF. Add Mario Valensula who has had a major breakout season and you have a huge glut at the corners.

Of Rowand Borchard Lee Leifer Ordonez Valensula who to keep and who to deal for that leadoff slick fielding shortstop.

Konerko and Lee should both be kept until Frank shows whether his injury has diminished skills. If he comes back roaring one will need to go to benefit the player and the Sox.

Pitching thinned by injuries this year should be fairly deep in comparison to other teams.

Will Simas be resigned? Can Corwin Malone move as quickly through the system as Burly? He's having one hell of a season and all the majors seem to move lefties along asap. Osuna and Barcelo can be great mid relief if they recover. Barcelo especially may never get over his series of arm problems.

Guerrier, Almonte, Wylie also will merit a close look in spring not to mention Wunsch, Parque, Biddle, Ginter, Wells, and Lowe if he continues to slide.

Burly, Wright, and Garland seem to be the core of a great rotation at least this week. A veteran presence may help calm the growing pains of all these young arms.

Packaging pitching and corner fielders in several trades and free agent signings should seek to net a leadoff hitter that plays ss or cf, another lefty bat for Leifer insurance, and a veteran mid rotation starter.

Youve gotta give something to get something.

doublem23
08-22-2001, 12:35 AM
Simas probably won't be back...

Ventura won't be back, no matter how much I hope he will, unless Crede COMPLETELY falls through...

Agreed we are VERY deep in pitching talent...

Agreed we are VERY deep in corner outfielders/1st baseman/DH guys... Time to start trimming those 2 categories down and filling some needed holes (#1 pitcher & catcher)...

Jerry_Manuel
08-22-2001, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Simas probably won't be back...
Ventura won't be back, no matter how much I hope he will, unless Crede COMPLETELY falls through...
Agreed we are VERY deep in pitching talent...
Agreed we are VERY deep in corner outfielders/1st baseman/DH guys... Time to start trimming those 2 categories down and filling some needed holes (#1 pitcher & catcher)...

I think Simas will be back, maybe I'm crazy.
No to Ventura! He isn't the player he was when he was here. It is Joe Crede time. Again maybe I'm crazy but none of the above plans about trading corner/DH guys will happen.

doublem23
08-22-2001, 12:51 AM
Well, one of us are crazy.

I hope Simas comes back, but with Osuna, Howry, and such resigned, as well as the emergence of younger guys such as Glover, I don't see Reinsdorf placing priority on ANOTHER pitcher.

Yeah, I think that Lee, Konerko, Canseco, and Liefer will be here next year, but if one goes, by by Jose!

Jerry_Manuel
08-22-2001, 01:00 AM
Well, one of us are crazy.

I hope Simas comes back, but with Osuna, Howry, and such resigned, as well as the emergence of younger guys such as Glover, I don't see Reinsdorf placing priority on ANOTHER pitcher.

Yeah, I think that Lee, Konerko, Canseco, and Liefer will be here next year, but if one goes, by by Jose!

Well with Simas coming off an injury it wouldn't shock me to see him get a one year deal. Canseco is going to be gone.

doublem23
08-22-2001, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Well with Simas coming off an injury it wouldn't shock me to see him get a one year deal. Canseco is going to be gone.

Although it wouldn't shock me to see Simas get inked (or offered, at least) a 1 year deal, it wouldn't shock me if he departed, too.

Jerry_Manuel
08-22-2001, 01:07 AM
Although it wouldn't shock me to see Simas get inked (or offered, at least) a 1 year deal, it wouldn't shock me if he departed, too.

Well the only thing we can do is sit back and wait.

:KW
If Bill leaves we will call up my guy Barry and turn him loose on the AL.

doublem23
08-22-2001, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Well the only thing we can do is sit back and wait.

And that sometimes scares me.

Anyways, on a completely unrelated topic, I think one thing that was missed in the original post, and it is something the Sox are finally starting to address is Comiskey Park.

Let me set the record straight. I like Comiskey. I have no problem with it. Unfortunately, I A) Am not in the majority and B) am on the poorer side of the economy, and probably always will be, so I am willing to take a punch in the face for the good of the team.

It is time to give in and listen to the morons and make the place "more friendly." Personally, I prefer the clean, modern stadium with great sight lines over the dankish, smelly, out-dated, and frankly, falling apart Fenway (I'm using Fenway since I've been there, but I've never been to Wrigley, though, accorinding to you guys, it ain't great. I guess I will assume that Fenway and Wrigley are somewhat similar).

I know a lot of us don't want the Sox to make the park more Wrigley-esque, and frankly, I am one of them, but, I say, I'd rather win in a Wrigley knock off than lose in current Comiskey!

BTW, If you think the upper deck is bad at Comiskey, go to the upper level (Technically, its not the upper deck... They're called the ceiling seats) at Fenway. That scared the ***** out of me. The whole place cracks and creaks, and you spend more time hoping the place doesnt fall apart rather than watching the game.