PDA

View Full Version : Konerko officially benched

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-25-2003, 02:16 PM
from espn.com (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0625/1572748.html)

Daubach!

1951Campbell
06-25-2003, 02:38 PM
It's about time--I'm neither surprised nor sad.

hold2dibber
06-25-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
It's about time--I'm neither surprised nor sad.

I'm more surprised that it took Manuel this long to come to his senses. With the offense struggling and a guy who has some proven ability (Daubach) on the bench, the time for replacing PK came about 3 weeks ago, IMHO. However, I still think PK will come around,* but he's going to have to have to earn his ABs now.

* If he does, as some of suggested, have a degenerative hip condition, than all bets are off. But short of one poster (Stef), I haven't heard anyone confirm this injury, despite having tried to do some due diligence myself. This is meant as no disrespect toward Stef, who I find to be reliable and trustworthy, but that doesn't mean she might be wrong in this particular instance -- I'm still looking for corroboration.

1951Campbell
06-25-2003, 03:07 PM
maybe we can interpret KW's comments on the radio as "take the benching since we can't send you to AAA." I don't know. It's all tea-leaf reading, much like the hip thing.

Iwritecode
06-25-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'm more surprised that it took Manuel this long to come to his senses. With the offense struggling and a guy who has some proven ability (Daubach) on the bench, the time for replacing PK came about 3 weeks ago, IMHO. However, I still think PK will come around,* but he's going to have to have to earn his ABs now.

* If he does, as some of suggested, have a degenerative hip condition, than all bets are off. But short of one poster (Stef), I haven't heard anyone confirm this injury, despite having tried to do some due diligence myself. This is meant as no disrespect toward Stef, who I find to be reliable and trustworthy, but that doesn't mean she might be wrong in this particular instance -- I'm still looking for corroboration.

I found this on the Cubune's website from a Q&A with Teddy Greenstein. It's dated June 19 so it may have already been posted, but it's the first time I've seen anything about it in print. Not exactly a clear answer one way or another and I'm not sure it's the most reliable source in the world either...

Teddy, I have repeatedly heard rumors that Paul Konerko's problems this year have been caused by a degenerative hip condition. If this is true, it would be devastating news - particularly in light of the big contract the Sox gave him in the off-season. Any truth to the rumor? --Michael Foley, Downers Grover, Ill.

I asked Konerko about this. He says all his body parts are intact, thank you very much.

voodoochile
06-25-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

:jerry
"Yeah, it's June and almost July, so I am going to start using players who can actually play a bit..."

RKMeibalane
06-25-2003, 05:25 PM
The only thing that bothers me about this situation is that Manuel has benched players before, only to have them back in the lineup a few days later (SEE: Royce Clayton). I'm hoping that JM keeps his word this time around. Besides, Konerko should have been benched a month ago. It was as clear than as it is now that he isn't hitting well, and has no business being in the lineup until he gets his swing back in order.

gosox41
06-25-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
The only thing that bothers me about this situation is that Manuel has benched players before, only to have them back in the lineup a few days later (SEE: Royce Clayton). I'm hoping that JM keeps his word this time around. Besides, Konerko should have been benched a month ago. It was as clear than as it is now that he isn't hitting well, and has no business being in the lineup until he gets his swing back in order.

:jerry
I'm what's called a 'Tinkerer.' In the world of Tinkerer's no decision is final or else I'd no longer be considered a 'Tinkerer.'

Bob

voodoochile
06-26-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

Uncanny. It's like you are psychic or something... (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21167)