PDA

View Full Version : Sox Playoff possibilities

dougs78
06-25-2003, 10:38 AM
I was looking at some team stats the other day and found this to be quite interesting.

The Sox are currently averaging about 4.04 runs per game. The only teams in the past 3 years to average fewer were last years Detroit Tigers and Milwaukee Brewers (yes, thats right, last years devil rays averaged more). Obviously this does not bode well for our chances this season unless it improves.

Conversely though, we are only allowing about 4.45 runs per game this season. In the past 3 seasons there have only be two teams to allow fewer runs than that and NOT make the playoffs. Both were last season and were very good teams (Seattle and Boston).

As a whole these numbers are quite weird. I think it shows that we are at a crossroads of sorts. If our offense improves I think this shows we have a good chance at the playoffs. If our offense continues as is we would be one of the worst offensive teams in recent history. As I've been saying all year, from my perspective the offense simply will improve, and that to me is a positive sign for our playoff chances this season.

PS: as a reference, last season we scored 5.28 runs per game and allowed 4.92.

Dadawg_77
06-25-2003, 11:17 AM
The scary thing is coming into this season everyone thought our SP was our biggest hole. What were the Sox strengths are now the Sox biggest weakness, offense and the pen. If the Sox can turn those around, the playoff don't seem that improbable.

TheRockinMT
06-25-2003, 04:19 PM
I would rather see the Sox 4 1/2 games ahead right now rather than 4 1/2 games out, but, no matter we are still in this and if we can get that devastating offense going and continued good pitching we can win this thing.

fquaye149
06-25-2003, 05:13 PM
i will catch serious flak for this, but the sox are still my pick to win the world series

a pipe dream, maybe...but we have only a couple weaknesses to shore up up the middle

and you can't buy the starting pitching we've got.....or at least it's hard to

when our bats heat up, it's not gonna be out of the question