PDA

View Full Version : Santo and Hughes arent that smart are they?

Hangar18
06-25-2003, 03:07 PM
I just overheard the following conversation on WGN (stupid flub
fan has the game on here) RS-Ron Santo PH-Pat Hughes

PH: one more game tomorrow Ronny, and we head to the
Southside to play the sox. What a series that was
RS: (throat raspiness/clearing) You know pat, I wanted to
mention something about that series.
PH: whats that ron?
RS: This game seems like a Bigger game to me than the white sox games were
PH: the series was sold out Ronny
RS: last nite, we had what 40,000 here last nite?
PH: thats right, BIGGEST crowd of the year last nite
RS: I think these games might be bigger than the sox
games were. its more of a division rivalry. just seems to be
bigger to me
PH: These Brewer games are turning into big games
RS: I was really glad to see the Brewers come back to
the NATIONAL LEAGUE pat. Its so good for baseball and look
at this crowd. Look at the rivalry its created
PH: Thats right ronny. the Braves used to be in Milwaukee
RS: (oblivious to last statement by PH) Selig did the right
thing. I mean (raspy throat again) look at the people, everyone
is into the game right now.
PH At some point, these 2 teams will someday be fighting it out for 1st place, and can you imagine the RIVALRY that will be
when that happens?
RS: oh yeahhhh, thats going to be a lot of fun. 40,000 fans in August, cheering their teams on

I SCREAMED out when I heard this, because Every Stupid Cub
Fan who heard this transmission is immediately going to think
the Cubs and Brewers had this rivalry all the time. I thought to
myself....HEY RONNY YOU DUMB ASS, The BRAVES MOVED.
theyre in ATLANTA now. They have one of your pitchers as a matter of fact now. theyre gone. The Brewers Played the Sox
all the time. In fact, back when they were in the AL, the stadiums were ALWAYS FILLED with SOX/BREWERS fans and THAT WAS THE RIVALRY LONG BEFORE THIS ONE WAS ARTIFICIALLY CREATED. how can ONE TEAM, ITS FANS, THE MEDIA THAT COVERS THEM, be so out of touch with REALITY??

MetalliSox
06-25-2003, 03:15 PM
And during all of this, a baseball game is being played.

Cubs had a long extra inning game besides the 17 inning one vs. Milwaukee and I was in the car and had it on just to listen to something. There was a guy on 2nd who could of been the winning run and Hughes is like, "The 2-1 pitch..."
Then Santo interupts and starts rambling about 2-1 pitches and 1-2 pitches. When he is done talking, Huges is like, "Full count now"

Unregistered
06-25-2003, 03:25 PM
I hope this conversation is going on while the Mighty Brewers scored 4 in the top of the inning to tie up the game... Go Brew Crew! :D:

cheeses_h_rice
06-25-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I just overheard the following conversation on WGN (stupid flub
fan has the game on here) RS-Ron Santo PH-Pat Hughes

PH: one more game tomorrow Ronny, and we head to the
Southside to play the sox. What a series that was
RS: (throat raspiness/clearing) You know pat, I wanted to
mention something about that series.
PH: whats that ron?
RS: This game seems like a Bigger game to me than the white sox games were
PH: the series was sold out Ronny
RS: last nite, we had what 40,000 here last nite?
PH: thats right, BIGGEST crowd of the year last nite
RS: I think these games might be bigger than the sox
games were. its more of a division rivalry. just seems to be
bigger to me
PH: These Brewer games are turning into big games
RS: I was really glad to see the Brewers come back to
the NATIONAL LEAGUE pat. Its so good for baseball and look
at this crowd. Look at the rivalry its created
PH: Thats right ronny. the Braves used to be in Milwaukee
RS: (oblivious to last statement by PH) Selig did the right
thing. I mean (raspy throat again) look at the people, everyone
is into the game right now.
PH At some point, these 2 teams will someday be fighting it out for 1st place, and can you imagine the RIVALRY that will be
when that happens?
RS: oh yeahhhh, thats going to be a lot of fun. 40,000 fans in August, cheering their teams on

I SCREAMED out when I heard this, because Every Stupid Cub
Fan who heard this transmission is immediately going to think
the Cubs and Brewers had this rivalry all the time. I thought to
myself....HEY RONNY YOU DUMB ASS, The BRAVES MOVED.
theyre in ATLANTA now. They have one of your pitchers as a matter of fact now. theyre gone. The Brewers Played the Sox
all the time. In fact, back when they were in the AL, the stadiums were ALWAYS FILLED with SOX/BREWERS fans and THAT WAS THE RIVALRY LONG BEFORE THIS ONE WAS ARTIFICIALLY CREATED. how can ONE TEAM, ITS FANS, THE MEDIA THAT COVERS THEM, be so out of touch with REALITY??

Allow me to translate:

Ron Santo: Yes, the Sox beat the Cubs 2 games to 1 and you could really hear the disappointment in my voice every time you turned on the radio during the series, except after the bottom of the 8th in game 3 when I probably sounded like the Cubs won game 7 of the World Series. But, I'm going to try to spin those games as being less meaningful based on the results, and instead hype up a series between the absolutely worthless bottom-feeders of the NL Central and our golden boys because 40,000 fratboys have filled the seats on this 90 degree day. I mean, a SOLD OUT game during the middle of summer, when everyone is out of school, at Wrigley Field? That almost never happens. So, yeah, this Milwaukee thing is a true rivalry. And, seeing as Milwaukee's pitchers serve up nothing but BP to such studs as Kerry Wood, I'll go on record as saying this is SO much more important than that minor, unimportant, downplayed, minuscule Sox series. After all, the Brew Crew is in our division, and we all know what a threat they are to take it all this year.

Pat Hughes: That's right, Ronny. And don't forget, we have Pam Dawber here to sing 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame' in the 7th, and also to talk about her new sitcom, 'What Planet Are You From?', debuting tomorrow night on the WB.

fquaye149
06-25-2003, 05:24 PM
did you hear the announcer during the saturday sox cubs game who said, "and it's just a shame ron santo isn't in the hall of fame...it's a crime" or something to that extent.

give me a f$%%ing break...mazeroski deserves the hall more than he

ewokpelts
06-25-2003, 06:52 PM
....that cub fans think am1000's broadcasts are boring.....

T Dog
06-25-2003, 07:07 PM
I was on Mayfair Road in suburban Milwaukee traffic today when that exchange was going on, listening to WGN instead of WTMJ. I could believe what I was hearing, but I still regarded it as garbage. The Cubs announcers are so happy to see the Brewers in the National League and act like the people of Milwaukee demanded the switch. I talk to a lot of people up here who miss American League competition.

The stories of the Sox-Brewers rivalry are legendary. My boss told me that he took the family to see the Sox at a sold-out County Stadium game so heated in the seats that vendors had to cut off beer sales in the second or third inning. I don't know if the Sox were the Brewers biggest rival, though. The rivalry with Minnesota may have been bigger with the fans. Trading two geographical rivals for a rivalry with the Cubs probably seems like a good deal to Santo.

vegyrex
06-25-2003, 07:20 PM
Cubs - Brewers rivalry? Hehe, yeah right. Haven't they fought for last place a few times??

RKMeibalane
06-25-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by vegyrex
Cubs - Brewers rivalry? Hehe, yeah right. Haven't they fought for last place a few times??

That's Post of the Week material.

duke of dorwood
06-25-2003, 08:39 PM
I once went to a twi night doubleheader-Sox Brewers in Milwaukee. What a night-that Santo is a dolt

DrCrawdad
06-25-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
....that cub fans think am1000's broadcasts are boring.....

Santo's stammering and stuttering combined with his "ah", "ums" make for a fantastic broadcast.

WGN calls it the Pat & Ron Show because if you turn a Cub radio broadcast on you can listen for long lapses and never hear the score or anything about what's happening in the game.

http://wgnradio.com/sports/photos/cubsbooth03patjacket.jpg
"Ron, it's time for the attendance game...Now Ron we're going to interview some so-called celebrity..."

http://wgnradio.com/sports/photos/cubsbooth02ronsleg.jpg
"Well Patrick you are such a cheapskate...you never pay for dinner..."

Boy oh boy those two are great!

Many Cubbie fans love Pat & Ron, but let's not confuse that with being good.

Ron Santo, probably a good guy but a horrible broadcaster.

Thunderstruck30
06-25-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by vegyrex

LOL I was just thinking that.

Fisk Fan
06-26-2003, 08:28 AM
I cannot believe that Ronnie's prosthetic legs actually look like little Cubs uniforms. Nice touch.

Still, the funniest broadcast was when Ronnie caught his toupee on fire from a nearby space heater. I'm sure he didn't yell as loud as when Brant Brown dropped that fly ball.

ewokpelts
06-26-2003, 08:45 AM
The only upside to the Brewers joining the NL was that thier attendence could see a spike from the northern suburban Cub fans that notice going to County/Miller was closer than going to the urinal. Also, a similar spike from Psycho Cards fans, who see the 90 mile trip as an encore from whatever Cub series they won @ the urinal. They would not have benefited from continued Sox/Twinkie games because in the soon to be Unbalanced Schedule world, the Brewers, then an AL East team, would not have met up with 2 central teams with any regularity.

mandmandm
06-26-2003, 09:37 AM
ewokpelts:

That is untrue. Bud Selig told us that the Brewers were moving to the national league becuase the team was much more suited for national league style of play. Based on the great success the Brewers had since moving to national league how can you argue otherwise?

I went up to County Stadium in 1994 and saw Frank jack a couple balls out of there. I really like County Stadium especially compared to the airplane hanger that currently hosts Milwaukee Brewer games.

LuvSox
06-26-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
I cannot believe that Ronnie's prosthetic legs actually look like little Cubs uniforms.

I'll bet they're corked.

Nellie_Fox
06-26-2003, 12:07 PM
On Sunday, I was driving back to Minnesota from Indianapolis. I was listening to the game on radio. By the end, I couldn't get WMVP so I had to listen to one of the 500 Iowa stations that carry the Cubs broadcast. I couldn't believe these two going on and on about the "amazing comeback" by the Cubs.

Hey guys: winning a game in which you were one run behind does not constitute a "comeback."

DrCrawdad
06-26-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
...Hey guys: winning a game in which you were one run behind does not constitute a "comeback."

Details, details, details.