PDA

View Full Version : Why can't the Sox hit Joe Mays?

gosox41
06-25-2003, 05:26 PM
The great Joe Mays is pitcing tonight. If the past is any indicator, I'd expect the Sox not to score much at all. The question is why do the Sox have such a hard time with this guy. It's like anyone who puts on a Sox uniform becomes allergic to Joe Mays.

Today Olivo, Harris, Jimenez, and Daubach all will be in the lineup against Mays. Most of these guys were only up towards the end of last season. Maybe they can figure out the curse of Joe Mays.

Bob

Eddie Gaedel
06-25-2003, 05:32 PM
Mays has great movement on his sinker. The SOX can't hit it.

Foulke You
06-25-2003, 05:36 PM
Mays throws the type of pitches that our hitters hate. Slow with lots of movement. He has a great sinker and locates his pitches well. Dead fastball hitters like Carlos Lee and Jose Valentin have much difficulty against Cy Mays. I've heard some Sox players say in the past that they have a hard time picking up his wind-up. I believe much of it now is psychological with this team. They've got it in their heads that they can't hit this guy which gives Mays a mental edge over the White Sox.

Randar68
06-25-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
They've got it in their heads that they can't hit this guy which gives Mays a mental edge over the White Sox.

A marsupial has a mental edge against this team.

gosox41
06-25-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Mays throws the type of pitches that our hitters hate. Slow with lots of movement. He has a great sinker and locates his pitches well. Dead fastball hitters like Carlos Lee and Jose Valentin have much difficulty against Cy Mays. I've heard some Sox players say in the past that they have a hard time picking up his wind-up. I believe much of it now is psychological with this team. They've got it in their heads that they can't hit this guy which gives Mays a mental edge over the White Sox.

That's what I think. I'm sure some hitters will struggle against him, jsut like any other pitcher but he is hittable. It's not like he's having a great year. I always thought a guy like Frank hit the non-fastball ptichers better and loved the off speed stuff. At least Konerko won't be in the line up, he's a pure fastball hitter.

Maybe the Sox will step it up for once, though I get the feeling Mays rightly feels he owns the Sox.

Bob

Foulke You
06-25-2003, 05:56 PM
I think today's game rests solely on the shoulders of Garland. We're most likely only going to get 2 or 3 runs against Mays. It is up to Garland to do what Loaiza did yesterday and keep us in the ballgame with a chance to win.

daveb816
06-25-2003, 06:19 PM
I know this is hard to believe, but Sox did pound Mays in 2 starts late last season at Comiskey. It's back to usual this season, however.

MisterB
06-25-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
A marsupial has a mental edge against this team.

Depends on the marsupial. Koalas are pretty smart hitters and can work the count well, Kangaroos tend to jump at breaking stuff on the outside half, and Opossum just look pretty dead at the plate.

RKMeibalane
06-25-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I always thought a guy like Frank hit the non-fastball ptichers better and loved the off speed stuff.

Frank did manage to hit a homerun against Mays back in April. No one else has managed to do much when facing Mays. He owns the Sox.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-25-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Frank did manage to hit a homerun against Mays back in April. No one else has managed to do much when facing Mays. He owns the Sox.

I say the White Sox own him tonight!!!

Konerkoholic
06-25-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
At least Konerko won't be in the line up, he's a pure fastball hitter.

Bob

Konerko's a hitter? Good lord!