PDA

View Full Version : Brian Anderson debut...

Randar68
06-25-2003, 11:03 AM
1st rounder, Brian Anderson made his pro debut last night at Great Falls of the Pioneer Rookie league. He went 1-4 with 1 K, 1 BB, 2 RBI, 1 RS, and 1 SB.

Jeremy Reed went 3-4 at Birmingham last night, raising his average since his callup to .360.

Chisoxfn
06-25-2003, 12:01 PM
The Sox players from the Carolina league did very good as well. They played the California league All Stars and it was a real cool game.

Ryan Wing started the game and only gave up a hit in his couple innings. Honel came in during relief and Meaux got the save.

Watching Honel warm up in the pen, he was filthy. Great movement on his fastball (can move it in our out) and that knuckle curve was sick. The grip on it was really cool.

When Ryan Wing was pitching he hit 90 once and most of his stuff was around 86-87. His pitches have very good sinking action to them and he really varies his speeds. His pitches were anywhere from 90 to 69 MPH. His offspeed stuff was in the low 80's, mid 70's and low 70's from what I noticed. (There was a MPH thing at the park).

Ruddy Yan played and didn't have an amazing game. He definately has somethings to work on, but holy crap can this guy run. Watching him take off he ran like Rickey Henderson - QUICK ACCELERATION.

Randar68
06-25-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
The Sox players from the Carolina league did very good as well. They played the California league All Stars and it was a real cool game.

Ryan Wing started the game and only gave up a hit in his couple innings. Honel came in during relief and Meaux got the save.

Watching Honel warm up in the pen, he was filthy. Great movement on his fastball (can move it in our out) and that knuckle curve was sick. The grip on it was really cool.

When Ryan Wing was pitching he hit 90 once and most of his stuff was around 86-87. His pitches have very good sinking action to them and he really varies his speeds. His pitches were anywhere from 90 to 69 MPH. His offspeed stuff was in the low 80's, mid 70's and low 70's from what I noticed. (There was a MPH thing at the park).

Ruddy Yan played and didn't have an amazing game. He definately has somethings to work on, but holy crap can this guy run. Watching him take off he ran like Rickey Henderson - QUICK ACCELERATION.

Great to hear. If Honel can build his frame to match his talent, he is going to be something special. I do worry about his health, but he has an easy delivery and good mechanics. It's been a while since I've seen him, is he still skinny as a rail? What would you guess his weight to be? He was only about 170-175 pounds when he was drafted, and he's 6'6"!

Wing has some filthy stuff. Great change of speeds, as you noted.

xil357
06-25-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
1st rounder, Brian Anderson made his pro debut last night at Great Falls of the Pioneer Rookie league. He went 1-4 with 1 K, 1 BB, 2 RBI, 1 RS, and 1 SB.

Jeremy Reed went 3-4 at Birmingham last night, raising his average since his callup to .360.

How far away is Reed from the show? Can he play CF? Everything I've heard about him has been glowing.

Randar68
06-25-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by xil357
How far away is Reed from the show? Can he play CF? Everything I've heard about him has been glowing.

He'd be a better option in CF than Rowand or Harris, if that's what you're asking. He has played a lot of RF this year because both Winston-Salem and Birmingham have pure CF'ers that play there, although neither is much of a prospect.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a September call-up. If Harris or Rowand go down before then and he keeps raking in AA, I really wouldn't be surprised to see him up earlier (although LTP might be the one to get the call in this scenario if he turns his season around).

At the pace he's on, mid-season next year as full-time CF is a reasonable projection. He has excellent plate judgement and is LH, both needs of this team. A lot depends on the development of LTP and the situation in Chicago with the OF (Lee to DH next year, etc...)

Chisoxfn
06-25-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by xil357

If Reed keeps hitting the cover off the ball he could be in Charlotte in a month or so. Reed is progressing very well. I think the Sox are getting higher and higher on this kid. He's a great defensive player, is very patient and has very good speed.

When I think of him ,the name Erstad comes to mind. Won't be an absolute star, but will do everything real good, imo.

Chisoxfn
06-25-2003, 01:18 PM
Great to hear. If Honel can build his frame to match his talent, he is going to be something special. I do worry about his health, but he has an easy delivery and good mechanics. It's been a while since I've seen him, is he still skinny as a rail? What would you guess his weight to be? He was only about 170-175 pounds when he was drafted, and he's 6'6"!

Wing has some filthy stuff. Great change of speeds, as you noted.

I can do you better. I got footage of all the players there (sox players). I also got a ton of pictures. Honel looked very good size. He's no small kid. His stature reminds me a lot to Kerry Wood. Tall, good size.

I'd say he's 215 or so, maybe bigger.

Sometime today I'll get the footage finished as well as a writeup on the entire game.

Randar68
06-25-2003, 01:22 PM
I can do you better. I got footage of all the players there (sox players). I also got a ton of pictures. Honel looked very good size. He's no small kid. His stature reminds me a lot to Kerry Wood. Tall, good size.

I'd say he's 215 or so, maybe bigger.

Sometime today I'll get the footage finished as well as a writeup on the entire game.

Digital pictures? If you are going to post them, that would be great. If you could e-mail any that are good, I'd appreciate it also. Send me a private message!

SoxxoS
06-25-2003, 01:23 PM
I think Reed can be an absolute star. Somebody that does everything really well is an absolute star IMO. I am not comparing Reed to this guy I am about to mention by ANY STRETCH...however...Willie Mays is a CF that didn't do anything extremely special, but did everything very, very well.

Also, if Rocco Baldelli can do it, I think Reed (who has better plate disipline) can too. Give him 2-3 more weeks at AA, and see what happens. If he is still hitting above .315-.320 just promote him to the majors. See what happens. He is probably more MLB ready than Borchard and they brought Borchard up...

Chisoxfn
06-25-2003, 01:24 PM
Digital pictures? If you are going to post them, that would be great. If you could e-mail any that are good, I'd appreciate it also. Send me a private message!

Will do. I have all the picturese and movies up, but am working on a story. I just emailed Dave to make sure its cool to post a link to it, but I'll pm you right now :D:

Randar68
06-25-2003, 01:24 PM
If Reed keeps hitting the cover off the ball he could be in Charlotte in a month or so. Reed is progressing very well. I think the Sox are getting higher and higher on this kid. He's a great defensive player, is very patient and has very good speed.

When I think of him ,the name Erstad comes to mind. Won't be an absolute star, but will do everything real good, imo.

Similar take from me as well. I don't know if the Sox would rush him up to AAA after only a month or 2 of games in Birmingham. IMO, they will leave him there barring a September callup to get adjusted to AA pitching and to get a half season of experience in. If all goes well, he'd start 2004 in AAA.

His SO:BB numbers will likely be down for a time while he adjusts to AA.

Chisoxfn
06-25-2003, 01:31 PM
Similar take from me as well. I don't know if the Sox would rush him up to AAA after only a month or 2 of games in Birmingham. IMO, they will leave him there barring a September callup to get adjusted to AA pitching and to get a half season of experience in. If all goes well, he'd start 2004 in AAA.

His SO:BB numbers will likely be down for a time while he adjusts to AA.
After a few games he's looking real good, but thats such a short period. I think it will be easier to gauge how fast he moves in the next couple weeks. If he keeps hitting it like he did in Winston Salem, I'd say he's going to be a quick mover.

I know the Barons have to be excited to have him because he provides some much needed offense.

Randar68
06-25-2003, 01:48 PM
After a few games he's looking real good, but thats such a short period. I think it will be easier to gauge how fast he moves in the next couple weeks. If he keeps hitting it like he did in Winston Salem, I'd say he's going to be a quick mover.

I know the Barons have to be excited to have him because he provides some much needed offense.

They'll appreciate his speed, too. You know how much Wally loves to run!

Hangar18
06-25-2003, 01:48 PM
Will do. I have all the picturese and movies up, but am working on a story. I just emailed Dave to make sure its cool to post a link to it, but I'll pm you right now :D:

Hey ChiSoxFan, yeah, those pics would be great, please
do post them. Speaking of pics, did you see the pic I posted
of you in the Gallery? its under LA Group Pic

Chisoxfn
06-25-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Hey ChiSoxFan, yeah, those pics would be great, please
do post them. Speaking of pics, did you see the pic I posted
of you in the Gallery? its under LA Group Pic

Ya, they came out real good. Will get the pics up. I also got video footage of the guys. The one of Yan came out horribly cause I was so far away, but the ones of the pitchers in the bullpen came out real good, imo.

Am working on it right now.