PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Williams on the Radio

White Stocking
06-25-2003, 10:13 AM
Did anyone catch KW last night on AM 1000's Afternoon Thunder? I may be reading too much into this, but when asked about Paul Konerko and why he isn't getting his swings in down in AAA, KW responded by "a player of Paul's tenure and skill have to come to us and request to be sent down, a club doesn't request a seemingly health veteran to get shipped to the minors" - This isn't word for word, but do think Kenny is trying to give Konerko a clue?

Randar68
06-25-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by White Stocking
Did anyone catch KW last night on AM 1000's Afternoon Thunder? I may be reading too much into this, but when asked about Paul Konerko and why he isn't getting his swings in down in AAA, KW responded by "a player of Paul's tenure and skill have to come to us and request to be sent down, a club doesn't request a seemingly health veteran to get shipped to the minors" - This isn't word for word, but do think Kenny is trying to give Konerko a clue?

A player has to volunteer to be sent down once they have tenure, per the MLBPA agreemenent.

FJA
06-25-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by White Stocking

I heard it, and let's put it this way: I don't think KW would refuse Paulie's request.

mandmandm
06-25-2003, 11:23 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep252.html

From this its sounds like management is not communicating to him at all. You would think that if they approached him by saying "you know Paul, we are going to need you if we are going to win the division, would you be open to spending 10 days in the minors to work on your swing without the pressure of playing in the majors" he would go for it. Between Manual and Williams, I doubt the creativity to come up with this idea is there.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by mandmandm
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep252.html

From this its sounds like management is not communicating to him at all. You would think that if they approached him by saying "you know Paul, we are going to need you if we are going to win the division, would you be open to spending 10 days in the minors to work on your swing without the pressure of playing in the majors" he would go for it. Between Manual and Williams, I doubt the creativity to come up with this idea is there.

Agreed. As much as Paulie has been down this year, we need to remember that most of us have always enjoyed his attitude. If people came to him respectfully and suggested such a thing...even including a guaranteed callup date, no matter his progress, I think he would do it. Or maybe I just think that because he SHOULD do it. We'll probably never know.

He's one of those players who you feel like with any given day, any given swing, he can snap out of it...maybe playing everyday against poor pitching could do it.

Paulwny
06-25-2003, 12:13 PM
Maybe he's afraid to request a move to AAA.
What happens if he finds out he can't hit AAA pitching?
He's already a head case, if this happens he'll be in a padded room.

Randar68
06-25-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Maybe he's afraid to request a move to AAA.
What happens if he finds out he can't hit AAA pitching?
He's already a head case, if this happens he'll be in a padded room.

he hasn't been able to get the ball out of the infield in weeks, but in Charlotte, those are nearly HR's... LOL!

MetalliSox
06-25-2003, 12:55 PM
Did Josh Paul ask to be sent back down to AAA? Paul has done more for us in less game then Konerko has this season.

Randar68
06-25-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
Did Josh Paul ask to be sent back down to AAA? Paul has done more for us in less game then Konerko has this season.

No, he doesn't have the MLB service time. He is out of Options, so he has to clear waivers eachtime they designate him for assignment. Also, since this is the second time he's been designated for assignment, he can choose to become a FA.

duke of dorwood
06-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Well right now, we have a roster spot taken by someone who cant play. As dumb as it sounds, Mr Versatile was a more valuable member of the team right now, and he's gone.